AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that HT Magazine was having a shootout with 7 RPTV's for their Feb issue. Is this issue out? And does anyone know what order the 7 units were in? I am going to pick up the issue this week if its out to get specifics. But, I am just curious how they ended up comparing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw the issue last night. Samsung won first place; I don't remember the order of the others exactly, but I THINK it was JVC second, followed closely by Sony. Mitsubishi and Toshiba were also tested. Four out of five judges picked Samsung #1. The main reasons given were best color accuracy and a defeatable DNie. The one judge NOT voting Samsung #1 also thought Samsung had the best color/picture, but thought the screen was too bright, since the Samsung doesn't have a user-closeable iris (it is closeable in the service menu evidently), while JVC and Sony have automatic irises. This article confirms what I have been seeing in the stores, and is a BIG reason I chose the Samsung HL-S7178--it simply has the most natural color of any tv I've seen, and it's contrast, detail, and lack of picture noise is about as good as any other.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags /forum/post/0

Wow, I am surprised how poorly the Mits did. Which model was it? I was interested in the WD-65731. Also, what Samsung model was ranked?

Mitsu model was the exact one you mention. Samsung was the S6188W.

Also, if you get the chance, go snag a copy of the mag. Maureen Jensen is very good at what she does, and the article (though not one of their best) is a good read.

·
Registered
300 Posts
1) Samsung HL-S6188W (93pts)

2) JVC HD-61FN97 (91pts)

3) Toshiba 62MX196 (90pts)

4) Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (89pts)

5) Mitsubishi WD-65731 (87pts)

6) Olevia 565H (85pts)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd /forum/post/0

not much of a difference in points(8 from highest to lowest) so i wonder how much weight can be put in the differences with these tv's?

That's my reaction too. What this really says is that all these sets will give a good viewing experience, and maybe the purchase decision would be better based on such factors as expected reliability, how the form factor fits one's space etc. I know that I am unlikely to be tempted to trade up from my G-series D-ILA until someone comes out with a good-looking display that doesn't eat expensive lamps every 6000 hours or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The fact is all of these sets are trade offs. The sammy has the best color accuracy but rainbows for many and is too bright for watching tv in the dark. The JVC has good blacks and a sharp picture but some issues with the color green so if you're a stickler for color accuracy you might want to look at something else, etc, etc.

You really have to decide which trade offs you can live with in addition to price if you're going to make a meaningful decision about which one to buy. I have a brand new JVC is my house and haven't decided yet if it stays.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx /forum/post/0

1) Samsung HL-S6188W (93pts)

2) JVC HD-61FN97 (91pts)

3) Toshiba 62MX196 (90pts)

4) Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (89pts)

5) Mitsubishi WD-65731 (87pts)

6) Olevia 565H (85pts)

Interesting. I wonder why they selected the top of the consumer line for Sammy, JVC and Sony, but dropped down a couple of models on the Mits. Did they explain their choices in the article?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran /forum/post/0

Interesting. I wonder why they selected the top of the consumer line for Sammy, JVC and Sony, but dropped down a couple of models on the Mits. Did they explain their choices in the article?

I don't believe the article mentioned why. I agree, they should have chosen the 732 or 831 series Mitsubishi. From reports of others, the contrast is improved on these from the 731, which was the main fault the group found with the Mitsubishi. In the area of color accuracy, though, I've compared the Samsungs to the 732/831 and still preferred the Samsung's color.

I know this is off-topic for the thread, but this leads me to a point of frustration I had in my recent television search: If the manufacterers feel that they must skew the color for showing on the B&M floors, why can't they at least offer an out-of-the-box setting option which corrects these obvious color inaccuracies for those who want NATURAL color? It appears that this shouldn't be that hard to do, yet few manufacterers seem to believe that this is something that the general public really wants

·
Registered
155 Posts
They also did not do any ISF calibration on these RPTV's, only what the user can do by themselves. I think it would have been better if they had done the deal the way they did it, then brought in an ISF guy to do a full cal on each set and then redid it... It could have been a few paragraphs longer to talk about how they did the cal and then a quick ranking. I suspect most of the folks that frequent THIS forum will either get their sets ISF calibrated or get close to that via hints on the various forum for their sets...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran /forum/post/0

The magazine probably got a kickback from Samsung.

The Mitsubishi 732/831 series are by far the best RPTV's out there. The 731 series doesn't have "perfect tint" and "dark detailer", big difference. The Sammy's have never impressed me primarily because of the noise factor. The list is meaningless.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/0

The magazine probably got a kickback from Samsung.

The Mitsubishi 732/831 series are by far the best RPTV's out there. The 731 series doesn't have "perfect tint" and "dark detailer", big difference. The Sammy's have never impressed me primarily because of the noise factor. The list is meaningless.

"by far the best RPTV's out there". That is a bold statement. The 732 series when calibrated was recommended that it be fed a 720P signal for everything including 1080i. I don't think the other TV's here have that limitation. The list is only meaningful when the TV someone prefers is at the top of it

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcar928fan /forum/post/0

I suspect most of the folks that frequent THIS forum will either get their sets ISF calibrated or get close to that via hints on the various forum for their sets...

i really doubt that. in fact, i bet if you took a poll here most people would say that they self calibrated the user settings using avia/dve and their eye. although, i think most would say that they've at least 'thought' about getting ISF'ed.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think the review is very useful to the many potential buyers in that class of display. I was very surprised that the JVC finished 2nd and the Sony XBR finished 4th. I doubt that I am alone in that respect. I do feel that they did Mitsubishi a tremendous disservice in testing the 731 instead if the 732 or 781.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett /forum/post/0

I would guess that the tv's were supplied by the manufacturer, so if it was an entry level mits, mits probably supplied it.

I agree with you (it's not a conspiracy, as some have suggested).

Of course, it is only one person's opinion. And other reviews likely have them in different orders. IMO, PQ is pretty close across all these displays, and any of them would look great in your home. One is not "by far" better than the others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New guy to the boards.....have been following threads for a few months now in an effort to make the best decision on a new HD RPTV. Great information available here!

Have narrowed my search down to three units.....the Samsung HLS-6188, the Mits 831 and the Sony XBR-2, with the Samsung being my "current leader".

However, Home Theater's "RPTV Shoot out" comments about the unit being "too bright with no way to adjust the light output in the user menu" and going further to actually "question the usability of this TV at night" gives me pause.

I have "auditioned" all three sets in every BB, CC, Tweeters, Fry's and Costco I can find in Houston, but they are always in "well lit" showrooms, never in a darkened room like I would have at night. They all looked fine under "daylight/bright showroom light" conditions.

Here are my questions.....

1) Is this a "real problem" or are they being "overly critical" about this?

2) Does anyone have "real experience" with this set in their own homes at night? What do you think?

3) Short of a professional calibration, is there no way to adjust the brightness on this set? Seems odd.......

Sorry for the long note....my wife is about to kill me and she wants her new HDTV now!!

Appreciate any insight or thoughts.....

Texasbobby

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
texasbobby, I don't understand that comment. You can adjust contrast and brightness in the main menu, using a calibration DVD such as AVIA or DVE as a guide. I watch my older model Samsung DLP in the dark all the time (that is how I prefer to watch it, although some prefer back illumination with all HDTVs).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.