AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest Home Theater Magazine just arrived and in a letter to the editor, a guy makes the case for them testing some business projectors such as the NEC LT150, the Infocus LP350, etc. and directly comparing them with projectors made specifically for the home theater market (at a much greater price). The reply was basically that those of us who use business projectors are nuts and that there was no way that these things can give a quality home theater experience. A certain un-named web site that suggested otherwise was also cut down. Them's fightn' words are far as I am concerned. I have owned two business XGA resolution DLP projectors since 1998 and using a HTPC, I couldn't be more happy. We have had a lot of enjoyment from the front projectors and as far as I am concerned, since Brent Butterworth left Home Theater magazine, it isn't worth having... unless you run out of toilet paper.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Which month is this? I'd like to see it for myself. It does seem a rather foolish and shortsighted position, considering that a lot of Home Theater companies, until recently, have been modifying light engines provided by business manufacturers (Runco especially). As some of the newer features in DLP specifically designed for HT (16:9 panels and high speed rgbrgb color wheels) become more prevalent in HT projectors, this may be more accurate, but it will never be entirely true. I'm offended by that remark and I don't even own a digital projector.

------------------

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

·
Registered
846 Posts
Where's gongshow when we need him most...

--Les (who bets they tested the LT150 with S-Video in)

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
260 Posts
How can you imply that we're NOT nuts? Have you read much here?

This extreme of HT is so much like home-brew, overclocked, watercooled PC construction - this is NOT SAFE STUFF!

Of course they have a valid point that their typical readers would never go to the extremes that AVS denizens might. But it must have been driving them nutz to keep hearing "but I can do it for $10,000 less..." Bet Runco/Bose don't like AVS Forum that much!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos:
A certain un-named web site that suggested otherwise was also cut down.
Gee, projectorcentral seems the likely un-named web site. I buy those rags on occassion, but I won't anymore. There is superior information here, and those rags are full of idiots if they print such stuff.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have heard the same line at high end AV stores. Of course they do not want you to buy a $3,000 projector from a computer warehouse outlet when they can sell you one for $15,000.

·
Registered
126 Posts
*qualification... I haven't *actually* read the magazine, so I will not comment on the HT-Mag's editor's reply... RANT MODE ON

In the past, HT magazine has had a very elitist mentality, coupled with high school (no, strike that) junior high adolescent sense of humor. I remember a many-paged parody of low-end home theater where they got a big kick out of making fun of people who buy speakers from Radio Shack and use lamp cord for speaker wires. I remember being amazed at how many pages of that issue's content was made up of that ridiculousness.

Contrast this to the bleeding-edge, technological savvy and cost consciousness of most of the forum members here. Members seem to appreciate true price vs. performance (bang for the buck) instead of simply being wowed by the "spec" that HT-mag seems most impressed with... the price tag. It's a given that most of the members here were probably enjoying prog-scan sources and displays long before the adolescents at HT-mag were even aware of the concept. (Witness an article a few years back where they reviewed prog-scan capable displays using only NTSC inputs).

So I say... give me the AVS forum any day over the elitist-without-a-clue HT-mag staff. Give me the do-it-yourselfers helping each other out with homemade screens and HTPCs and how to have a HT without jeopardizing the kid's college fund. Hell yes, I'd pay a subscriptions fee to this forum long before I would consider subscribing to HT-mag.

RANT OFF... of course, that's my opinion, I may be wrong http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
It's a given that most of the members here were probably enjoying prog-scan sources and displays long before the adolescents at HT-mag were even aware of the concept.
No comment on the other issues, but I'll have to dispute the above statement. Mike Wood of HT Mag did an article on the 3DFusion Mpact2 board as the first progressive scan capable product on the market, as the debate raged on about the first Toshiba DVD players that were nixed early in the game. And many of us know how much that was priced at the time.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Kei,

Mike Wood is the ONLY reviewer at HT that seems to know his stuff. The rest are a bunch of clowns parading as "experts" in fields they really know little about, having no believable credentials whatsoever (not that I have, but then I do respect the sciences, solid engineering, and the laws of physics).

And never mind the magazine's crazy delivering schedule; truly irritating...although not as much as the great majority of their writers...

-THTS

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I agree,

Mike Wood is the best reviewer HT Magazine offers, i certainly miss the days when Brent Butterworth, Jeff Cherun and Joe Hageman were working for this magazine. Their reviews were well though out, accurate and funny but Home Theater Mag's reviewers as of late just try to be funny. They are doing a piss poor job to say the least in my opinion. Call me a clown for subscribing to their magazine i guess.

------------------

Serge Breton

LaSalle Custom Audio/Video

·
Registered
65 Posts
The offending letter to the editor show up in the November 2001 issue, vol. 8, #11. All I know is that my LT150 that I just received last week, blows away the picture of my 4 year old Toshiba RPTV at 1000.00 less then what I paid for the tv.

Steve

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
While I'm not prepared to debate the question of whether we are "nuts" around here, I can state with certainty we have a lot of company in our craziness, particularly at my house where we can't get the visitors out of the HT room these days. My Boxlight 38T business projector is definitely all business when it comes to projecting sharp, detailed, colorful, contrasty and BRIGHT movies that knock the pants off of the local cineplex.

There's ample reason to question our sanity, but the fact we've made a successful end run around the purveyors of grossly overpriced HT is not one of them.

Dan

·
Registered
111 Posts
I look at it this way now. I've had the arguements with the local high-end store and feel that I simply have found a great secret. When my guests come to my house to be wow'd watching a movie, they don't have to know the countless hours I've spent on the forum, and how the forum has helped me. Unless they have an interest. Then I'm willing to let them in on our little secret with great enthusiasm. I say let them think we spent a fortune for our hobby! If the home theater magazines think what the forum members pursue is ridiculous, let them. We will be reaping the benefits.

------------------

Len

·
Registered
733 Posts
Personally I don't care what the magazines think. Those people have their reality and I have mine. This forum is way ahead of those guys so this is where I spend my "hobby" time - not reading those particular magazines. It does show a rather close minded mentality though - their problem.

If they think we're crazy then we should just take it as a compliment - it's fun being different!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Even when Brent was there still, back in early 2000, there was no inclination to check out a D-ILA projector, as I was urgently suggesting they do. The most that was said was something about Mike Wood having mentioned artifacts. They would however be checking out the one chip Runco (which one....back then about $15,000?) that I had seen outside the big 3-tube demo rooms at Runco's space at CES in 1999, which looked like total garbage compared to what I had already seen on my G10.

But in fairness, it WAS a "Home Theater" magazine, I figured, taking advertisement money from "Home Theater" companies. JVC sure as heck wasn't taking out add space.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again. They're both in bed together.

I crack AVI open last night for the first time in months. What did I see? Pioneer and their new ad slogan. It goes something like this...

"you can spend a year or so researching the best Home Theater or you can buy it now and start enjoying. Pioneer Elite model XXXXX"

Talk about arrogance and being condescending. Or are they trying to say..."we only want to sell to dumb people with lots of $$$$$." This keep em uninformed mentality is the same used with any form of people control.

Advertizers and Mags must be talking...in bed. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
119 Posts
Couldn't give a quality home theater experience? That's not what Mike McGann wrote in Sept. 1999 when he reviewed the DreamVision DL500.
http://www.audioplusservices.com/audiopl/dv-revu.htm

I guess he changed his mind when he found it was a rebranded business projector.

Tony

P.S. Notice the paragraph where he talks about how well the scan converter works.

[This message has been edited by tonypeps (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember a conversation with one of the "high end" HT dealers in NJ. I just cracked up..

> I am thinking of an LT150 for my HT

Dealer> LT150?? who makes it?

>Oh,it' s one of those XGA DLP projectors from NEC.

Dealer> If i were you I wouldn't get a business projector for HT. The fans in the small projectors are too small to handle video!!

I walked out of the door with visuals of a fan trying hard to "push" the pixels out of the projector onto the screen http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
In that same issue of Home Theater on page 134, they have a small article on an upcoming projector, the PLUS HE-3100, which they say is to be tentatively priced under $3000. They tout it as a home theater projector, but made no mention of native resolution. they did say it was 450 lumens, 700:1 contrast ratio, and has 3:2 pulldown built-in. What gives? If these business projectors don't output a good image, then why is this product mentioned?

I have heard the same comments from AV retail salesmen. They just want you to buy the expensice stuff, when they can't even afford it!. Just a few months ago, when I saw the Runco VX-1 at Epcot at the Ultimate Home Theater Experience, I was very impressed. I never thought that I would have 90% of the quality with my setup for a fraction of the price. If it weren't for this forum, this would be a hobby only for the rich. But we all get to enjoy it. I think in Asia it must be different since they are way more electronics savvy than we are. I think that is changing, though. Did you also notice the ad for projector people in both this month's Home Theater and Sound & Vision? They show projectors from 3 to 5 grand. I'm sure this will interest some page flippers who recently thought that front projectors were only for the rich. It's a conspiracy, I say!

------------------

Kenwood KR-V990D Receiver

Apex AD-800 DVD Player

Pioneer CLD-D606 Laserdisc Player

Sony SLV-778HF HiFi VCR

Sony 35" Trinitron TV

Acoustic Research TSW-510 Main speakers

Infinity Center speaker

Boston Acoustics Rear in-wall speakers

Denon 8" subwoofer

NEC LT150 Projector

Dalite 100" model B matte white