AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After receiving the latest issue of Home Theater magazine in the mail yesterday, I lost my last bit of respect for that magazine. Reviews throughout the issue were filled with poor journalism, mis-statements, etc. This is repeated in other magazines- notably SGHT, and Sound and Vision- although S&V seems to be better as of late- it has moved up in my book over both the aforementioned.

The only magazine that I find truly educational and usually accurate is Widescreen Review, although it isn't perfect, either. But it's lightyears ahead of Home Theater, no doubt. Check out each of the latest issues and compare the SUPERIOR review of the Sharp XV-Z10000 by Greg Rogers in WSR.

Okay, I am done venting.

Andrew B.

·
Registered
27,721 Posts
Oh, my....I didn't think anyone here who received Homn Theater magazine would admit it.

Aside from Sound and Vision, it is the National Enquirer of home theater rags.

To me, Widescreen Review is the closest to the New Yourk Times in terms of content (No liberal bias, but heavy DTS leanings).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
And JVC too.
I agree.

For a while I thought they should rename WSR "D-Theater Monthly"!

Still one of the best though, IMHO.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
"For a while I thought they should rename WSR "D-Theater Monthly"!

Totally. For a while that was getting m-o-n-o-t-o-n-o-u-s!

I was just going through all my home theater mags, throwing them out to clear space. Home theater hardware obsolescence is almost like computers these days, given the pace of advancement. I found the one mag I didn't want to get rid of was The Perfect Vision. That's because it has a quality that moves beyond the hardware - to insightful write-ups on a variety of subjects. I really like their DVD film reviews, which often unearth hidden gems that send me searching the video stores.

Now, Home Theater Magazine....whew! The writing there can leave me baffled about exactly who they are writing for, and what they wish to accomplish. For instance, there was a review of the Fujitsu 5002 50" plasma display. This plasma was almost a turning point in plasmas as far as PQ. Sellers, customers and reviewers generally raved...Tom Norton of Stereophile Guide To Home Theater did an excellent job of evaluating this plasma's amazing picture quality, and deemed it the best image he's ever seen anywhere around it's size (even preferred it over a Madrigal $64,000 front projector).

But...what did Home Theater have to say about this display? For two pages it read like the author was typing out the Fuji's operating manual: who cares? And how was this display's picture quality? How about this single, scintillating sentence: "The Fujitsu produces virtually no fan noise, and it's picture is very pleasing with good sharpness and black levels."

That's it. A comment on the picture quality at the end of a sentence describing the fan noise.

It reminds me of how Stereo Review used to write (thank goodness they are a little better now). After detailing every "feature" of a piece of audio electronics the inevitable performance description was:

"...sounded fine."

(I always wondered if every single item sounded "fine," why bother "reviewing" them...simply publish the item's manual).

Rich H.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I used to read WSR all the time, but the last couple of of years I've been

more and more annoyed. It was good enough at a time when I didn't know

very much, but now I find it uninteresting. That goes for all the the other

mags. I would buy these mags to learn, but I learn here on AVS.

Nicholas

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
They all suck. All have agendas. I prefer The Perfect Vision. I used to like Widescreen until they started reviewing products. One reviewer claimed that the Vandersteen 3A Sig was the BEST speaker ever made EXCEPT for the Vanderseen 5. A little biased, perhaps? It was like watching a train wreck. The review consisted of "Richard Vandersteen says.....". The single worst and most biased and uninformed review of a product I've ever seen. Nothing against Vandersteen, but nothing is "the best" and that kind of rhetoric from a magazine I thought was good was disheartening. I wrote a nasty letter that they heard they printed and "rebuked", but by that time I didn't care what they had to say. Most of the rest just want to cheerlead for every brand equally (HT, S&V) or for whatever costs the most (SGHT). Any more the reviews should just be "_______ is as good as other products costing twice as much, not that I could state what those products would be". Just insert the product name and sign off on it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've turned away from most magazines in general.

For computers I stick to forums and on-line reviews, i.e. toms hardware, anandtech, none of theses are without bias but they get the review of new hardware much faster than a mag.

For learning about HT/audio/video stuff I come here and read.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, WSR is not perfect, but I still find their reviews to be much more in-depth, at least their projector reviews... there is no better place for projector and video display reviews. But I do get tired of what is almost like a DTS party line in their DVD reviews- the advantages listed for the DTS over the AC-3 track spew out like a broken record- so predictable. Don't get me wrong, I love DTS, but it ain't that cut and dry.

And sometimes their reviews do leave me a bit baffled, but overall they are a head above the rest. I have not seen enough of Perfect Vision to really say.

Andrew B.

·
Registered
25,255 Posts
I think WSR is the best. If you go back and pull out old issues they are very good reading (I've collected since 1997). They have generally so much more detail in the writing in their equipment reviews . Some of their special series articles like the history of widescreen films and how this developed and transpired will be good reading years later. I think The Perfect Vision is the first runner up. I do however agree with Kip and WSR is the only HT mag I subscribe to!

Art

·
Registered
197 Posts
I prefer Perfect Vision. It is informative, it is formatted very well, and I get the sense that they would rather upset a potential advertiser than not be critical when they see a need for it. For example, PV bashes the Pio Elite 47A (not the 47Ai) for its lack of bass management in DVD-Audio and what it perceives as overall mediocrity in audio performance.

Even if I disagree with that statement, at least it is stating it clearly. Widescreen Review reviewed the same component and gave a softer criticism. Bottom line for me is that PV gives me a better sense of how a component performs relative to others in its price range and/or market niche. Their industry trends article are also informative and fairly-well researched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.