AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the HT200 demo hosted by Peter Kang last night, all of us lamented the fact that it is near impossible to get a decent projector demo at any home theater shop around NYC. I'm willing to bet that if we had monthly or bi-monthly meetings to demo our projectors that there would be a ton of interest among home theater enthusiasts.

I have volunteered to have a 10HT demo, and there was a mention of a possible D-ILA demo. If anybody else is interested in attending more demos or would want to host a demo of their setup, please let us know.

I think that the most we would want to do is one meeting a month. Here's a list of what I think most of us would find interesting:

1) Demos of different projectors

2) Demos of HDTV through various sources (i.e. satellite, OTA, etc)

3) Demos of different HTPC configurations

4) Demos of different screens

5) Demos of different speakers, processors, etc.

5) Shootouts of any of the above

Other ideas are encouraged.

Post here if you are interested and hopefully we can set something up that would be helpful and educational to all of us.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brian,

I would be very interested in participating in a home theater user group meeting in NJ or NY. It happens I live right near you in Upper Saddle River. I have a dedicated HT and I'd be happy to host a DILA demo (especially if people could tune my set-up).

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree- slim pickings in the NY area. I would like to see a d-ila setup so I could make a decision finally. I live in Rockland County and places around the area carry Runco and thats it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea. I'm still shopping for a TV/projector solution right now, but once I finally settle & get it all up & and running I'd be happy to host a get together.

Mike

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
As I said in my post to Brian's critique of the demonstration hosted by Peter Kang, I think that this is a great idea. I am still shopping for a projector and would be very interested in seeing other setups, notably a D-ila setup.

I would also be willing to host a demonstration once I have put together a system.

Alan

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think this is a great idea.

Do we want to start planning a get-together for 3-4 weeks from now? Which projector would we like to see next? Brian has offered his 10HT, ssands, are you offering to demo your DILA? I think there's a lot of interest in seeing a DILA, so you better mean it if you offer it! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted a somewhat wordy writeup of the demo at Peter's apartment a few threads below. This should be the link: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006441.html

Oh, and I did forget to mention his view. I was fortunate enough to arrive in time to see the end of a spectacular sunset.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would definitely be in on this action. I wished I could have made it to Peter's last night. I already spoke to him about not being able to make it - and we are trying to get it going another time.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had a great time last night, and was really impressed with the HT200! I also agree we should do this again in a few weeks, especially considering that we all live in "Runcoland."

Thanks again Peter for having us over...

·
Registered
148 Posts
This would be great. I'm shopping for my first projector, and all I've seen is Harvey's and the home entertainment expo demos. I really want to see some A/B comparisons and also how they hold up with ambiant lighting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I live in northern Westchester county and like this idea too. I'm the guy who started the thread (rope!) a couple weeks ago on Runco. I have the VX-1c and would be willing to both host and attend a bi-monthly meeting of enthusiasts...although my wife will kill me if this turns into a neighborhood demo room...unless i can find a way of runco paying me to do this http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, I would be interested in seeing a DILA as well as other projectors, I have a 10ht and a greyhawk and am curious to see some other 10ht's in action for comparison. keep me in mind for any meetings, Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
This sounds like a great idea. I just ordered a Nec 6pg and CI from AVS, so it should be set up in a couple of weeks. BTW, I need to do a ceiling mount and if anyone knows anyone reputable I could hire to install I would love to know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put my ceiling mount up last weekend using about $20 worth of supplies at Home Depot. Of course, it doesn't have the super professional look of a $300+ mount, but I don't think it looks too shabby.

I would say that the hardest part of a ceiling mount would be finding the joists in the ceiling. Fortunately, I have a suspended ceiling, so that part was trivial. The nice part about non-CRT projectors is that they are so light that you actually don't need to find the joists.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would be happy to host a meeting at the back end of June. Don't want it to be for more that a dozen or so or my wife will kill me.

My set-up is as follows"

Uncalibrated G11

CI scaler

Pioneer Elite DV-F07 DVD

Tivo

Dish 6000

Adcom pre-amp/amps

Altantic Technology 350 Speakers

e-mail me at [email protected] if there is interest or post here.

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if my prior post made it...so I'll try again. I'm happy to host a meeting at my place to demo my set-up. Best time would be the back-end of June. Please e-mail me if you're interested. I could probably accommodate a dozen or so guys without my wife killing me. Let me know if you would prefer a Friday night or Saturday afternoon. My set-up is shown below.

P.S. I'm aka ssands (my ID on my computer at work).

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'd definitely love to come. I just sent you e-mail Steven.

The only thing is that I won't be able to attend between Friday June 22nd and Sunday July 1st. So could we do it outside those dates?

Mike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.