AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a newer surround sound system. I currently have a Sony STR-K790 HTiB that I purchased a few years back for around $150 (I know its terrible). My budget is around $500, I only need 5.1 and do not want a dvd player, the main use of the system would be for Blu-ray watching. I will be connecting it to my Panasonic TH-42pz80u, PS3, Xbox360, HD DVR, and maybe my pc. Do you think I would be better off buying pieces or another HTiB? Also my current set up only has 1 optical input, I would perfer atleast 2 unless hdmi audio comparable. If need be I would consider using the sub that came with my str-k790 for the time being and buying a new sub later. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I dont have any idea where to start. Thanx.

·
Registered
29,192 Posts
If you have to go HTIB look for the Denon 590BA. Its not s true HTIB since it comes with a standalone receiver and Boston speaker package. It comes with the Denon 590 receiver and Boston Acoustics speakers. Not a bad setup in the $500 range. The 590 has 3 HDMI inputs that decode audio so you wont even need to any optical inputs unless maybe for your PC. The receiver does have 2 optical inputs in you need them.

Another option would be the Denon AVR-1610 and Jamo S413 speaker package.
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4865.asp
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

The receiver can be found around $300 here. Use coupon code AUDIOSALE at checkout
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...AVR1610/1.html

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
don't buy a HTIB, period.

$500 is the limit to start upgrading.

I would buy a pair of front speakers with that, then buy a receiver afterwards. Obviously they will be useless without power.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I have a Sony STR-DH700 reciever and Polk RM6750 5.1 speaker system and I love it for my first 5.1 system.

Since the Sony accepts HDMI audio I can get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA HD sound tracks by just letting my PS3 do the audio decoding.

I spent $450 and I am extremely happy with my purchase

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
ok maybe HTIBs have gotten better since the days I bought mine (about 8 yeras ago).

·
Registered
29,192 Posts
He did admit it was his first 5.1 system. As he upgrades in the future he'll realize there are better receivers and speakers out there.

Not bad for a first setup though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for the suggestions, Afrogt, and Crazyrob. The Denon 590BA looks interesting, and I could upgrade the speakers in the future.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrus614 /forum/post/18180731

Thanks alot for the suggestions, Afrogt, and Crazyrob. The Denon 590BA looks interesting, and I could upgrade the speakers in the future.

I have had this for over a month and couldn't be happier i said the same thing , maybe later i can upgrade the speakers but for now i don't see the need to, they are a decent set of speakers already.

I might eventually get a more powerfull subwoofer but thisone has a pretty decent powered subwoofer in it already which is good enough for apartment living.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after it's all said and done, I went a bit over my budget and ended up staying away from another HTiB lol. Afrogt really helped me out alot. I ended up going with a Denon 1610 receiver, 2 Polk 60's for my fronts, a Polk CS2 for my center, a H100 BIC Acoustech sub, and 2 polk 40's for surrounds. Now I'm just waiting for everything to arrive, I'm so geeked!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts