AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a home theater package. My budget i need to stay under is about $300. I know i can get better quality by buying the components separately but i dont have the funds for that so looking at a package. I have narrowed it down to 2 so just looking to see if anyone had any input for me to which might be better.

Yamaha YHT-160 or Onkyo HT-S580

The Onkyo got great reviews but has a passive subwoofer and the yamaha not as good reviews but has more connection options. any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personaly I think you might get a little more with Onkyo;

- 100W per channel (30W/Chan on the Yamaha),

- Digital Surround EX

And it does offer resonable inputs;

4 x Composite video/audeo inputs, 2 x Composite video output, 1 x SPDIF input (RCA phono), 1 x SPDIF input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1
Personaly I think you might get a little more with Onkyo;

- 100W per channel (30W/Chan on the Yamaha),

- Digital Surround EX

And it does offer resonable inputs;

4 x Composite video/audeo inputs, 2 x Composite video output, 1 x SPDIF input (RCA phono), 1 x SPDIF input.
thanks for the advice. i think its a great system but the only thing holding me back is the passive sub. people have been discouraging me from it because of that. I'm not an expert on this stuff so thought someone could take a look at the specs for me and see which is the best deal. the room i'm looking to put it in is 17x19.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The Onkyo's actual power is closer to 30 watts per channel, at least mine was, and it was a similar class Onkyo HTIB, actually was one level up.

The Yamaha is rated at 110 watts/channel @1khz, which is probably about 30/channel actual power, as well :D

The passive subwoofer takes power directly from the same transformer that powers all the other speakers, so that is a major minus of this setup.

The Yamaha has a seperate amp for the sub, a nice bonus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
The Onkyo's actual power is closer to 30 watts per channel, at least mine was, and it was a similar class Onkyo HTIB, actually was one level up.

The Yamaha is rated at 110 watts/channel @1khz, which is probably about 30/channel actual power, as well :D

The passive subwoofer takes power directly from the same transformer that powers all the other speakers, so that is a major minus of this setup.

The Yamaha has a seperate amp for the sub, a nice bonus.
thanks for the help. looks like other people have asked this question too. the yamaha seems to be the best way to go (unless anyone has a better suggestion in this price range/feature set). one other question is , i have a HDTV with a bunch of input options (component/svid, etc.)....with these systems should i go straight f/ dvd player/game system to the hdtv or into the reciever first (if it has the option)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Well you need to balance quality of image with convienence, and also look at your receiver's feature set.

Even my 800 dollar receiver wont do all the switching that i want it to..

I let my receiver switch between 2 component video inputs ( DVD and Satellite) and let my TV switch my Play Station Component input. That effectively gives me 3 Components in.

I stay away from S-Video, etc, since all my devices can use the better Component video..

HDMI is even better than component, not sure if you have any HDMI devices though ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Well you need to balance quality of image with convienence, and also look at your receiver's feature set.

Even my 800 dollar receiver wont do all the switching that i want it to..

I let my receiver switch between 2 component video inputs ( DVD and Satellite) and let my TV switch my Play Station Component input. That effectively gives me 3 Components in.

I stay away from S-Video, etc, since all my devices can use the better Component video..

HDMI is even better than component, not sure if you have any HDMI devices though ...
thats good advice. thanks! is there any benefit quality wise doing it one way or another? if i have 3 component inputs on my tv, could i just go directly into that with the video to simplify and need less cables? or maybe my tv wont be as capable of component switching like you said some recievers arent

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
A TV with 3 component inputs has to be able to switch them...

And in this case I would lean towards having my TV switch them all, no need to have your receiver do it. Not many TVs or receivers have 3 component inputs though...

Get a Harmony remote that integrates everything, try the model 628 on UBID for $66 bucks shipped. That will make this all work almost seemlessly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.