AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AVS Forum,

I have a primary theater located in the basement of my home. On that machine, all my movies, music, pictures, etc, are all located on that machine. In the rest of the house, I have 4 other TV's. I would like to be able to play any movie, music or display a picture to any of those TVs from HTPC. I thought about placing an Apple TV next to each one but what other options would you recommend? I have Plex installed on the HTPC for remove viewing, but maybe I could use it some how (just throwing that out there).

Any recommendations of getting video/audio from my HTPC to the rest of the house?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
76 Posts
How's your infrastructure? Do you have and Cat5/6 cabling in place between the location of the HTPC and the other TV's? Wondering if you considering a "traditional" AV distribution setup here, or if you're looking for something that's purely IP based. Do you need to distribute multiple sources? Or just the HTPC?

There are also "hybrid" solutions like JustAddPower.com but those can get a bit pricey and complex in a hurry.

Just a bit more information about your setup and goals will be helpful!

Best,

Jason Griffing

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually have the same issue. I am wiring the house with 4 cat 6 drops at each location and tying to find a way to log into the desktop of my HTPC at remote sites. I am considering using Plex and roku for movies, but that isn't helpful if I need a web browser on another set.

Suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well hopefully we don't derail the thread here. But I will say that many clients of mine have requested a web browser on their TV. It sounds good in theory, but typically isn't all that useful in practice. Web Browsers aren't really optimized for the "10 Foot User Interface" (yet anyhow). Plus there's the logistics of controlling the PC.

Honestly most of my clients end up using other devices (laptops, tablets, phones) with mirroring (via appleTV or chromecast) to accomplish something that resembles web browsing on their TV's.

Plex + Roku sounds like it may be your best bet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I currently have an HTPC set up to a 55 inch screen and control it with a K 400 Logitech keyboard and mouse combo or an IP-based iPhone app called hippo remote lite. When using windows media player or increasing the font size it makes the interface useable but I agree not optimized. Metro has made this change a little easier though.

Also I like your idea of mirroring to a chrome cast but the last time I checked it could not AirPlay a web browser playing flash video. Granted chrome cast is increasing it's functionally, but still dependent on another device. Can you cast to roku yet?

But back to the original question. Is there an easy way to transmute hdmi from a PC to various locations?

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43  /t/1521050/home-theater-pc-video-audio-to-multiple-locations#post_24448049

I thought there was distance issues for long hdmi runs, say across a house? Or the long cables are extremely expensive.

Hence the question about what wiring / infrastructure is available. There are plenty of HDMI-over-cat5e extenders available on the market that will easily reach 100'+ feet. The best ones use HDBaseT technology, and can reach 300'. But all of them will require a point-to-point cat5e cable (or two, for the less-expensive versions) from source to display. Note that none of these are "Ethernet" - they just use the same type of wiring...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jautor covered it. For a "one to many" video distribution setup you're going to need to some sort of matrix switcher, and point-to-point wiring.

As Jautor also hinted at, I think some of the confusion about HDMI distribution stems from the fact that it uses the same cabling as ethernet. Remember that it is simply using that cable as a means to transmit a signal, in this case an AV signal, more specifically HDMI, which requires a point-to-point connection (i.e. source-to-display)

There are other technologies such as JustAddPower that actually break the HDMI signal down into IP "packets". This means that the signal can be routed with a little more flexibility. But ultimately you still need cabling to all the TV's for this type of solution. It's just that the cabling can come from a network switch instead of straight from the source (so long as the source has a means to get its packets onto the network.

Really comes down to knowing what type of infrastructure you have in place. Which by no coincidence is the first I would check if a client called me with the same question.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like my question got a lot of attention and I really appreciate the post. AVS always comes through.

My setup is that my HTPC is in the main theater room. I do not have cat 6 (which is what I am using) going through the entire house, so to speak. But let me explain what I do have and you tell me if this would help. I have my main router upstairs (my house is two levels, so basement and main floor) - my main router is connected to my model so I have wireless all upstairs. But I have coming from that router at Cat 6 connected to another router that is sitting next to my HTPC. I did this because I figured at some point I could run cat 6 all over the place through our attic, for example. I have cat 6 also coming from the upstairs router to one spot in my living room (which is basically next to my TV) in which I put an Apple TV. But again, I think I could get cable to other parts of the house if needed.

I would also add, it seems like a splitter would work, but what if I wanted to add other sources...then I would need multiple HDMI runs.

Someone needs to invent this: One RG6 cable run to each TV to a central closet with all the sources running through some convertor. ...I mean I know it is out there!? :)

Probably cost an arm and leg.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They make HDMI over Coax adapters. Although I have to admit that I've never actually deployed one. Just do a google search for 'HDMI over Single Coax". If you have RG6 Running throughout and you're dead set on distributing HDMI it might be worth dipping your toes in the water by trying out one or two.

The thing about distributing HDMI is that it can be a royal PITA. EDID issues, HDCP handshakes, etc. can give owners fits. The problem is that there's often not one "culprit" like a bad cable. It's a unique combination of the performance signatures of every link in the chain. You just won't know what kind of results you're going to get until you try.

It sounds like your Cat6 infrastructure is a little sporadic. To do HDMI distribution you really need wires from all TV's landing in the same spot (wherever your source lives).

Unless you want to pull new cabling, I'd go with an ethernet solution like plex + roku. That will take care of everything on your HTPC. It only gets more complicated if you need to distribute multiple sources (i.e. bluray, sat / cable, etc.)

Hope this helps!

JG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts