AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Great info. He’s a HT guy primarily but does contractor work too. His bid for just equipment as listed was 19k and the build out is another 10k. It’s way over what I wanted to pay and will start looking at other options. I’m sure he knows that I don’t know much about this and smells loot. Can I ask why not use RTI? I’m still trying to learn all this stuff. I actually liked the review on the Marantz and suggested that to him except I said the SR7012 and he wanted to sell me the sr7013. What would you think is better suited? Thanks!

Yeah seems like it’s time for me to dump the episodes and find a replacement. Thanks for the advice!
Ok, so, here is a system that would come in well under your $19,000 quote, and destroy it. I'll tackle why not an RTI remote at the bottom. Sorry for my long(ish) posts, but "professionals" like you hired really really honk me off with system designs like that. His job should be to maximize value and performance. Not get over on people.

Speakers: Phase Technology. 11 channels. 3 in-wall LCR, 4 in-ceiling ATMOS, 4 In-wall surrounds.

Phase Technology CI-130 $1,200/ea. A strong dealer could do them for $900/ea. no problem. $900 x3 = $2700
3-way enclosed in-wall.
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-wall/ci130/

ATMOS Channels: CI6.1X $279. Assume discount as well: $215 x4 = 860
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-ceiling/ci6-1x/

Surrounds: You could do direct, bi/dipole, or a mix. I like the Bi/Di Poles as sides and direct as rears, but that is up to you. I'll generically say that either should be available at $225/each x4 = $900
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-wall/

TOTAL for 11 channles = $4,460 after discounts from a reputable dealer. The above system is leagues better than anything Episode "makes". I use the "" because they just get semi custom stuff from China.

NOTE: Do what you wish for subs. I think there are a lot of great choices. Klipsch makes some really nice 12" and 15" models that are reasonable, Phase Tech's subs are outstanding as well if the made in the USA thing matters to you to that degree. There are excellent ID companies, too.

I would put Phase Tech speakers up against other brands considerably more expensive. I'm a dealer of Triad, James Loudspeaker, KEF, Klipsch THX, Monitor Audio, and about 20 other speaker lines... These are incredible value and, to me, ome of the best in-wall speakers under the $2,000-$2,500ea range unless your room is absolutely massive in terms of cubic square footage. Phase Tech is a storied speaker manufacturer that's been around decades. They invented the soft dome tweeter and make some of the finest drivers and speakers around. They hold several driver & enclosure patents as well as 100% made in USA by them ... in house. They OEM McIntosh's in-walls & in-ceilings as well as other brands which are considerably more expensive. They are as well respected in the speaker manufacturing business as anyone on the planet. Excellent manufacturer.

- Receiver: I think this is acceptable for your room: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6500h
$2,100 MSRP. Again, discounts should be available. Lets just say $1900.

- Screen: I WOULD recommend a DragonFly screen, only I would do a huge AT screen with the main speakers behind it. You have a 12' wide screen wall. Not sure on height... FILL IT UP with a 16x9 screen. It will feel like IMAX.

133" DF-SL-133-UAW Dimensions w/ frame 122.24" x 71.54" MSRP $2,500... $1,500 is fair margin with current promotions.
145" DF-SL-145-UAW Dimensions w/ frame 132.57" x 77.3" MSRP $3,000.... $2,200 ""

Projector: Epson 5040UB. It's so similar to the 6040 that unless you need all of the goodies... save the $$$. I am a dealer of the JVCs & Sonys... I like this a LOT. On sale at Best Buy for $2100. Get em while they're HOT. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-home-cinema-5040ub-3lcd-projector-with-4k-enhancement-and-hdr-white/5555800.p?skuId=5555800

Remote: Harmony Elite w/ Hub. $250-$300.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-elite-remote-control-and-smart-hub-black/4314901.p?skuId=4314901

This remote is AWESOME for a single room system. Why on Earth would anyone spend more? You can program this yourself and make simple changes as needed. I switched to these for anything NON Whole House or Automation and my clients love them. Never had to replace one and NEVER get service calls. Easy to program. Nice App for phone or tablet. I'm a URC Total Control dealer. Used to be a SAVANT dealer and I do consulting and design for 2 Control4/RTI guys...... They have dumped RTI for this remote. The Harmony Elite and even the cheaper Smart Companion remote are OUTSTANDING. The other companies I mentioned want $700+ for a similar product - only they aren't geared towards end user's programming them.

For the entire system with the 133" screen
Speakers $4,460
Receiver $1,900
Projector $2,100
133" Screen $1,500
Remote $300
For illustration purposes I'll add 2 Klipsch SPL-120 12" subs @ $500/each =$1,000
TOTAL: $11,260

^ Absolutely CRUSHES your $19,000 bid in performance and saves you $8,000 while giving you a 133" screen, a proper speaker alignment, proper ATMOS layout, and essentially the same quality image.

PS: Why is there a horizontal box framed in on your screen wall? Don't tell me that was a center going in under the screen? What... the... FLIP?!?!?! YOu should do an AT screen with all three speakers vertically behind it along the same horizontal line around mid screen.

Side Note: I've never been a fan of the rattler or rumble pieces in a theater. To each their own, however.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok, so, here is a system that would come in well under your $19,000 quote, and destroy it. I'll tackle why not an RTI remote at the bottom. Sorry for my long(ish) posts, but "professionals" like you hired really really honk me off with system designs like that. His job should be to maximize value and performance. Not get over on people.

Speakers: Phase Technology. 11 channels. 3 in-wall LCR, 4 in-ceiling ATMOS, 4 In-wall surrounds.

Phase Technology CI-130 $1,200/ea. A strong dealer could do them for $900/ea. no problem. $900 x3 = $2700
3-way enclosed in-wall.
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-wall/ci130/

ATMOS Channels: CI6.1X $279. Assume discount as well: $215 x4 = 860
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-ceiling/ci6-1x/

Surrounds: You could do direct, bi/dipole, or a mix. I like the Bi/Di Poles as sides and direct as rears, but that is up to you. I'll generically say that either should be available at $225/each x4 = $900
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/series/ci-in-wall/

TOTAL for 11 channles = $4,460 after discounts from a reputable dealer. The above system is leagues better than anything Episode "makes". I use the "" because they just get semi custom stuff from China.

NOTE: Do what you wish for subs. I think there are a lot of great choices. Klipsch makes some really nice 12" and 15" models that are reasonable, Phase Tech's subs are outstanding as well if the made in the USA thing matters to you to that degree. There are excellent ID companies, too.

I would put Phase Tech speakers up against other brands considerably more expensive. I'm a dealer of Triad, James Loudspeaker, KEF, Klipsch THX, Monitor Audio, and about 20 other speaker lines... These are incredible value and, to me, ome of the best in-wall speakers under the $2,000-$2,500ea range unless your room is absolutely massive in terms of cubic square footage. Phase Tech is a storied speaker manufacturer that's been around decades. They invented the soft dome tweeter and make some of the finest drivers and speakers around. They hold several driver & enclosure patents as well as 100% made in USA by them ... in house. They OEM McIntosh's in-walls & in-ceilings as well as other brands which are considerably more expensive. They are as well respected in the speaker manufacturing business as anyone on the planet. Excellent manufacturer.

- Receiver: I think this is acceptable for your room: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6500h
$2,100 MSRP. Again, discounts should be available. Lets just say $1900.

- Screen: I WOULD recommend a DragonFly screen, only I would do a huge AT screen with the main speakers behind it. You have a 12' wide screen wall. Not sure on height... FILL IT UP with a 16x9 screen. It will feel like IMAX.

133" DF-SL-133-UAW Dimensions w/ frame 122.24" x 71.54" MSRP $2,500... $1,500 is fair margin with current promotions.
145" DF-SL-145-UAW Dimensions w/ frame 132.57" x 77.3" MSRP $3,000.... $2,200 ""

Projector: Epson 5040UB. It's so similar to the 6040 that unless you need all of the goodies... save the $$$. I am a dealer of the JVCs & Sonys... I like this a LOT. On sale at Best Buy for $2100. Get em while they're HOT. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-home-cinema-5040ub-3lcd-projector-with-4k-enhancement-and-hdr-white/5555800.p?skuId=5555800

Remote: Harmony Elite w/ Hub. $250-$300.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-elite-remote-control-and-smart-hub-black/4314901.p?skuId=4314901

This remote is AWESOME for a single room system. Why on Earth would anyone spend more? You can program this yourself and make simple changes as needed. I switched to these for anything NON Whole House or Automation and my clients love them. Never had to replace one and NEVER get service calls. Easy to program. Nice App for phone or tablet. I'm a URC Total Control dealer. Used to be a SAVANT dealer and I do consulting and design for 2 Control4/RTI guys...... They have dumped RTI for this remote. The Harmony Elite and even the cheaper Smart Companion remote are OUTSTANDING. The other companies I mentioned want $700+ for a similar product - only they aren't geared towards end user's programming them.

For the entire system with the 133" screen
Speakers $4,460
Receiver $1,900
Projector $2,100
133" Screen $1,500
Remote $300
For illustration purposes I'll add 2 Klipsch SPL-120 12" subs @ $500/each =$1,000
TOTAL: $11,260

^ Absolutely CRUSHES your $19,000 bid in performance and saves you $8,000 while giving you a 133" screen, a proper speaker alignment, proper ATMOS layout, and essentially the same quality image.

PS: Why is there a horizontal box framed in on your screen wall? Don't tell me that was a center going in under the screen? What... the... FLIP?!?!?! YOu should do an AT screen with all three speakers vertically behind it along the same horizontal line around mid screen.

Side Note: I've never been a fan of the rattler or rumble pieces in a theater. To each their own, however.
Excellent breakdown, thank you for taking the time to go through all that and the links. Good to know on the RTI automation. I will be doing some speakers for our game room as well so not sure how that plays in. I have heard of the Harmony remote and heard good things about it. Your pricing is far more reasonable here. I have never heard of phase tech, however that means little since I’m largely uneducated in the AV world. I checked out those links and would like to know more. What would be your choice for the next line upgrade? Would what you have laid out here be enough to fully fill out my room? 23’x12’ and 9’ ceilings? Just tying to learn as I go!

Yes the square box is for a dedicated center speaker. Any reason to go 3 LCR instead of 2 L/R LCR and a center channel? Again, I’m not questioning your knowledge but rather exposing my own limitations and experience and trying to improve it. Would you still go Dragonfly over Stewart Films AT screen? Also, I think I will be going with JVC RS540 or the RS1000. What are your thoughts? I will post updated pics in just a minute.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Don’t mount the center horizontally in your case.

If mounted vertically try to keep the center of the tweeter 38-40” from the floor based on the dispersion pattern of the speakers you finally will choose.

Why? When seated, depending on furniture type, body shape, boy/girl your ears are about 38” from the floor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Don’t mount the center horizontally in your case.

If mounted vertically try to keep the center of the tweeter 38-40” from the floor based on the dispersion pattern of the speakers you finally will choose.

Why? When seated, depending on furniture type, body shape, boy/girl your ears are about 38” from the floor.

So I had my HT guy come out last night and I talked to him. He stated the reason he had the center channel horizontal was to direct it at our seating and not be occluded by the screen. He stated that he could do that and do a small bezel screen and put at 120” screen in. I brought up the AT screens for larger viewing and having the front 3 speakers vertical and he said he could do that too but that the AT screens make you lose picture quality and that if you allow sound through, you’ll allow light through and sacrifice some overall picture quality. I could do a 135” screen that way though.

So if all that is true then I have two primary options. Go with a larger 135” screen and vertically mounted speakers and probably a false wall to house them (which also encroaches on our doorway to enter the theater) and then have decreased viewing quality of the picture, or...

Go with the smaller 120” with two vertical and one horizontal channel but better screen for more enhanced picture.

I have no clue what to choose. I really like having good quality picture but also don’t want to be disappointed with the size. What are the pros/cons that I’m not seeing and what do you guys suggest?

My HT guy was all about changing the receiver to that 11.2 channel Denon that Prestige mentioned. He was also receptive to changing the projector to JVC. He did NOT like when I asked about changing speaker brand though and wants me to keep it the same. I asked if there was a way or a place where I could demo the episodes but he wasn’t able to acquiesce. He said he could do Martin Logans but that they don’t have the backer boxes until you get into a very high price range that was outside my budget. He didn’t know who PhaseTech was but did know the rest and seemed to like KEF. Any help here would be great, thanks for all the input already guys!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Respectfully, I agree with others here that you need to change personnel. You can do much better and it don't seem like your interest at heart is number 1. It's more of I'll cave to some of your demands but my decisions are the best kinda deal. I think you should look elsewhere... respectfully.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
So I had my HT guy come out last night and I talked to him. He stated the reason he had the center channel horizontal was to direct it at our seating and not be occluded by the screen. He stated that he could do that and do a small bezel screen and put at 120” screen in. I brought up the AT screens for larger viewing and having the front 3 speakers vertical and he said he could do that too but that the AT screens make you lose picture quality and that if you allow sound through, you’ll allow light through and sacrifice some overall picture quality. I could do a 135” screen that way though.

So if all that is true then I have two primary options. Go with a larger 135” screen and vertically mounted speakers and probably a false wall to house them (which also encroaches on our doorway to enter the theater) and then have decreased viewing quality of the picture, or...

Go with the smaller 120” with two vertical and one horizontal channel but better screen for more enhanced picture.

I have no clue what to choose. I really like having good quality picture but also don’t want to be disappointed with the size. What are the pros/cons that I’m not seeing and what do you guys suggest?

My HT guy was all about changing the receiver to that 11.2 channel Denon that Prestige mentioned. He was also receptive to changing the projector to JVC. He did NOT like when I asked about changing speaker brand though and wants me to keep it the same. I asked if there was a way or a place where I could demo the episodes but he wasn’t able to acquiesce. He said he could do Martin Logans but that they don’t have the backer boxes until you get into a very high price range that was outside my budget. He didn’t know who PhaseTech was but did know the rest and seemed to like KEF. Any help here would be great, thanks for all the input already guys!
There are always tradeoffs. If the AT screen gives you a larger viewing surface and better speaker placement options (remember you have two rows with the second elevated so that row could be affected if a horizontal center channel is mounted below the screen, you typically want the tweeter for the center channel slightly above ear level of the first row so that it can provide good sound coverage for the 2nd row).

There are tons of high end theaters designed by the some of the best installers/integrators in the world that use AT screens. Is there some truth that the PQ on a non-AT screen is slightly better? Perhaps, but this may not even be noticeable from 12-18' away using a sub $5K projector.

The part about encroaching on your door way with the false wall can you elaborate? Is this assuming a false wall with 24" space behind it? Also with a false wall that has 20-24" of space behind it, this opens up your options on buying in-room speakers vs in-wall speakers which also allows you to do demo some in person (hopefully).

I think your HT guy is being reasonable but he seems to be pushing the overprice Episode speakers. If you really go down the path of inwall speakers with backer boxes Totem Kin and Triad both have integrated backer boxes and I would personally choose those brands over the others. But if you go with that false wall with some space behind, in-room speakers opens up lots of possibilities for you in terms of speaker selection and price and at that point I would tell your HT person you will be demoing some speakers and buying the ones you like.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
For controlled bass > shake the walls bass, look at Rythmik. You will get the most control from sealed sub(s), but will give up a bit of lower bass power. You can get the best of both worlds if you go with the ported Rythmik, power and precision. Give them a call and discuss your needs, they will lead you down a path of success in your room.

Given the shape of the room, room acoustics will play an important part in your overall enjoyment of the system, so I would definitely give the folks at GIK Acoustics a call and give them your room dimensions, seating layout (be sure that seated ears are not at any even divisible of the room length, you want 5/8ths, 7/9ths, 3/5ths, 2/3rds, never 1/2 or 3/4 ...).

Also, I get that you want somebody to hold your hand through this process, but it sure seems to me like your current designer is not the guy. Where are you located? Maybe you can open a thread with that information to get some local recommendations, or perhaps, somebody with a known rep can fly in and help you get the design nailed down (lots cheaper than what you will pay the current guy).

Post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/

Room design for HT is more complex than most understand. Given the size of that room is already a given, how you proceed from here will mean the difference between a successful outcome and disappointment. Having a trusted and competent designer on board should be given very careful consideration before proceeding.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Don't rule out the Denon X4599H. It is, pretty much, identical to the X6500H but you need to add a 2nd dedicated amp to power the 2 additional Atmos channels. The X4500 is $600 cheaper and a dedicated 2 channel amp can be found for like $100-120 on places like Amazon. So you save $480-500.

Also, if you can, try to watch sales if you don't have to buy this minute. If your room is 1-2 months away from being totally finished, for example, don't buy all the gear this minute unless you find some sales.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts

In defense of your dealer it is difficult bringing in multiple brands and serving several masters so to speak (start up inventory, quotas, training) so I can understand his reluctance. However as it has been stated the Episode is a high margin item and is to impossible to shop. That’s the plus for the dealer. I can also say after listening to ihem at CEDIA a few times the sound is not bad but not on par with others. So this a win NOT a win - win.

Regarding screens that is true about PQ but with a 4K PJ at 8-9 feet and beyond viewing distance that is less of a concern. I can only vouch for the Screen Innovations, Severtson, Seymour, Stewart, Dream Weaver and Screen Research. The last three are $$$.

Go as big as you can that’s mt motto. Some like to look at the speakers some like to hind them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
There are always tradeoffs. If the AT screen gives you a larger viewing surface and better speaker placement options (remember you have two rows with the second elevated so that row could be affected if a horizontal center channel is mounted below the screen, you typically want the tweeter for the center channel slightly above ear level of the first row so that it can provide good sound coverage for the 2nd row).

There are tons of high end theaters designed by the some of the best installers/integrators in the world that use AT screens. Is there some truth that the PQ on a non-AT screen is slightly better? Perhaps, but this may not even be noticeable from 12-18' away using a sub $5K projector.

The part about encroaching on your door way with the false wall can you elaborate? Is this assuming a false wall with 24" space behind it? Also with a false wall that has 20-24" of space behind it, this opens up your options on buying in-room speakers vs in-wall speakers which also allows you to do demo some in person (hopefully).

I think your HT guy is being reasonable but he seems to be pushing the overprice Episode speakers. If you really go down the path of inwall speakers with backer boxes Totem Kin and Triad both have integrated backer boxes and I would personally choose those brands over the others. But if you go with that false wall with some space behind, in-room speakers opens up lots of possibilities for you in terms of speaker selection and price and at that point I would tell your HT person you will be demoing some speakers and buying the ones you like.
So if I did the false wall I could only really push out towards the theater room itself. The doorway entrance is in the corner of the room by the projector screen so it would start getting tight for the entryway. I will definitely be looking at other speakers than the Episodes thanks to all the helpful people here!

For controlled bass > shake the walls bass, look at Rythmik. You will get the most control from sealed sub(s), but will give up a bit of lower bass power. You can get the best of both worlds if you go with the ported Rythmik, power and precision. Give them a call and discuss your needs, they will lead you down a path of success in your room.

Given the shape of the room, room acoustics will play an important part in your overall enjoyment of the system, so I would definitely give the folks at GIK Acoustics a call and give them your room dimensions, seating layout (be sure that seated ears are not at any even divisible of the room length, you want 5/8ths, 7/9ths, 3/5ths, 2/3rds, never 1/2 or 3/4 ...).

Also, I get that you want somebody to hold your hand through this process, but it sure seems to me like your current designer is not the guy. Where are you located? Maybe you can open a thread with that information to get some local recommendations, or perhaps, somebody with a known rep can fly in and help you get the design nailed down (lots cheaper than what you will pay the current guy).

Post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/

Room design for HT is more complex than most understand. Given the size of that room is already a given, how you proceed from here will mean the difference between a successful outcome and disappointment. Having a trusted and competent designer on board should be given very careful consideration before proceeding.
Makes sense and yes it’s definitely more complex than I had imagined it ever would have been. Thank you for the info on the subs and the construction build out. I’m meeting with my HT guy again in the morning and going over all the changes I’d like to make and we’ll see how he takes it and if I have to find another guy I will.

Respectfully, I agree with others here that you need to change personnel. You can do much better and it don't seem like your interest at heart is number 1. It's more of I'll cave to some of your demands but my decisions are the best kinda deal. I think you should look elsewhere... respectfully.
Yeah I’m going to see where this is headed tomorrow with him and really get a good projection of what I want to do.

In defense of your dealer it is difficult bringing in multiple brands and serving several masters so to speak (start up inventory, quotas, training) so I can understand his reluctance. However as it has been stated the Episode is a high margin item and is to impossible to shop. That’s the plus for the dealer. I can also say after listening to ihem at CEDIA a few times the sound is not bad but not on par with others. So this a win NOT a win - win.

Regarding screens that is true about PQ but with a 4K PJ at 8-9 feet and beyond viewing distance that is less of a concern. I can only vouch for the Screen Innovations, Severtson, Seymour, Stewart, Dream Weaver and Screen Research. The last three are $$$.

Go as big as you can that’s mt motto. Some like to look at the speakers some like to hind them.

Good luck.
Yeah I’m done with the Episodes! I know that dealing has a lot involved with it, more than I can imagine, and can be challenging but I do want to get this right the first time. Thanks for the info on screens. That’s reassuring!

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Here’s an update on how it’s coming along. Taking a lot longer to complete than it should but it’s moving in the right direction.
Thanks for the update. Good choice on the stairs, BTW. Have you made any more decisions regarding screen type, projector, speakers, drivers, etc... ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here’s an update on how it’s coming along. Taking a lot longer to complete than it should but it’s moving in the right direction.
Looking awesome so far!

I'm in the Atlanta area too and my future dedicated theater is almost exactly the same dimensions as yours. I'll be eagerly following your progress.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for the update. Good choice on the stairs, BTW. Have you made any more decisions regarding screen type, projector, speakers, drivers, etc... ?
Yeah I like it much better than what he originally did. Stay tuned for equipment choice. Working on it!

Looking awesome so far!

I'm in the Atlanta area too and my future dedicated theater is almost exactly the same dimensions as yours. I'll be eagerly following your progress.
Nice! I’ll take more pics today, pending further progress that should be done.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here's the updated pics. Build out is done. Now just waiting on equipment and then carpet.
Wow, looking good! Not sure how I missed this update until now but keep posting updates for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

I have all the equipment in!

Here's what we're looking at:

Denon AVR-6500H 11.2 channel amp

JVC DLA RS1000 (D-ILA) projector

133" acoustically transparent Dragonfly screen

Surrounds: Klipsch THX 8000-S
Front/Center: Klipsch THX 8000-L
In ceiling Atmos: Klipsch Pro-189 RPC
Subs: Klipsch R-115sw 15" These things are beasts! 85 pounds each.

Panasonic DP-UB820P-K Blu ray player

Should be awesome!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts