AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a home theater to replace my current stereo system which consists of two LS-G4 Kenwood Speakers and a RXD-G4 Kenwood Stereo Reciever. The main purpose will be using it for video games on the Xbox and Playstion 2. I need a HTIB system that is all I have space for. I have not decided upon a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 system. I was interested in the Onkyo HT-S760. The bedroom it will be used in is only 11ft. 7in. long by 12ft. 7in. wide.

Please help

·
Registered
259 Posts
Whatever your choice, stay away from HTiB's. You won't be happy with the results. It would be easier to make recomendations if we knew your budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is nothing over $500.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Look into the Sherwood 6108. It has DD and DTS, and loads of power and runs about 140 at Fry's. With what you have left over, try getting a Cerwin Vega speaker system that comes with 5 speakers and a powered sub. Usually can be found for about 300. You can usually find these speaker sets on sale. (you don't have to go with cerwin vega). After all that, you will probably still have enough for optical cable, and some good speaker wire. Good Luck. BTW, I own the 6108 and highly recommend it.;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTJunkie1
Look into the Sherwood 6108. It has DD and DTS, and loads of power and runs about 140 at Fry's. With what you have left over, try getting a Cerwin Vega speaker system that comes with 5 speakers and a powered sub. Usually can be found for about 300. You can usually find these speaker sets on sale. (you don't have to go with cerwin vega). After all that, you will probably still have enough for optical cable, and some good speaker wire. Good Luck. BTW, I own the 6108 and highly recommend it.;)
I have the Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1 set. It is a very, very good speaker set for the price. I thought it was worth buying the system for the subwoofer alone - but the satellites and center speaker are also superb.

The Cerwin Vegas are pictured here (second picture from the bottom) in an article on the CES 2004. The reviewer says "...I heard a DTS audio cut demonstrated on the Cerwin-Vega AVS 5.1 system ($400 retail) and it sounded full-blooded with channel separation so distinct, you could hear each individual guitar string strum... "

·
Registered
259 Posts
Way to go. Glad to see that your on the way there. What reciever have you chosen? Any other things you plan on adding?:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
If your budget is $500.00, you cannot beat the Onkyo system. I researched a number of systems and seperate components, but found it difficult to arrive at anything equal to the HTS760 for the same price. I purchased the Onkyo and am as happy as a clam. It may not be to most beautiful and stylish looking of the systems you will find, but it's performance is outstanding for the money. Also, one key point to me was the fine receiver with the best inputs and outputs for the money. Nothing else came close.

Go read the reviews online. They are overwhelming in their praise of the HTS760 in all aspects except speaker looks. I happen to like the larger speakers and the system performs great.

Don't get me wrong, there is much better available out there, just not for $500.00.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
do a search at: buy.com for:

Cerwin-Vega AVS-5.1

they are under 160.

can I post a link to them? I don't want to break the rules.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellowstone Tim
If your budget is $500.00, you cannot beat the Onkyo system. I researched a number of systems and seperate components, but found it difficult to arrive at anything equal to the HTS760 for the same price. I purchased the Onkyo and am as happy as a clam. It may not be to most beautiful and stylish looking of the systems you will find, but it's performance is outstanding for the money. Also, one key point to me was the fine receiver with the best inputs and outputs for the money. Nothing else came close.

Go read the reviews online. They are overwhelming in their praise of the HTS760 in all aspects except speaker looks. I happen to like the larger speakers and the system performs great.

Don't get me wrong, there is much better available out there, just not for $500.00.

Good luck with your choice.
I would agree that Onkyo produces top notch receivers. However, if you are starting cheap, then the most important component is the speaker (set), followed by the receiver.

You can get a good receiver around the $170 range (Sony STR-DE595, JVC RX-7030) and then buy a very good set of speakers (JBL SCS150, Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1) for less than $300 - although not audiophile quality...but close (IMHO).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Amigo, I think you can put a link only after you've posted 15 times. Could be wrong. :p

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by machani
I would agree that Onkyo produces top notch receivers. However, if you are starting cheap, then the most important component is the speaker (set), followed by the receiver.

You can get a good receiver around the $170 range (Sony STR-DE595, JVC RX-7030) and then buy a very good set of speakers (JBL SCS150, Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1) for less than $300 - although not audiophile quality...but close (IMHO).
I am on a fence... Onkyo HT-760 or Onkyo SR501+Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1...

What are the differences in the speaker quality of these two? I will be checking out the Onkyo HTiB system tomorrow but I cannot find a local store (Minneapolis, Mn) that has the Cerwin's. I have read that the Cerwin's are better with music, but I have also heard that this system is fairly bass heavy that leans tword pop/hip hop music (I listen to some but more Jazz and softer music, plus I live in an apt.). I am looking for a fairly balanced system that leans tword the HT...

What are your opinions, I know too well that sound is subjective. I just wish I could listen to the Cerwin's in a decent enviroment. It's impossible to listen to anything in a Best Buy or CC w/ a decent setup. Most of the time they have all the speakers on one shelf and no cd player!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandirk
I am on a fence... Onkyo HT-760 or Onkyo SR501+Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1...

What are the differences in the speaker quality of these two? I will be checking out the Onkyo HTiB system tomorrow but I cannot find a local store (Minneapolis, Mn) that has the Cerwin's. I have read that the Cerwin's are better with music, but I have also heard that this system is fairly bass heavy that leans tword pop/hip hop music (I listen to some but more Jazz and softer music, plus I live in an apt.). I am looking for a fairly balanced system that leans tword the HT...

What are your opinions, I know too well that sound is subjective. I just wish I could listen to the Cerwin's in a decent enviroment. It's impossible to listen to anything in a Best Buy or CC w/ a decent setup. Most of the time they have all the speakers on one shelf and no cd player!!!!
It is very difficult to find a HT vendors with an ideal setup of the speakers+reciever that you want to compare - in particular cheap (sub $1,000 speakers).

I'm not sure I'd describe my Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1 as being "bass heavy" because you can always adjust the bass level and settings (phase, crossover). The key to the system is that it is "voice matched". (I did not understand what that meant until I listened to the set.) The bass is full blooded and never boomy. Music wise, I mainly listen to Jazz too and found the Cerwins were just ideal for Jazz.

I must admit that speaker suggestions tend to be subjective and I have not listened to the Onkyo HTiB system. But I have compared the Cerwins with Bose AM6 which cost at least three times as much. I can, without doubt, tell you the Cerwins sounded much better. Personally, I would go with the Onkyo SR501+Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1.

Better still, get the Onkyo SR601 for about $100 more. I heard its much better than the 501.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well that's good enough for me. The price point is low enough where I can afford a mistake in this area. Not to mention the Onkyo and CV combo is cheaper than the HTiB...

I probably will not upgrade to the TX-S601 though as I am not that much of an audio file, at least not one that would justify $150 for the upgraded performance (what ever that would be, like I know what what I am talking about:D). Though I still need to hear the 501, guess I will find out then.

Any thoughts on the Onkyo 501 receivers vs others at it's price point? It will replace my current stereo for everything HT and Music... I will be honest that I heard Onkyo was good and have not looked around to much because I do not have the personal knowledge nor probably the ear to hear much difference at this price point.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandirk
Any thoughts on the Onkyo 501 receivers vs others at it's price point? It will replace my current stereo for everything HT and Music... I will be honest that I heard Onkyo was good and have not looked around to much because I do not have the personal knowledge nor probably the ear to hear much difference at this price point.
Read the user reviews of the 501 and 601 in EPINIONS.COM. One guy returned his 501 and got the 601. Apparently, the 501 is an entry level receiver intended for the mass market. The 601 has "true discrete output", meaning the amplifier processes each channel separately - resulting in truer sound. This makes the difference in sound, aside from other feature differences.

I'm not an expert on receivers, but I do know that the Panasonic SA-HE100 and JVC RX-8030 are very good receivers at this price point. The Onkyo should be the best receiver at this price point if you trust Consumer Reports. The Consumer Reports Annual 2004 has a rating of current receivers. The ratings were actually taken from their November 2003 issue.

I am not sure I agree with Conumer Reports all the time. But their ratings are useful enough.

·
Registered
546 Posts
More decisions;) The JVC looks pretty good, I had no clue about decrete channels, thanks for the info. Looks like I have much more research to do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.