AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been researching around here for a while and am looking for a new home theater setup. I have a Sony Mini Hi-Fi system right now, with a Panasonic blu-ray player and a Vizio XVT55SV tv.

My living room is 12'4" x 16' and is open to the kitchen/dining room, which is about 11' x 16'8". The living room has vaulted ceilings as well.

It will be used for about 30% cable television, 30% movies/Netflix streaming, 25% gaming, and 15% music.

I want to spend under $1000, though it would be nice to keep it around $600. With what I want, I don't know if that will be possible though. I was looking at a 3.1 setup, so I may just have to start with less if necessary.

I wanted tower speakers, but was unimpressed with the Polk monitor 60 equivalents that I heard. It was just in the aisle of best buy, but none of the tower speakers, even the 8" Klipsch ones, seemed to produce any amount of bass. I'm hoping it was just how they set it up. The 60's sounded ok, but only 1 speaker actually worked and the center wouldn't work either.

For fronts, I was looking at monitor 60's or 70's (depends on if I get a sub probably) because the 60's are often on sale at Newegg for $120. The 70's are more and are only a little cheaper than the Infinity Primus 362's that are highly recommended. My thoughts have shifted towards that setup due to the recommendations, but does anyone know where I could listen to them? I live in Denver. And where to buy them at a good price? Then I would get the CS2 or 351 center to match.

The polk 60's would be about $340 for the 3, and the infinitys would be about $600. Are the infinitys that much better?

For a sub, I was thinking a Bic F-12 or PL-200. I live in an apartment though, so I'm not sure about that or how well I could keep it from being loud to my neighbors below.

For a receiver, I'm not sure. I leaning away from Onkyo for reliablity and towards Denon because of Audyssey, but I'm not sure at this price range. I don't need 3D though and will probably not have more than 5 speakers for the next 5 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the PL-200 would be worth it over the F-15. How well do those sub stands work though? Can you build your own? Otherwise I may not be able to get a sub at all.

I have looked at the Jamo's, but figured they were lower quality since they're a lot cheaper. How would they compare to the Infinitys?

I may be able to budget more towards $1k if it's worth it, too. I have a birthday coming up I could use. What would even be the next step above the Infinitys?

Receiver?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went and listened to some higher end speakers, and really love the Def Tech BP8B's, so I may be changing my plan to a 2.0 system, maybe a 3.0 because I can find the center for half off.

Is there anything else better at this price point I should look at, or anything you'd recommend for $500 or less a speaker?

And what receivers would you recommend. I think I've read Audyssey/YPAO may have issues with the bipole speakers.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
See if you can audition the Hsu bookshelves - they really are a steal IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.