AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make some decisions about home theater. The room it's going into is about 18 x 24 feet with 18 foot ceiling. I don't want to be able to burn the paint off the walls with loudness, what's important to me is crisp/clear sound at lower volumes. It is also important that the speakers be small, as this is a family room & not a formal AV room. I've been to a couple of places & this is what salespeople have recommended:

Place#1 - Denon AVR 1804 receiver, Denon DVD 910 (I only want single DVD) with Polk Speakers RM6700's

Place#2 - Marantz SR7400, Boston Acoustics System 9500 w Micro 90's. (i understand this is a discontinued model). The sales person at place #2 said with this receiver, I didn't have to spend the money on a DVD, the sound would be great because of the receiver. A $100 - $150 DVD would be fine. (The Denon DVD is $300).

To throw in another wrinkle, I've always been a fan of Bose products & have an older Acoustimass system that won't work for home theater. However, both salespeople have steered me away from Bose (Acoustimass 15). I don't know if the salespeople are giving it to me straight when they say stay away from Bose, or is it just that the other models have a bigger markup.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
A bigger markup than Bose? Doubtful.

If you came here looking for people to tell you that the salesmen you talked to were full of it, and you should go for the Bose system, then I'm afraid that you are about to be disappointed.

In fact, I'm shocked that the sales folks you talked to were knowledgeable enough to know that Bose in fact does not offer a good quality product (at nearly any price). However, that is the case. Bose are well known here, and at many other places where folks are "in the know", for being overpriced and undergood. Sorry.

The good news is that you might have found some sales people you can trust... I'd look deeper into what they have to say and evaluate those particular components yourself - as well as any suggestions that the folks here might offer you.

When you say that it is 'important' that the speakers be small... do you mean it's mandatory? and how small is small? would you consider a bookshelf type speaker? and is there room for a sub-woofer? I fear with a room that large, your system may sound a bit anemic if you don't move quite a bit of air...

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Really can't go with anything much bigger than the speakers I've mentioned. Can't do bookshelves. There is a place for a subwoofer. Can you comment the other speakers I've mentioned, or suggest others? Do you have any thoughts on the receiver/DVD? As you may be able to tell, I'm not really up on all this. The system will be used almost solely for the TV. The house was wired with wall & ceiling speakers.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd go with the Polk/Denon combo, just because I think they sound good together. Don't know about those particular polks, but the receiver should be fine. That's an awfully big room - I hope you're not disappointed with such small speakers. But they'll be better than just the TV.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'd lean the Marantz BA myself, based on listening to Marantz and Denon. Yes that is a huge space for micro-cube speakers. I would seriously try to put real speakers up front (left, center, right) and micro (or better yet in-wall) for surrounds.

IMHO, either option should sound as good or better than BOSE.

BTW, while true about sound, the Denon DVD player will have a better picture than most $150 players.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.