AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen a lot of talk about this, and I have searched.

What is the best setup, calibration or test DVD?

I have found 3, but I suspect there are more.

We have:

AVIA: Guide to Home Theater

Sound and Vision: Home Theater Tune-up

Digital Video Essentials

DVS has replace vieo essentials an appears to be the newest DVD available. AVIA has the "PRO" version, but that is out of my price range and I would not be able to consider it.

Both Avia and S&V are older DVDs. DVE is new and targets digital media directly. Is this the best disc? ANyone using it? Is this just marketing?

I have an infocus X1 on a 120" diagonal screen in 4:3. My main goal is to calibrate its picture. The audio calibrations are not as important to me.

Are there any others I (we) should know about?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
DVE for me. I had the old Laser Disc version of Video Essentials, could not live without that. It was so much part of my setup, it was given a special cover..:)

Mark

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have (and like the AVIA) I also have a Recton one that is not as good.

I hear DVE is more up to date and may be better for video, but I've heard stories of audio probelms (wrong levels in some setup tracks) so I'd confirm where that was before I bought it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DVE - no such problems with video or audio for me.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before you spend any money, you could try the THX optimzer that is bundled with many DVD's. I just found it under the setup section on Star Wars, the Phantom menace and on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD.

It was easy to follow and helped me calibrate the X1 I just hooked up.

Les

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the tip on using the setup features on those movie dvd's.

Question about DVE. I'd checked a website to buy it that had user reviews. The reviews were pretty much in two categories, those that said it had a lot of potential, but was poorly laid out for newbies, and those that loved it, gave it 5 stars, but mentioned it would be confusing for newbies to use also.

Wondering if anyone knows of a thread or a link to information where maybe a everyday person has written their own tutorial or breakdown of how best to utilize some of the features in DVE?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It won't be that bad to use - it will just take you longer - you will want to go through all the tutorial pages, and sometimes go back a second time. Give yourself 1/2 of a saturday - but you will sure understand your system after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.