Klipsch RS42 surround

Klipsch RW-10D sub

room is about 15x20ft. +/-

my tv will be used for

watching tv programs from a digital box with hdmi output

blu-ray and dvd from htpc with hdmi output

games from xbox and ps3.

my question is,

should i go with onkyo sr606 or shell out more money on the sr806.

what would i gain from 806 over 606?

and also, how should i connect these devices?

should i connect the htpc and tv box hdmi cables to my receivers? and connect the out cable to my tv?

or should i connect them to my tv and then connect the audio out from tv to receiver?

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody? is this the right forum to post this question? if not, could a moderator move this to the right section.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The usual recommendation would be to route everything through your reciever. Not many tv's can output true multichannel sound. can't help you with the 606 vs 806 - obviously there must be some difference . . .

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcablec /forum/post/15560295

anybody? is this the right forum to post this question? if not, could a moderator move this to the right section.

Thanks

While this is the "general" area that kind-of applies to your questions, you'll probably get a lot more eyes on the topic (and hence more responses) in the Amplifiers/Receivers forum, specifically in the owners threads for those models. There is usually quite a bit of banter about whether the upgrade from 606 to 706 to 806 is worth it.

Run everything to the receiver first, then output to the TV. The TV is a display device, not a switcher and not an audio processor. The AVR is designed to be both.

IMHO, the 606 offers everything I needed, so that is what I bought. I have no need for THX branding, and the 606 is plenty powerful enough. However, if you need to push more air around, then the extra power of the 806 may be worth it. My 606 gets nowhere near maxxed out, and I have a large room too (15' x 20' plus open to an even larger kitchen behind).

YMMV, IMHO, AFAIK, etc,

shinksma

1 - 5 of 5 Posts