AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....

I'm trying to set up my first 5.1 home theater sound system, i have a few ideas in mind and would like to see what you guys and gals think of that!!!

I'm doing everything from scratch, so here's what i'm planning to get:

Receiver: PIONEER VSX-819H-K or DENON AVR-890
Front Speakers: POLK RTi A7
Rear Speakers: POLK FXi A4
Center Speaker: POLK CSi A4

That is what i'm aiming for! My hometheater knowledge is very low, so i would like you to suggest me which of those two receivers will work best combined with the POLK speakers i posted above.

Few questions:

1. The DENON receiver above is 7.1 and if i use 5 speakers on it, will i be able to take advantage of wattage from 2 channels that will not be in use?

2. How do you think those receivers will do with those POLK speakers, power wise? Will it handle POLKs or i need to aim at something more powerful?

Thank you in advance, any help greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what I understand after reading numerous posts on this forum, the answer to question 1 is - you'll be fine. No difference in performance.

Question 2 - I will leave to the experts on this forum

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Welcome to the forum (disease!).

Either AVR should meet your needs. Running 5 speakers versus seven (plus a powered sub) will not increase the power to the spekaers. And it won't matter. An AVR rated at 125 wpc can't really provide 125 watts to each channel at the same time. However, it won't have to, due to the nature of the source material you will be playing. Separate amps can and will provide full rated power to all channels simultaneously, if needed.

Polk speakers are a great value when considering price and performance. I've owned a lot of them and have been very happy. My current system is the RT5000 system with an extra pair of FX1000 surrounds for 7.1. The RT3000p mains and CS1000p center have powered subs built-in and run full range. I run them with an Onkyo PR-SC885 pre/pro and Emotiva XPA-5 and UPA-2 amps, along with a pair of SVS PB12-Plus/2 subs.

I think you'll like the RTi series, and enjoy them a lot.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Of those two receivers the Denon will get closer to its specs by a long way over that Pioneer. Of course they are both in different price ranges also. For the price of that Denon you could get a Pioneer Elite 23 and that would also be a good choice. That 819 will NOT do it with those speakers. The 1019AH only put out ~26 watts per channel with 5 driven. I doubt the 819 even gets close to that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts