Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

As you can see, Im very new to this forum, but I thought Id kick off my first post with a tool that I think some of you may find useful. I just joined up a couple of days ago, and have been overwhelmed by the depth of information on this site. Right now, a home theater for me is just a dream, but I continue to feed it by doing stuff like this.

This spreadsheet allows you to input your room dimensions, as well as setup preferences for your home theater. It then returns suggested values for listening position, screen size, speaker positioning, as well as riser height. Ive tried to make the spreadsheet as flexible as possible, regarding your setup preferences. Keep in mind that the values this sheet returns are only based on my personal knowledge of home theater setup. Because I believe it is very configurable, pretty much anyone should be able to use this tool to help them explore different configuration options. Also, Ive used charts to help illustrate the results. Each wall is drawn, showing the screen, each speaker, and the listening position (depending on which chart you are looking at). Its important to make sure the X and Y axis on the chare match the values you input for room Height, Width, and Depth. Here are some things to know about how the spreadsheet works:

1. ONLY CHANGE THE CELLS WHICH ARE YELLOW, others are meant to be calculated by the sheet. All values are in inches or degrees.

2. Front Left and Front Right speaker placement are based on placing the speakers at either the front walls thirds, fifths, sevenths, or ninths. If you prefer to use speaker angle as your determining factor, use Excels Goal Seek tool in cell F5

3. The screen size is determined by two things: how far back in the room you sit, and your desired ratio of distance to screen / screen width (typical values between 1.5-2.0). Both of these are adjustable to your liking.

4. Seated Eye Height: Pretty self explanatory. Its just the measured distance from the floor to your eyeballs, when youre sitting down.

5. Seated Head Height: Only important if you have two rows of seats. Distance from the floor to the top of your head (for those sitting in the front row).

6. Screen Center Elevation: How many degrees is the CENTER of the screen above eye level?? Input anything you want, but Ive heard values between 15-20 degrees are recommended.

7. Surround Height: This is the measured distance from your ears (front row, when seated) to the surround tweeters. I defaulted the value at 36, adjust as you like.

8. Rear Speaker Angle: Dolby suggests the rear speakers be set at 135-150 degrees. Input whatever value you like. The spreadsheet and charts will show you numbers, as well as give you a visual picture of what they will look like placed at this location.

9. Front Row to Back Row Distance: This should be the distance from the eyes of the front row to the eyes of the back row. Only important if you are worried about riser height.

Ive tested the accuracy of my riser calculator against the one posted by robbyc30 and trunks (great tool guys), and while I used different equations to come up with the solution, the results are turning out the same.

I welcome any changes you guys think might improve this sheet. Right now, its in its first stage, and I hope to one day include functions that calculate room acoustic measurements based on your placement preferences (well see). Anyhow, let me know if you find this tool useful (or at least interesting) and ways I can make improvements. Thanks for your interest.

EDIT: For easiest download, use the right-click "Save As" menus...

Home Theater Setup.zip 7.619140625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried to download it but I get an error message saying "Internet Explorer unable to find or open this site" or something like that.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Very nice. I really like the graphs

Couple of observations:

The surround height input was a little confusing at first. The title may be better, "Surrounds height above ear"

The graphs arn't scaling correctly; the width of the wall appears to be set to what you set it up as. This resulted in my front right speaker being off the graph the first time I tried it. I suggest that you set the scale to auto, and plot the wall width, so that the width is correct.

Looking forward to phase II. :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Very good compilation!

Some of the output data is confusing to me. I'd like to see the speaker data from center, rather than the width column.

Why fractions of room lentgh for seating position? Is that an audio formula? I'd rather see it in inches.

Good work!

Clay

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitten by HT
I tried to download it but I get an error message saying "Internet Explorer unable to find or open this site" or something like that.
I got this error when I tested the link to. If you right click and choose "save as" it will download the file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k---
Very nice. I really like the graphs

Couple of observations:

The surround height input was a little confusing at first. The title may be better, "Surrounds height above ear"

The graphs arn't scaling correctly; the width of the wall appears to be set to what you set it up as. This resulted in my front right speaker being off the graph the first time I tried it. I suggest that you set the scale to auto, and plot the wall width, so that the width is correct.

Looking forward to phase II. :)
Great Suggestions about autoscaling the wall dimensions. I couldn't figure out how to automate this, so I just resorted to manually changing it when I changed room dimensions. I'll work on this and change the nomenclature of the surround inputs also. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay
Very good compilation!

Some of the output data is confusing to me. I'd like to see the speaker data from center, rather than the width column.

Why fractions of room lentgh for seating position? Is that an audio formula? I'd rather see it in inches.

Good work!

Clay
Sorry some of this data gets to be a little much...that's why I used those charts to actually help me visualize. Width measurements are meant to be taken from left to right, length from front to back, and height from bottom to top.

As far as the seating position being expressed as a fraction...this can be manually overridden if you like by just typing your desired seating position in the approriate cells. I chose to express it as a fraction because I"ve read and heard that 2/3 room length is a good general ballpark area to start. Something to think about.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm sure I'll be working more on this!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5
Nice job! Can you modify the tool to accept 3 rows of seating?
I'll get to work on this too...hopefully today will be a slow day at work :)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Instead of Screen Center Elevation, I would use the following inputs (which are far more common): screen aspect ratio, screen diagonal, height to bottom of screen. Then you can calculate the elevation, as well as have more information to use later. You also would not need the screen width ratio, as that could be calculated. I agree with Clay that it'd be better to use seating distance from screen instead of ratio of total room length.

By the way, great job! It's nice to see someone contributing to the forum right away, in such a useful manner!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.