AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building a home and I am trying to setup some of the wiring myself before they put up drywall. I have a PS3, xbox 360, wii, and a receiver to hook up. I want to run that to two places in the living room, 1 outside and 1 in the bedroom. I have surround sound in the living room which will be atleast 5.1 and 2 speakers outside. I want to be able to watch or play any of my systems on any 1 of the tvs. I don't necessarily want to be able to do this at the same time. I planned on using an hdmi switch, but I am unsure if this will work. I am having trouble figuring out how to wire the receiver with the ps3, xbox and wii and the hdmi switch so that I can get surround sound in the main room, but I want to be able to watch a blu-ray in my bedroom, which doesn't have surround sound just the tv. The tvs will plug into the wall via a hdmi to cat 6 wall plate. Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If your receiver has an HDMI connection and can decode the sound from the HDMI (some of the cheaper receivers unfortunately don't) then you just plug the HDMI cable from your source into the receiver and the receiver output HDMI cable to the TV.

If the receiver doesn't decode the audio from HDMI, then you need to run a digital audio cable (either optical or coax) from the source to the receiver.

Are you using HDMI-to-CAT-5/6 converters to run the signal on CAT-6 cables?

You can use an HDMI splitter if you want to run the Blu-Ray signal to more than one location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using hdmi cat 6 wall plates to convert the signal. You can find these on monoprice.com. I think I can plug the receiver, ps3, xbox 360, and cable box into the 4x4 hdmi switch and plug one of the outputs into the receiver that has multizone function. That should allow me to listen to surround sound inside and my 2 outdoor speakers. Then I can run another output from the switch straight to my bedroom to be able to watch blu-ray movies. The problem I was having was not knowing whether or not the hdmi switch could fun more than one output at a time. I think it will; it is the 4x4 switch on monoprice.com. Has anyone done this? I'm curious to know if it works.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
A 4X4 matrix switch will output any combination of inputs to any combination of outputs. Thus you could have all 4 outputs simultaneously transmitting from one input, or each input going to any output. Thus it should work for what you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts