AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony v333es receiver is on its last legs, so I am thinking of getting a Panasonic XR-57 receiver. Coincidently I was also going to get the Samsung H260F set-top box.

Going with these two components are:

TV: Hitachi G500 57" Rear Projection with DVI, and 2 Component

Zenith DVB-318 DVD Player

Explorer 8300HD HD-DVR from Time Warner Cable

Polk Audio RM-6600 speaker set

My thought is, I can use the component outs from the Samsung set-top and the DVR and have them go into the Panasonic XR-57 receiver. I read somewhere that it has a switch, so I figured it would then only utilize 1 of my component jacks on the Hitachi g500. The other component would go from the Zenith DVD player to the TV directly. All of the audio from the DVR/Set-top and DVD player would go into the receiver via optical.

Does anyone think this would pose any problems whatsoever? Or should this work without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Should work fine. May i ask why you are not utilizing the DVI on your set though? I know that using DVI/HDMI on a CRT RPTV isn't supposed to make a difference in picture quality, but all the HD cable boxes i've had that have had DVI/HDMI definitely look better using that connection. I currently have the SA8300 hooked up to my CRT RPTV(Toshiba 46H83) and can assure you it looks much better hooked up with an HDMI to DVI cable rather than component. Try it out if your not utilizing your DVI input on your set for something else. I think you'll be able to see a difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may try that, however I know that on the back of the TV under Video 1, there is the DVI connection and component both under Video 1. So I am not sure I can switch between both, or if I can only use one of the connections.

The thing I am really worried about is being able to run everything. 3 component (STB, HD-DVR, DVD Player) all need to go into the TV, or into the receiver and then switch between the units.

Also, from looking on this forum, and others. If I utilize the DVI port on my Zenith DVB-318, then the upconversion will not work right. I have a pre-april 03 version, but then there is a white crush issue. So I can only use the component.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I see your point about the DVD player, i almost bought that model myself back when it came out being that at the time it was the only player to upconvert over component. You'll need to check and see if your SA8300 looks better via DVI like mine does, but if it does the same job over DVI that mine does as opposed to component, i think it's well worth it. Then just use your Receiver to switch among your other component devices. And you probably cannot connect 2 devices to video 1 , as one will probably take preference over the other. GL, and let me know what you end up doing or how the DVI/HDMI connection looks on your set via SA8300 if you try it out, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do like the receiver, but I don't know what I'll do once I get the set-top box. I purchased a hdmi-dvi cable last night via ebay, so that should be here next week.

I wouldn't mind keeping the Sony ES receiver, but the power issue is annoying me. Someone did help me with that, and said it might be a simple fuse that I need to replace, but I have not taken everything out of the back yet, so I can open it up and check.

One thing is for sure, I don't want to spend the $500 or more I spent on the v333ES receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.