AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i am baffled as to how i fix my speaker problems. i currently have a mix of mediocre speakers (jbl, sony, four 8" mic ceiling for surround and back channels).

jbl towers up from flanking my plasma, small pos sony center thing, and a crapola sony powered sub. all powered by a decent denon avr. low-med volume its ok, but beyond that the sub pops and the center channel just sounds wrong. the jbl's and ceiling speaker do fine.

here;s the issue, i have a sunken wall that is approx 12ft wide, 2.2ft deep, and 10ft high. i have a 42" panny plasma on the wall, small audio cabinet in th middle, flanked by 4ft high jbl's. ok, wife went out and bought some furniture pieces, left/right towers, a middle "console" and a bridge that sits on top of the towers. get this, the width of the console piece is a tad wider that a 55" lcd. i am planning to get a new LG 55" soon, maybe the 55LX9500

so, i need to rid the jbl's, crap sony sub and center. what are my choices to get back my 7.1 sound stage? what about some Sunfire in-wall's behind the lcd? placing a sub wont be so easy either because the furniture fills the sunken wall completely.

any suggestions here? damn furniture is killing my sound stage.

thnx

DK

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pic of my wall. and correction, its only a tad over 8ft wide. mabe some on-wall speakers above the new furniture along with a center channel right in front of new LG 55" LCD? does BIC Acoustech have a set that might work? goal is to retain my 7.1 while "hiding" the speakers as much as possible. i am thinking my new sub will have to be in the form of a functional piece of furniture, like a end table, etc.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/19650600

can you fit good bookshelf speakers in the new "towers" of furniture?

maybe, i might have to make that "compromise" argument...... rid the tower jbl's for some bookshelf speakers that sit in the furniture.

my concern with mounting speakers above the furniture on the wall is that they would be high and almost 2ft behind the center channel which might cause some odd phasing issues. i also need to figure out how/where a sub fits into the room, the floor is a slab so getting wires here/there isnt so easy...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so, my center console piece has a shelf space about 7" high, so i could fit a center channel there. however, i am leaning towards using in-wall's for L/R mains that will be above the pillars and approx 20" behind the tv (approx 25" behind the front face of the furniture). so if i do in-wall's should i also use a in-wall center channel? i just dont know what weird phasing i might get by placing front mains ~25" behind the center channel. i do not believe my denon has has digital delay.

i am investigatng this option 1st. if the cons are too much then i will investigate bookshelf speakers with center channel in the furniture, etc.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here's my new in-progress tv center. got all 4 pieces in the raw. now you can see my speaker issue. i will be making a "box" to lift the tv up so there will be room there for a center speaker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.