AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever.

Now I've had this problem for a bit I just havent been able to figure out what is causing the big dip in sound. Here is a list of my whole set.

Onkyo 1007 which drives my four surrounds

Emovtia XPA-5 which drives my five fronts

9 Martin Logan Encore TF

2 Epik Empires

It seems to be the 5 fronts that go down but not 100% sure because thats a lot speakers to check and at those levels I can go deaf pretty quick being so close to the speakers...Now I do have each speaker set +12db and the volume at 0.0db

I've checked the cables, I've checked each speaker on its own still getting the dip. +4.5db seems to be my limit.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyneSuffer /forum/post/19512596

Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever.

Now I've had this problem for a bit I just havent been able to figure out what is causing the big dip in sound. Here is a list of my whole set.

Onkyo 1007 which drives my four surrounds

Emovtia XPA-5 which drives my five fronts

9 Martin Logan Encore TF

2 Epik Empires

It seems to be the 5 fronts that go down but not 100% sure because thats a lot speakers to check and at those levels I can go deaf pretty quick being so close to the speakers...Now I do have each speaker set +12db and the volume at 0.0db

I've checked the cables, I've checked each speaker on its own still getting the dip. +4.5db seems to be my limit.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Sounds like Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) or whatever it's called. It's a setting within the Onkyo that sould be able to be turned off.

I'm assuming that you're using the Onkyo as your sound processor as well as driving the 4 surrounds.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I had night mode engaged on mine, Onkyo 507 (on accident), and was experiencing the same thing. I'm not sure if it is the same thing as the other two items (modes) mentioned, but maybe worth a look.

The other thing that come to mind is what is you Emotiva plugged into. If you have it plugged into a "power center" or a surge suppressor, or something of that nature those types of devices can limit the power to the amp which causes issues due to the amp not being able to pull enough current to drive all the speakers. Since you mention that is is the front five (you believe) check this out as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If I'm following you correctly, you have each speaker calibrated +12 on the Onkyo?

How did you arrive at this? You use a sound level meter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like I'm not getting anymore responses but I do have an update...I have been doing more research and it seems that the Onkyo 1007-5007 are famous for audio drop outs so I'm going to look into returning this A/V and getting a replacement. So we will see what happends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts