AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some thoughts on matching a speaker package to a list of Receivers that I am considering.

The Receiver List:

Pioneer Elite 56 TXi

Denon 3805

Marantz SR7500

Yamaha HTR 5790

I will be using my theater for mostly HDTV, DVD and XBox purposes. If anyone is currently using one of the above receivers, I'd love to hear your opinions on the speakers you are using.

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Room size?

Budget?

WAF?

Matter, these things do!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry... devil and details, right?? :)

Room size is 18.5 x 10.5

Budget is flexible as I know virtually zero about speakers so I wouldn't really be able to qualify accurately. In general though, I'm looking mid-level to high-end range.

WAF is not an issue - this will be a dedicated theater room in the basement that I am taking control of :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well high end to me at least means speakers that START around 5 grand a piece and thats just the tip of the iceberg in "high end" audio so a budget really helps

====================================================

Ahhh.. my tagline does say Newbie right? :) Ok then $5k is above my limit for sure. How about a package somewhere in the $2000 - $3000 range for 6.1 or 7.1?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Is that including sub?

Seth

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that including sub?

================

I say "Yes" to start with - but I'm flexible depending on quality of system that can be put together.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Ok,

So figure $700 on a sub. Since you said $2-3k lets just forget the $3k and go with $2k not including sub. (and cables which is usually $200 [figure 200ft and terminations and sub cable (~$20) and video cables

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the details Seth... this is indeed a great help. On your last point:

"of course if you have a projector setup you don't use a dedicated center, just a 3rd main channel."

I will have a project setup - could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by this?

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
That means you can use a full size speaker behind the screen, where a TV would be if you're not using a projector. You don't have to, it's just an option.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
^^ exactly.

Just put 3 identical speakers up front.

For those who are in the camp that there is no such thing as an acoustically transparent screen, getting a horizontal center or 'cube' center that goes just below the bottom edge of the screen is just as well. Just make sure that the tweeter of the mains isn't near the top of the screen ad the center atthe bottom. The tweeters of all three speakers should be as close as possible on the horizontal plane.

Seth

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok.. thanks guys - understand now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.