AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is going to be 13x22 and used only for watching movies and TV. I will be running a 7.1 setup. I'm looking around $2500 (not including a sub). I will need a receiver. I could do 5.1 for now and get the two surrounds later if the more expensive speakers were worth it. I have looks from def techs, klipsch, paradigm, etc.... What setups do you all recommend for the given above?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The SVS MTS series is right at your budget http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-mts01.cfm they have a trial period, Ascend Acoutisc Sierra 1 bookshelfs and center channel http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html Axiom is another good choice great return/trial policy
http://www.axiomaudio.com/index2.html

AV123 is another option, although I hear they have had some problems or something, I don't know much about them but quite a few on the forum have them and I don't here any complains about them. Just a few off the top of my head, some others PSB, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio RTi and LSI series, Boston Acoustics Vista series has gotten some good reviews, Martin Logan and Bowers Wilkins. I would go 5.1 now and then add the 2 rears later not much happens in the rears anyway. Don't judge a speaker in a dealers treated rooms, take them home and listen to them in your room and with your equipment, it can be like night and day between the 2.

Whoa didn't notice you needed a receiver, count out the MTS and Sierras but they make other range of speakers in your budget.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Receiver prices are dropping like flies as the new model comes in to replace them. Look around amazon, newegg, dealsofamerica, slickdeals, fatwallet, bensbargain and you'll see some good prices. I have seen a lot of sales on the Onkyo and Yamaha receiver. Going with any of the Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Harman Kardon would be fine. Just make sure you spend the majority of your money on your speaker. I say, 500-$600ish receiver should be fine.

That leaves roughly $1,900-$2K for speaker. There are definately options out there for you. With BM stores, their speakers will cost a lot more but definately easier to find and listen too. Each speaker will sound different so you need to find out what kind of speaker do you prefer. Above poster gave good choices. Polk LSi....Polk Lsi are power hunger so you just gotta make sure your reciever can handle it. Out of your selections, I enjoy all of them as Home Theater uses but only Paradigm came out for both music and home theater but that just my opinion.

Going Internet Direct store, it comes with its flaws and benifits as well. Harder to find, shipping cost (to and back), less well known, but cheaper overall than retail. Some love Internet Direct stores, some think its a gimmick. I happen to like Internet Direct. If you hitting ID stores, you can call customer service to see if anyone will allow you to test them if someone is near you. 2ndly, find out which company offers free shipping and you can test them yourself and return what you don't like.

IMHO, AV123 sales offers some of the most amazing deal based on price (remember, just my opinion and its worth nothing) but they do have a VERY BIG CUSTOMER issues over the past year or so. I'm not going to go into it. Just google them. If you buy from them, make sure it's in stock and pay with credit card (if issues arise, be sure to dispute it before time run out).

Next closest deal I see and like is the Swan Diva 6.1 at Ozhometheater.com. He have some good deals on Swans and a dealer for them. Call them if they are in stock. Theaudioinsider.com is also another dealer for Swans.

Axiom, Ascend, Aperion as above poster stated are other well known ID brand as well.

Now, here is my favorite budget speaker: Infinity Primus/Beta. I bought a 5.0 Infinity Primus 362 for under $600. Brings a smile to my face everytime I listen to it. Definately not the best sounding speakers but definately the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. The hard part is finding it on sale. Try harman audio at ebay, amazon, or Fry's (where i got mine). Black Friday is months away...I'm sure it'll hit on a great sale if they have it in stock.

Don't short change yourself out of a good subwoofer....make sure you have a healthy budget. HSU, SVS, Epik, eD are ones you can look into.

Monoprice.com have very, very affordable HDMI, cables, and wires. Love their prices and items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts