AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I haven't posted here...

So here's a new subject. I currently have a 5.1 speaker setup for my home theater, which goes as follows:

Totem Acoustic Model-1 fronts and center channel

Totem Acoustic Mite rears

SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver

Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65-inch 3D plasma

Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3D blu-ray player

I also have a stereo setup in which I use Sonus Faber Toy tower speakers. I liked those so much, that I ordered the Sonus Faber Toy center in order to try the full front setup in replacement of my Totems...

I'm still waiting for my SF center to arrive at my house, but wanted to know your opinion on which front setup is more suitable for home theater use?

The Sonus Faber Toys (fronts and center) OR Totem Model-1 (fronts and center) ???

The Sonus Fabers are 8-ohm and 89 db sensitivity, so would probably be easier to drive than the 4-ohm 87 db sensitivity Totems... but some times numbers on paper don't mean a thing.

I really enjoy the Model-1s, but I liked the Sonus Fabers in stereo so much (they kill my Model-1 for stereo) that I thought they'd make a great front setup for home theater...

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my Totem Acoustic home theater setup to the following setup:

- Sonus Faber Toy towers (fronts)

- Sonus Faber Toy center

- Sonus Faber Toy monitors (rears)

- SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

- Onkyo TX-NR3008 THX Ultra2 Plus receiver (140w RMS/ch @ 8 ohms)

What a great improvement in sound quality! And the Sonus Fabers are easier to drive (8-ohms vs the Totem's 4-ohm). The Sonus Fabers are also more sensitive (89dB vs Totem's 87dB).

Sound is much clearer and I'm hearing things I wasn't hearing before while watching movies.

The Sonus Faber Toy towers were initially in my stereo setup that I had in another room for music listening. So by moving the SFs to the home theater, I had to purchase a new pair of speakers for stereo.

I auditioned a bunch of speakers in the 3500-4500$ range, and I ended up buying the wonderful Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand speakers (driven by my Rega Elicit integrated amp and Rega Saturn CD player).

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Sounds like all ended well. Grab a glass of your favorite beverage and enjoy. Being that you're in Canada, I recommend the Don De Dieu . It goes great with jazz.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee /forum/post/20977533

I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my Totem Acoustic home theater setup to the following setup:

- Sonus Faber Toy towers (fronts)

- Sonus Faber Toy center

- Sonus Faber Toy monitors (rears)

- SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer

- Onkyo TX-NR3008 THX Ultra2 Plus receiver (140w RMS/ch @ 8 ohms)

What a great improvement in sound quality! And the Sonus Fabers are easier to drive (8-ohms vs the Totem's 4-ohm). The Sonus Fabers are also more sensitive (89dB vs Totem's 87dB).

Sound is much clearer and I'm hearing things I wasn't hearing before while watching movies.

The Sonus Faber Toy towers were initially in my stereo setup that I had in another room for music listening. So by moving the SFs to the home theater, I had to purchase a new pair of speakers for stereo.

I auditioned a bunch of speakers in the 3500-4500$ range, and I ended up buying the wonderful Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand speakers (driven by my Rega Elicit integrated amp and Rega Saturn CD player).

A few months ago I went by a local dealer to audition the GoldenEar tritons, and listened to a set of the toys. I REALLY liked them alot ... I thought the toys were a much better speaker for the price even if it they didn't have the bass of the tritons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.