AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finishing off our basement, and one of the rooms will be a home theater. I'm going to do the wiring myself, with the help of the electrician doing the high voltage wiring if I need it.

Right now, I just have two questions...

1. I have a Viewsonic Pro8100 projector that I am going to ceiling mount. The home theater electronics are going at the back of the room. I would like to 'future proof' the projector mount by running a conduit through the ceiling, so that I can change cables if needed. But I am running across the ceiling/floor joists, so it's not like I can just slap in a 3" piece of PVC pipe. The total run is only about 8' in the ceiling before I could bring it down the wall. What's the best way to run cables in a situation like this ? If I have to go with the joists to the side of the room and then back, that 8' run turns into about 15', with multiple bends. So going through the ceiling, through the joists would be preferrable...

2. Ideally I would like the subwoofer to go at the front of the room, but this will mean running about a 30' run from the back of the room all the way around to the front. Is this a problem ? I think I would buy a pre-made cable for the run once I have the exact length requirements - I want to put a nice faceplate on both sides...

That's it. Sorry if these are stupid questions !

·
Registered
364 Posts
check the specs on your floor joists, should be able to see the manufacture and model number and look on their website, but I don't think there would be any problem with a 3 inch hole to run conduit. The size of the hole will vary depending on if you have engineered or laminated veneer. Georgia Pacific's website re: I-joists has specs regarding the size of the hole and how far the edge of the hole can be from each flange...the size of the hole will depend on the size of the I-joist as well as the span of that particular joist.

You could always run a couple of smaller ones and feed them to blank boxes for the time being.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=1390

·
Registered
573 Posts
Or you could always build a soffit and put your conduit in there. My electrician did not want me to run conduit in my joists so I just did without. I ran hdmi, component, cat5, and cat6 up there. If my hdmi fails I have the cat5 and cat6 for backup. I would have done both cat6 but drywall was going up that day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts