AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building a dedicated home theater addition on to my home.

My question is about speaker wiring.

I have a Definitive Technology system. The left/right/center all have powered subs as well as a separate SuperCube1.

I would like to split the LFE out from my receiver to all the 4 subs and run the wiring through the wall. Is there any inexpensive way to do this? I currently have my system setup this way and have been pleased with the performance, but my cable runs through the wall of the new theater room will be much longer and I would like to keep the cost down.

Also, since I don't want to see any of the wiring, I was going to install an a/c outlet behind the placement of each speaker. The problem with that is that I won't be able to plug the subs into a surge protector/line conditioner. Since I am running a dedicated line for the home theater, can I use a surge protector at the panel just for that circuit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
in terms of running rca cables through the wall , the omly option is a cl3/ft4 rated in wall wire.

as for thw surge protector issue, monster and ps audio both make units that plug into the outlet and is not a power bar but more of an inline protection.

·
Registered
114 Posts
mbroder

As far as having your subs protected with the serge protector. In my theater I'm using an RPTV but I ran dead circits from the componat rack to the an outlet behind the tv, the sub woofer and one to the celing (future upgrade).

I will then build a dual male cord that will plug into the surge protector then into the wall out let that feeds the out laying componants ( basicly an inwall extension cord)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Many subs and amps come with their own built in surge protection. Call your manufacturer to see if yours does.

edit--if your walls are still open, and it is not too expensive, get a dedicated circuit for your tv/projector (20amp), source equipment(20amp), and amplification, including subs (30 amp).

edit2--as far as wire for your subs goes, you could also get plastic conduit put in, so you could choose any cable you wanted to. It will also allow you to change cables in the future.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
LUV, please don't make a double-male cord. The fact that it's illegal is minor compared to the danger. Look for a male plug integrated in a plate, and you can get receptacles that have surge protection built-in. Both are made by Leviton, Hubbel, etc. Check a local electrical supply house (Graybar, for example), and they will most likely have to be ordered.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you Larry for the advice. The idea was given to me by a licensed electrition. I will look for the intergrated male plug outlet.

??? what if I were to hard wire the cord into the box? that way it would only be live when it is plugged into the HTS 2500

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
A licensed electrician??? Yikes! It's illegal to construct any device that can have blades energized while exposed. I'm amazed that he recommended it. I recently saw a similar cable for a standby generator made by an electrician. I explained to the homeowner the dangers. A year later, it was still there.

The hardwired method would be much safer, and possibly skirts the legal edge. You can find or make a metal (for strength) blank plate and install a cable clamp to grip the flexible cable. Make sure the cable is sized for the circuit, #12 or #14, even though it's plugged in.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Go the Direct wired route. That was the only solution that worked for my Def Techs. This setup still meets code because no wires are exposed, the cord is detachable, and the speaker is fused as well as the circuit breaker on the other end.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Use RG59 in the walls for your sub cables. It's excellent for this purpose. I have two runs of RG59 in the wall for a sub in each front corner. The wall plate is a standard threaded coax connector (F connector), and I made an F-to-RCA cable for the actual connection to the sub. Or, use any standard coax cable along with an F-to-RCA adapter.

- Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.