AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be interesting to discuss our upcoming theater project. We are custom building line array speakers for all 7 channels. I am sure some controversy will occur over the center and rear speakers. We are going to install them horizontally. The length of the center will be almost as wide as the viewing area.

We have all the cabinets built. A Couple of pics are included. The cabinets shown with drivers installed are the side channels.

We are integrating custom built Class D ampliers (2 two hundred watt amps per speaker) with built in electronic crossover as well. Going to test out our prototype version tomorrow sometime.

The room is 25 by 16 by 10. Woofers are still in discussion,but I was thinking about a couple Exodus Audio's new 21" woofers for the front and some built in Wisdom inwall woofers for the back of the room.

Should be a fun project!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ddingle - have you heard the Wisdom S90I in action yet? I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago and was simply blown away by the depth and tunefulness of the unit. They have the option of using up to 4 in their demo room.

Also have to ask if you didn't consider the L150I for this rather than building your own huge custom line array with conventional drivers?

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad /forum/post/16970606

Ddingle - have you heard the Wisdom S90I in action yet? I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago and was simply blown away by the depth and tunefulness of the unit. They have the option of using up to 4 in their demo room.

Also have to ask if you didn't consider the L150I for this rather than building your own huge custom line array with conventional drivers?

Neil

I have heard the S90I at CEDIA last year. Unfortunately not critical listening in the cardboard room they were demonstrating in. The size works out nicely in the back of the room or even built in to the floor risers.I like the Wisdom team. They know what they are doing.

These custom built Line Arrays should offer more bang for the buck than any ready made product.Hopefully!

The right and left are going to be floor to ceiling!Around 9 feet. Ideal for Line Arrays. Sensitivity should be in the 95db area.

With so many drivers,it takes very little motion from each to produce high levels.Distortion is very low. Dynamic Range is off the charts high as well.

We also have the option of modifying the speakers if things don't work as well as planned.I do not expect that to happen however. I have a feeling there will be few home theaters with this many drivers in it. Although we are not looking to win any contests

·
Registered
904 Posts
Are they going behind a screen?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 /forum/post/16971752

Are they going behind a screen?

No,After much discussion we decided to go with a Solid Screen. It is a Stewart Studiotech 130.Constant Area Design. 60" by 144" 2.40 aspect and 70" by 125" for 1.78

The right and left speakers fit just to the outside of the screen. The full length center channel is above the screen.As it is a line array placed horizontally,it should have good vertical dispersion from it's higher than desirable position.Being the full width of the screen should allow for good horizontal center channel coverage.It has a "tapered" output,the outer drivers are at a lower level than the middle ones.

At least thats the idea.We're working with a engineer who knows line arrays in and out.

The customer did not want to compromise video. That is his priority.

The projector is a DPI Reference 3D.One highlight is a Intelligent Lens system with memories for zoom and focus. No anamorphic lens required.

I do not think the audio will be compromised a ton by not being behind the screen in this case. I will post some more pictures of the speakers in the near future.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I had some decent line arrays in my old theater and must say it was incredibly impressive sounding. I still miss the line array system when I listen to music.

While I haven't done any of the math on it, I would guess your center channel is a wider array than you need and I would try to stick to vertical arrays for surrounds and narrow down the center array a bit to steer the center channel towards the center more for older soundtracks that were mixed correctly. Lots if not most of the newer releases seem like they have totally screwed the pooch on keeping dialog in the center channel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Mr. Poindexter about the center. Remember how the center is mixed. Nailing the center in the center is crutial for the people listening off to the left or right. A full width center will blur pans and dialogue. Consider the distance between either front speaker and the center. It may be only a couple of feet if your center is a full width horizontal line array. It would be much like setting the fronts to "Large" and crossing over the center at, say, 120Hz with a single center speaker. Everything from 120 down would go to the left and right fronts, blurring the center and increasing its apparent width. That example assumes a bass management system that allows for that. I have line array front left and right with a single surround in the center. The front left and right should be out from the back wall and the side wall too. My surrounds and center are the same speaker, the fronts are line array.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rich /forum/post/16979730

I agree with Mr. Poindexter about the center. Remember how the center is mixed. Nailing the center in the center is crutial for the people listening off to the left or right. A full width center will blur pans and dialogue. Consider the distance between either front speaker and the center. It may be only a couple of feet if your center is a full width horizontal line array. It would be much like setting the fronts to "Large" and crossing over the center at, say, 120Hz with a single center speaker. Everything from 120 down would go to the left and right fronts, blurring the center and increasing its apparent width. That example assumes a bass management system that allows for that. I have line array front left and right with a single surround in the center. The front left and right should be out from the back wall and the side wall too. My surrounds and center are the same speaker, the fronts are line array.

Thanks for the input!

We are "tapering" the output of the center channel away from the center of the speaker.

This is a bit of an experiment, so we can even disable drivers if it seems appropriate. System should be complete late this fall sometime.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I suppose if you wanted to stick with the massive number of drivers, you could experiment with a highly convex enclosure and simulate a point source but I am not really sure how that would turn out acoustically.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
a horizontal line array will produce one big vertical lobe in the middle of the room with wicked fast fall off as you go off axis. a steerable lobe (from left to right) based on DSP products used to be sure, but a nice thin vertical lobe.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the woofers we are using in the front. 4 Exodus Audio 21" drivers.

2 woofers per 2' by 2' by 5' cabinet. We are also going to place 4 of the new BG in wall woofer design in the sides and rear of the room. See review for more info on those.

http://www.hemagazine.com/BG_Radia_BGX-4850_Review

In addition we tested the prototype custom amplifier design for the arrays. 2 Hypex UCD 400 HG HXR modules combined with a Marchand XM44 crossover in a single case. One of these for each speaker. So 7 for this system.

As an experiment we upgraded 4 op-amps in the Marchand to a more "audiophile" design.Early listening tests produced good results!

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/17181222

Interesting thread. I normally hang out in the DIY section but I'm going to post here so I can track this amazing build.

What drivers are you going to be using for the arrays?

We are using a Minneapolis based driver supplier! Misco has been in business for something like 50 years.
www.miscospeakers.com

·
Banned
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/17181222

Interesting thread. I normally hang out in the DIY section but I'm going to post here so I can track this amazing build.

[URL='http://www.1-imageshack.us/images/**************%5B/img']http://www.1-imageshack.us/images/**************[/img[/URL] ]

What drivers are you going to be using for the arrays?
[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know the drivers being used.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Absolutely insane, well done!
I'd love to hear how they sound.

I've used lots of Misco speakers, but in a different application. They make great weatherproof speakers, and I used their 4" in 100s of drivethrough intercom systems at McDonald's.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy66 /forum/post/17391550

I would also like to know the drivers being used.

I recall they are a special order from Misco. I did not place the order,but will see if I can find out what the model or part numbers are.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyone was anxious to hear the big arrays. We set them up very roughly with the custom Class D amplifier/crossovers at the office. Pretty outrageous sound! Did not even make any level adjustments on the woofer/tweeter controls. Seems pretty balanced. Listening to familiar recordings, it seems more like the instruments are "in the room".As big as the speakers are they "disappear" nicely.

Fine tuning to continue.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried the newly remastered Beatles recordings. It really sounded like John Lennon was alive and well between the speakers!

Lifelike imaging would be a major understatement.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts