AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone who knows more than I do, please help!

I own a decent TV and a computer that will be placed nearby it. I am looking to build a home theatre around the TV, so I've got a decision. I don't want to spend much money on this. Should I go ahead and buy a home theatre in a box, or is there a decently cheap way for me to build just as good a system, using my computer?

So option 1 - spend $300-500 on a home theatre in a box.

Option 2 - buy speakers, a decent sound card, and whatever else i'd need to hook my TV and video game systems through my computer to pump sound out of those speakers? i've got a decent computer with a dvd drive, but i would have to invest in a decent sound card i know.

Which option is best, and can anybody give me direction on what to buy? I don't plan on ever blasting the volume on this system, so I don't need serious watts, but I do want Dolby Digital, DTS, and pro logic 2 (which some of my games would take advantage of)

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I would go with a separate system. PCs don't display well on TVs, and if you buy equivalent speakers and all you will not save a lot of cash, and you will not be able to use your PC while watching TV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then my question is which home theatre in a box is the best for under $400 and the features I mentioned above?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I disagree about the computers not displaying well on TV's. Depending on the TV DVI input can look fantastic. If you don't have access to DVI using a VGA to Component transcoder like the ones made by Key Digital and Audio Authority can produce very nice results. With a transcoder and a decent video card you can have 1080i DVD playback and desktop which look very nice for general use, Web surfing and movie watching.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Go to the Home Theater Computer section and read and decide.

By decent tv, do you mean high definition? If so, then a htpc IS an excellent way to go!

A good soundcard and a set of Klipsch speakers (or Logitech Z series) can fill a small room with very good sound at an attractive price.

No idea if ProLogic2 is on the pc, yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I don't mean decent TV meaning an HDTV. I have more knowledge than the average joe about electronics, but don't have the cash yet to spend as much as I'd like to on it. So considering about a $400 ceiling, any home theatres-in-a-box stand tall above the others?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.