AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hi all! i'm new to the forums and i'm hoping to learn quite a bit in the coming months. now, before i start, i want to make it clear that i am in no means a professional builder or technician so go easy on me if i make some mistakes.

So, down to the problem. My family has recently decided to renovate and extend one of the rooms and turn it into a general living room with a home theatre. Currently we're still in the planning stages, talking with contractors to see whats possible or not.

The room is going to be roughly 14x19 feet and we plan to put up a fake wooden cabinet wall at one end. This will be where the TV is going to be installed. there will be functional cabinets to store all the equipment, and there will also be a hidden door that leads to a small closed off room behind the wall for easy access to the back panel of the TV which will be mounted directly onto the wooden wall. the TV we're using is a Sony 46" XBR, which is, from what i've read, 36kg without the stand.

this leads me to the first question. would the wooden wall be strong enough to support the TV? any recommendations if it isn't? or any recommendations for a particular type of wood?

Now, there is another issue. I live in the tropics, and therefore require quite a robust air conditioner, which would most probably be a split system. in an attempt to maintain the aesthetics of the room though, it was suggested that maybe we could also fit the air conditioner in the hidden room behind the wooden wall and have vents to pass the air into the main room.

personally, i'm a little dubious about this idea. at first i thought it mite be a good idea to help cool the equipment, and maybe soundproofing the wall might help with the noise. But then i was wondering if there were any detrimental side effects to having the cooling system so close to the equipment? or would it cause the wood to rot prematurely? anybody have any thoughts on this?

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, the airconditioner issue sort of fixed itself... we decided to go with a discreet ceiling mounted unit instead.

i have another question now though. We were originally thinking of having the front speakers, or at least the center speaker, built into the cabinet. as in physically mounted so that they would blend into the cabinet (the front of the speakers flush with the face of the cabinet). But i've just read that speakers should be given "room to breathe". I'm not entirely sure what this means though. does it mean that the speaker needs ventilation? or does it need a large enough room to let the sound spread out?

also, would vibrations transferring from the speaker into the cabinet via the mounting be a problem?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You want to pad and/or de-couple speakers from the cabinet. Consider padding the area around the speaker with acoustic foam, leaving a bit on the side for cooling, and, if the speaker is vented/ported, making sure you make the speaker vent to free air. Also consider putting the speakers on something like an Auralex MoPAD for de-coupling from the shelf.

Regarding hanging the TV, the wall will be framed. You should measure the distance needed to screw in the mount, and make sure to put studs in the wall at the exact distance needed for the mount. Another option is to put horizontal braces vertially where the mount should go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply. Is acoustic foam something i should be able find at my local hardware store? my local store is rather lacking. any other alternatives? packing foam perhaps? internet ordering is going to have to be a last resort due to my location, but if i have to....

the metal braces is an excellent idea, i think i'll do that, thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No, acoustic foam is a pretty specialized material. You can, perhaps, use regular fiberglass insulation batts -- used both to keep warm in (in cold places), and warm out (in warm places). Another creative option might be to get acoustic ceiling tiles, and build an enclosure for the speakers using those, padding out to the shelf walls.

Given that I'm just an old studio guy and not a professional installer, I'd climb out on a limb to give any more recommendations -- I know there are pro installers on this board, who might better answer this question.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotsy /forum/post/0

this leads me to the first question. would the wooden wall be strong enough to support the TV? any recommendations if it isn't? or any recommendations for a particular type of wood?

Perhaps you can clarify, if you attach a wall mount to a framed wall (that is constructed well enough), it will easily support that TV. The part that I did not get was how you intend to do that if the back will be open so you can access it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the room has brick walls on all sides. at one end of the room we are planning on putting up a wooden floor to ceiling cabinet with full sized doors. This is where all the equipment would be stored and the TV would mount directly onto it in a specifically designed area. one of the doors of the cabinet would just lead to the small area behind the cabinet to gain access to the back panel of the TV. the area where the TV is mounted would have a small hole cut out where the panel of the TV would be and all the wires would run behind the cabinet. i'll try an draw up a simple blueprint when i have the time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.