AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues hooking up my stereo (Sony: STR-K840P) to my TV (Panny: 50PZ80U) and Blueray player (BDP S350) and have become baffled and irritated. The Blueray player and Cable are directly connected to the TV into HDMI inputs 1 and 2, respectively. I have used a digital coax cable to get the audio from the blueray to the stereo and the optic cable to get the sound from the Cable Box (Scientific Atlanta: 4250HDC) to the stereo. My issue is I can not get digital sound (DOLBY 5.1?) to the stereo from the cable service unless I switch the TV input to HDMI 1, and therefore I am not watching what I am listening to, and I can not get digital sound from the Blueray player no matter what input I select. Any suggestions? My only thought is that if you use an HDMI cable from your cable box or DVD player then the other outputs are not functional, but that would be silly.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I tried with effort to understand your post, but I cannot yet. Perhaps a little more detail?

Well, first of all, if the video connections are direct from source to display, and audio connections are direct from source to receiver, they should be independent of each other, and whatever selection is made on the display should have no bearing on receiver input selections. Right?

Secondly, perhaps there is an issue with assigning certain inputs that you want on the receiver?

Sorry for the feeble attempt at helping, but maybe this helps you get the thread rolling...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Did you go into the setup menu of the cable box and select the correct audio output? My SA has has Digital, HDMI and PCM as Audio Outputs. Make sure you have Digital selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalljaws /forum/post/15449619

I am having issues hooking up my stereo (Sony: STR-K840P) to my TV (Panny: 50PZ80U) and Blueray player (BDP S350) and have become baffled and irritated. The Blueray player and Cable are directly connected to the TV into HDMI inputs 1 and 2, respectively. I have used a digital coax cable to get the audio from the blueray to the stereo and the optic cable to get the sound from the Cable Box (Scientific Atlanta: 4250HDC) to the stereo. My issue is I can not get digital sound (DOLBY 5.1?) to the stereo from the cable service unless I switch the TV input to HDMI 1, and therefore I am not watching what I am listening to, and I can not get digital sound from the Blueray player no matter what input I select. Any suggestions? My only thought is that if you use an HDMI cable from your cable box or DVD player then the other outputs are not functional, but that would be silly.

Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
You need to change the settings in the cable box so that it outputs over the optical cable, it is defaulting the audio to HDMI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts