AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kuro in the new Home Theater Mag Feb 09 shoot out won hands down. They preferred (as well as the new Sound and Vision) the XBR8 over the 950. The best bang for you buck? The Panny.

Kuro also just won the Product of the Year in S&V.

Some Quotes:

"Ranking the Sony and Panny in the second and third spots were more problematic - Each had strength's and weaknesses. That made it a toss up for me in terms of performance" If money weren't an object, I'd go for the pioneer. If budgets were tight, I'd go with the Panny. The LCDs were both impressive, but neither one beat the Pioneer.

"Overall, the Pionner Plasma outperformed all others. The TV's depper black levels, truer gradations of color, and excellent handling of standard def content, set it above the rest.

"The Pioneer looked great on pretty much everything. I want one! One of my TVs is a well calibrated rear pro CRT, so I'm pretty well aquainted with deep blacks. The pioneer satisfied me and then some, thanks to it's fantastic detail".

"It's not surprising that the Pio came out on top for me. You simply can't trip it up. Every set here had flaws that could be drawn out consistently with certain types of program material, except the pioneer."

"The Panny was the underdog being compared with TVs that were twice and almost three times it 2500 price tag. It's performance was only slightly off the level of the other TVs".

They all were in love with the Sony XBR8 saying it produced fantastic black levels and the same par with the Kuro.

Sony XBR8

Rich blacks and fine shadow detail, superb resolution, minor video processing issues, poor off-axis viewining

Pioneer Elite

Blacks, Blacks, Blacks. Accurate color, crisp resolution, consistent with all programming material, video processing short of the best

Samsung 950

Good blacks, color, and resolution, superior video processing, poor off-axis performance

Panny 800U

THX certfied, good color and impressive detail, at it's best with 1080p source

I'm not sure why they didn't use the Panny 850u which is much more tweakable

This is what I would buy.

Kuro

Panny

XBR8

Samsung 950

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Now let's do the same with a reality check: $2000 limit. If there is no price limit, why not include professional studio gear?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Odd they'd include an 800U in the shootout and not a 5020/6020 with the pricing similarities.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Would have been cool if they'd added the Sharp XS1 to the mix.

Is this shootout available online, or is it print only?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Should be online in a few weeks, they keep some exclusives in print for a while.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
No surprise who came out on top. Most of those that have done the actual comparisons came to the exact same conclusion.

Personally, I think it should look like this.

Kuro

850U

800U

XBR8

and this is how it should look soon:

Kuro

Neo-PDP's

xbr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15547788

Now let's do the same with a reality check: $2000 limit. If there is no price limit, why not include professional studio gear?

This comparison was about performance not price.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/15550933

No surprise who came out on top. Most of those that have done the actual comparisons came to the exact same conclusion.

Kuro

850U

800U

XBR8

Kuro

Neo-PDP's

xbr8

I agree with you 1000%!!!!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I have spent extensive time with every consumer display currently available.

The Kuro (in any form) is the finest by a sizeable margin.

I own an XBR.

James

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/15551833

I have spent extensive time with every consumer display currently available.

The Kuro (in any form) is the finest by a sizeable margin.

I own an XBR.

James

Same conclusion for me as well, and I too own an XBR.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/15550933

Kuro

850U

800U

XBR8

Kuro

Neo-PDP's

xbr8

My eyes put the XBR8 above the 800, although there's no arguing which offers the most bang for buck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Cool. This was the exact set of panels I wanted to see included in a shootout. You've got the top 2 plasma makers and the top 2 lcd makers, at least on reputation.

So for those of you who said the Kuro the best and yet own an XBR, why? The XBR8 is not exactly an inexpensive set.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter /forum/post/15553938

Cool. This was the exact set of panels I wanted to see included in a shootout. You've got the top 2 plasma makers and the top 2 lcd makers, at least on reputation.

So for those of you who said the Kuro the best and yet own an XBR, why? The XBR8 is not exactly an inexpensive set.

Probably because they don't own a XBR8 and instead own a model in the XBR series. This is to prevent people of accusing them from being Pioneer fanboys, which seems to happen a lot.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter /forum/post/15553938

As far as LCD is concerned, the expensive Sharp XS1 is regarded as better.

Quote:

I'm guessing because some usage situations favour LCDs over plasmas.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15547788

Professional studio gear isn't something that you can go down to the local showroom and demo as it appears they were looking to test the best available panels to the consumer and the ones they chose for the most part seem realistic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts