AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain (or point me somewhere that does) when I should use: Coaxial Digital Audio, Digital Optical, Composite video/RCA , S-video or Component cables.

I understand that from DVD to TV, Component cables are preferred.

My Receiver has choices for using digital optical, coaxial optical, as does the DVD player. Which should I choose for best quality?

Also, is it better for VIDEO connections (like from DVD, VCR, TiVO, etc) to go directly into the TV (my TV has many connection jacks on the back), or should they go first through the receiver, then to the TV

I appologize if this is so vague and rambling. I'm actually pretty tech-savvy, but I can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
In my opinion it's always better to go directly to the TV from any source. If you want to use the receiver as a switching device then you have to run through there first.

If your DVD player has component connections then use those. S-Video is just one step below component, so it's not a bad thing if you must use it.

There will always be a debate as to which is better Optical or Coax digital audio. Coax cable is generally more durable and optical is immune from electrical interference. Personally I use coax from my DVD to my receiver and optical from my PS2 to my receiver. Either one is fine and you'd probably never know the difference.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.