AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a few months, and my new home is almost complete. I will have a semi dedicated room with 80% light control. it measures 16'9"X17'. I have had my builder pre wire most of my speakers and place electrical outlets where i thought I would need them for my room. I am looking for some advice as far as cost effective, yet decent gear. I have been drawn to the Panasonic AE3000U, and the new BenQ W6000, both comparable in price, but i just dont know what direction to go in. I found an onkyo system S9100THX 7.1. Its kinda like a theatre in a box, but with really good reviews so far and it looks like a good starting point for a first timer like me. Now the screen is somewhere i am having the most confusion on. With the light pretty much controlled and the room dimensions, i think i may be able to get away with a 120" screen, but might be drown out and too much for the room. I am just stressing out a little bit, the house is almost done and I would like to have this room up and functional asap. From what i have read this forum is packed with industry pros and home theatre diy'ers with much more knowledge than i do. Please help me make some decisions on my final purchases and make this room something i can be proud of. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Take a breath.

Relax.

The better outcome will come from a little bit of patience, some research, and smart purchases. Starting with not purchasing a HTIB. Give us an idea of your budget for just the audio part and let's see if we can't get you into something a little more flexible than that.

Don't get me wrong, HTIBs have their place, but since you are starting from scratch here and have the room pre-wired and this sounds like a potential sweet setup...let's do it right.

Take another breath.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JP,

haha thanks for the kind words of encouragement. My budget will be pretty tight around 1000$ for my reciever/speaker set up. room is wired for 7.1 and the onkyo is not really a "htib" it is full size speakers matched and tuned accordingly. it is THX certified and lots of good stuff about the AVR, good upconvert, hdmi switching stuff like that. I guess i could have been a little more specific on that. as for the rest of the room, i would like to stay within the 2500$ range for my PJ, as for the screen I HAVE NO IDEA!!! That is my most problematic piece to this puzzle. Thanks again

·
Registered
635 Posts
That's my bad too, I probably could have looked it up before making assumptions. After taking a look, that looks like a very capable receiver, with plenty of HDMI (and other) inputs. Looks good to me.

Your budget sounds on track for both. Depending on the deal you get on the projo will determine what you can do on the screen. Have you thought about one of the DIY options for a screen?

I would still slow down a bit and get some of the equipment in there before just buying it all. For instance, it would be nice to have the projo in there where you are putting it and THEN figure out the screen (size, location, dimensions, etc...).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Craig. I didn't realize that i didnt put any of that info on my profile. Should be fixed now- I am in Tulsa, Ok. Thanks as well for the suggestions on the other equipment. I am familiar with the items you listed, but haven't done a whole bunch of researh on them though. I will have to do that tonight when I get off work. Thanks again for all the help guys, I can't wait for this room to be done it will be great!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
BTW - It may be too late, but if you can run a power inlet to your projector location, that will allow for your projector to be protected by your power center or surge protector. Just have them run a regular 12/2 power wire from the projector plug to wherever you plan on having your equipment. Then search monoprice.com for the power inlet and order. If you know a little bit about wiring, you can wire up the 2 ends no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my PJ will actually be cieling mounted in the back of my room right next to where my rack will sit. I had the builder bascially put two closets with out doors in the back of the room with power at different levels so my rack will sit up higher and the PJ can actually tie in to the power conditioner and surge protection...well that is the plan anyway.

·
Registered
635 Posts
But you would still end up with a power cord exposed, running along the ceiling or wherever right? I guess if it's close enough and you paint it, or cover it with a track, it may not be a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Mares--I'm sort of in the same boat as you--first theater, looking heavily at the panny ae3000u, etc. About the screen though--I wasn't too sure what kind of figures to look at here either, but know that there is a huge range of options. The DIY options like using screen paint, or buying the raw materials and essentially making one can be good if you'd like to free up some change for other portions like jp mentioned. On the other hand, you can have a finished beauty delivered to you. I chose a bit of the middle ground, and found a company (Carada) with solid reviews, a range of products and options, and not too expensive. It does require a little assembly, but seems easy.

Surround pieces have been my troubling factor...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link Hilton, I have actually looked at Carada and was eqaually impressed. I guess the final verdict will weigh pretty heavily on how much money my PJ and my audio gear costs. I am also glad that I am not the only one in this boat. When i told the boss (wife) i wanted to build a media/theatre room in the new house she told me i was biting off a little more than i could chew. It looks like there is hope though...with all the help i have recieved on here i am pretty pumped for this project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.