AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing my research for some home theatre purchases and am looking for some advice. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so I am doomed to purchase online or via the phone. I want to purchase a projector and screen, and am narrowing down the field. What I am wondering, is if there are any Canadians out there who have some stories (good AND bad) about dealing with retailers in Canada. Stuff like good experiences, bad ones, favorable exchange policies, etc..

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mike,

PM me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

your certainly starting off in the right place. I guess the basic idea applies read, read some more, and keep reading on this forum till you get an idea as to what you might be looking to accomplish and or purchase.

Your question is just general enough that it makes it difficult for anyone to really offer any concrete directions or stories.

Depending on what province your in. There are any number of CEDIA certified organizations that you would be able to get contact information for. And would encourage you to get in touch with them.

In regards to your posts and inquiries for buying things. Its always best to identify products of interest, budgets, concepts of what your looking to achieve, and most importantly details as to what the end objective is desired.

Note that you have also hit a fantastic organization in AVS which also sells products and hosts this forum. So you may want to try and get in contact with someone here. I have yet to buy anything from them but they are a very knowledgeable group that many have highly recommended.

Good Luck with your projects, and post back I have subscribed to your thread.

Cheers,

Requis

Its all about fun!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyMike
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so I am doomed to purchase online or via the phone.
MIke define "nowhere" - you have internet access so it can't be all that bad. I have seen posters from Whitehorse and other small towns. You'd be surprised what might be available within a two hour drive or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well an "hour or two" only gets me one community over and I've checked there..lol

I live at least 8 hours (summer driving) from a community big enough to have a serious home theatre store.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll take the advice and poke around a bit. I've decided to not purchase anything serious until I can find the time to get to a store personally to check out the technology. There are just too many variables to chance a multi-thousand dollar purchase to the internet.

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Actually if you do your homework on where you plan on buying and what you plan on buying online is as safe or safer than buying from a retail store. You don't have to leave your chair except to answer the door when UPS or FEDEX shows up with your purchase.

If your thinking of buying all your gear from EBAY then I would agree you will have to exercise more caution but typically even those transactions can be as smooth as silk, just look for the higher number of transactions with the highest percentage of postive comments back. And that will 99.9% provide true satisfaction, oh and make sure you read all of the description to understand what exactly it is your bidding on.

Requis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not so much the "buying online" part that has me pauseing.. it's the fact that I can't actually "see" what I'm buying. Do I buy a DLP projector and just hope that I am not one of the people succecptable to rainbows? There are just too many variables to risk it. Having cruised these forums a bit I am confident I can narrow my research to good solid products. My challange now is to physically get to a place to view them to finalize my decision.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.