AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just setting up my gaming/tv/audio stuff in the basement here. And could use some advice.

My goals in order of importance:
  1. Low input lag.
  2. Plug and play. I don't to have to change a bunch of settings, inputs, lags, using multiple remotes when I switch from watching cable tv to gaming.

My gear is as follows:
  • Sony w series TV
  • PS3 (will soon be PS4)
  • Gaming PC with HDMI out.
  • Cable TV box with HDMI out.
  • Old 5.1 reciever with single optical in.

I am willing to replace any peice of the setup to accomplish my goals.

The way I see it I have 3 options.

#1.

Hook all 3 devices to TV via HDMI.

Optical from HDMI to reciever.

To use it, I would have to set TV to correct input, would not have to mess with reciever.

#2.

Hook all 3 to reciever via HDMI.

HDMI from receiver to TV.

To use, would have to turn on reciever, and TV.

I would have to buy a new reciever.

Is there any advantage to going with #2? Are there any features in recievers that would make this the way to go? Don't a lot of recievers introduce input lag?

Advice please.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would go with option number 2. Wiring will be a little easier and it will sound much better with a new receiver. Then get a universal remote to handle all the on/off and switching. Logitec makes programming macros easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

·
Registered
212 Posts
Generally, when you pass through the audio from a TV, you lose the 5.1. It is downgraded to 2 channel.

You will also not have the HD audio formats with your old receiver.

You're gonna have to spring for a new receiver, plain and simple.

Ditto the above comment on the Harmony. You basically will have the same setup I have, and the Harmony makes it all transparent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a few concerns with #2.

1. Input lag. Will the video be lagged going through the receiver?

2. I can set different visual settings on the TV based on input. If all my feeds are essentially now on the same input (coming from reciever), I will now have to do this manually, unless I go the harmony route. But because of the Harmony not being state-aware, I generally find them to do the wrong thing half the time.

3. If I am using any of the built in apps on the TV, like Netflix, Crackle, NHL, etc, do I think run an audio cable from TV to reciever? I suppose i could just use TV speakers then, as there would be no surround anyway.

~S

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsquirrel  /t/1524175/home-theatre-setup#post_24527163

I have a few concerns with #2.

1. Input lag. Will the video be lagged going through the receiver?

2. I can set different visual settings on the TV based on input. If all my feeds are essentially now on the same input (coming from reciever), I will now have to do this manually, unless I go the harmony route. But because of the Harmony not being state-aware, I generally find them to do the wrong thing half the time.

3. If I am using any of the built in apps on the TV, like Netflix, Crackle, NHL, etc, do I think run an audio cable from TV to reciever? I suppose i could just use TV speakers then, as there would be no surround anyway.

~S

1. I run all my XB1, PS4 and PS3 through my receiver and do not notice any discernable lag.

2. This I am not sure of. I myself have my TV professionally calibrated and like using one setting for all my viewing so I do not change mine...I just leave it on my calibrated THX preset.

3. AFAIK you should be able to run a TOSLINK cable from your TV (if it has one) to your receiver to get the surround sound to work. (I stream from my consoles though so again I may be wrong on this).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good food for though. I do like to switch between theatre mode and game-mode.... but it seems having this happen automatically with a single input from reciever is unlikely, and I should give up on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was just at audio store. Sales guy is telling me that all the HDMI link stuff that allows the TV to turn off the ps4, etc will not work when I hook up receiver. Is this true with all receivers? He said that Sony amps are now are junk, and I had to fight to get him to show me the 840. Instead pushing the pioneer

Vsx43. I'll have to research those when I get home. Bit I hate a biased sales guy. Wont be buying anything there.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I think each AVR has different input lag numbers, just like each display does. Something to be aware of. A long time ago I determined my particular AVR introduced too much lag no matter what settings I tried. I do think I should go back and do some more confirming, but I usually prefer to game with a headset, so it is not that big of a deal to me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't worry about lag so much. Also as already stated you may loose the 5.1 / 7.1 surround when doing optical out from the TV, and when playing FPS's that is a big advantage to have true 5.7 / 7.1 (you know where your enemies are coming from).

As far a Sony receivers go....I would steer clear from the regular line and look at the ES line if your a Sony fan. Pioneer Elite is good stuff, receiver choice is always a hot subject lol.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Audio and video pass on the same HDMI cable, so they generally are synced pretty good.

When you bypass the audio out, receivers usually have a feature called "lip sync correct" where you can adjust the lag audio wise.

My Motorola cable box remote is capable of turning "everything on". Just hold the power button for 5 secs and it powers all the devices on/off.

Also keep in mind, like Smart TVs of the last couple years, receivers have really blossomed too.

They have built in Pandora and internet radio and hook up to Airplay on your ipods, etc.

Cool Stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks for all the advice.

I think I will end up going with a yamaha amp the RX-V675, simply because of the others at it's level (Onkyo NR626, Onkyo RC560, Pioneer VSX-43, Sony DN 840, HK avr 1710, ) I can get it for the cheapest locally. So hopefully the yamaha remote will play nice with it. Sales guy will throw in the blue tooth module for the 675 to put it on par with the others wireless-feature wise, actually above, because it is apt-x. Actually I could get the RC560 for same deal, but reports of HDMI issues have me worried.

A few things I learned from the 10 stores I hit yesterday is:

1. ARC will make things better than I hoped for when used my TV apps.

2. I am unlikely to use many of the apps as they are either not in Canada (i.e., spotify, pandora, etc), or will just work better coming from PS3/PS4.

3. I was hoping something like CEC would eliminate the need for a harmony remote, but it sounds like CEC is hit or miss. I was also told by all sales guy that CEC should be brand agnostic, which I knew was the theory, but I figure sony-sony-sony might have been better than sony-yamaha-sony.

4. All the mobile apps are iOS and Android only. Oh, well most Android apps run just fine on my Blackberry z30, but I'll double check..

Cheers,

~S

1 - 12 of 12 Posts