AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been on the route to buy a Bose Lifestyle system until I read a thread on this website where the general consensus seemed to be that the Bose systems are overpriced compared to other setups of the same or better quality.

I am new to the world of Home Theatres and am lost in the huge amount of information. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a setup in place of a Bose Lifestyle system.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Just do a search on Bose and you will find a ton of threads, most with recomendations for substitute items

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guess some basic things need to be established before anyone can recommend a system for you:

1. Why the Bose? What made you go that route first? Was it the size, simplicity, was it the brand name? Was it the wife influence? I'm not knocking you nor Bose? Just wondering if there's an important element that will influence the buying decision that made you look at Bose first. For some, Bose is the right choice, not for others.

2. What size is your room?

3. What percentage usage for movies vs music?

4. What are system size limitations?

5. What are wife/girlfriend limitations?

6. Do you have a personal preference towards types of speakers, i.e. towers, bookshelf sized, satellites, etc?

7. What is the maximum budget?

8. Any constraints due to the room layout?

9. Do you prefer one type of sound vs another? I.E. Warm (meaning more prominent highs, perhaps smoother, neutral), bright (prominent highs, sometimes too high, etc). This just helps in identifying which speakers you may not like. I.E. I love Klipsch speakers because of their horn tweeters, something some other people hate because they can't stand the bright sound.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) I was thinking Bose for a number of reasons.

One reason was for the brand recognition; another is because I’m familiar with the system, and because I like the looks of the system, as well as discrete small speakers.

One other thing that attracted me to the Bose Lifestyle system was the ability to add other zones, so I can hook a bedroom or office to the same system and have it play on another zone.

2) The space is an open concept design, so its open to about 1000 sqft, but the space sectioned off for the living room where the system will be is roughly 20’x15’

3) It will be used a lot at a low volume for ambient music, but my main reason for getting this system is for movies.

4) I’m not sure what’s meant by system size?

5) The fiancée could care less!

6) The room has already been pre-wired for satellite speakers, I would like them small and discreet.

7) I would like to spend approx $1500 - $2000CAD on a system.

8) Aside from the Room being pre-wired for satellite speakers, I don’t see any other constraints.

9) I’m not quite sure what sound type I’m looking for.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, there are a couple of things to consider:

Lifestyle Pros:

Small

Sleek

Decent sound (not as good for the price as you could do elsewhere)

Simple to use

Easy multi-zoning

Cons

Sound quality compromised

Powered Bass Module doesn't go as deep as dedicated sub

No midrange drivers, so you're missing (literally) part of the musical spectrum

Limited connectivity/upgradability for the future

You could look at going with a seperate receiver and dvd player. Some of the receivers in your price range ($500 cad) might have dual sourcing capability. More importantly, your receiver will have flexibility and features the lifestyle will not:

More power

More surround (6.1 or 7.1)

Seperate channel controls for each channel

Pre-outs (if you ever want to add a dedicated seperate amp in the future)

More inputs / outputs

Ability to use virtually any speakers vs. proprietary ones

Universal remote (perhaps)

With speakers, the choices are endless. You narrow the list significantly though since you want small out of sight ones. Orb satellites are highly recommended around here, though I've never heard them. Some other speakers that are small and might fit the bill:

Mirage omnistats

Klipsch Reference Cinema system

SVS-01 speaker system

There are dozens more out there that you can look at.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the help is much appreciated. That sounds like a good starting point for my research.

\\ :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
A little over a year ago I was on a tour of the Boston Acoustics factory and they demoed their Avidea system (similar to Bose Lifestyle) and I was impressed. The speakers are a bit larger than the Bose cubes, but they actually have tweeters so they sound much better. The system also comes with a decent subwoofer rather than the awful Bose bass module. I remember the remote being easy to use as well.

So it was not quite as slick and compact as a Bose Lifestyle system, but it certainly sounded better and didn't take up much more space. Do a search for "avidea" and see what comes up here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.