AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm a definite newbie to projectors and to this site (as this is my first post), but I've been checking this site for a couple weeks now, and I've been hearing a lot about the HS2/10, AE200/300, and the Z1. I'm interested in using an HTPC to play DVDs, MP3s, and handle scaling and deinterlacing of analog video material, and I was wondering why one of these so-called "home theatre" projectors are always mentioned, but never projectors that are meant for conference rooms that have regular SVGA and XGA resolutions? I mean, the way I see it, a computer will do the scaling of material better than any technology built into the projector (not to mention that the algorithms can change/improce on a PC and not a PJ), and I hear that you'll get better quality for DVDs from an HTPC than you will on most progressive scan DVDs players. So ... maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't a non home-theatre projector be best for me? I guess the one downfall is that I wouldn't be able to play HD content from a video game system on this PJ, but I'm sure some piece of HW will come out (if there isn't soemthing already) for the PC that'll take in component video and allow it to be displayed at whatever the native computer resolution is. Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you checked out the Home Theatre Computers forum? I think there are two factors to consider here. Your fondness for "Tweaking" is a virtual necessity for a HTPC and also the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Making it as seamless as possible for the other viewers is achievable but takes a lot of work. Far easier for them to switch the power on Projector and DVD set top box and hit "play".

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a few more variables to consider in what marks the difference between home theater and business projector.

Take for example the white segment on a DLP projector's color wheel. No matter how good the video scaling is on your HTPC or the projector, if it won't let you disable (or at least reduce the effect of) the white segment, then it will have terrible blooming (bright white areas) when showing video.

I don't pay attention to whether a projector is officially classified as "business" or "home theater". I just read the posts here to find out how each projector does for video regardless of it's official classification.

The HP XB31 I remember had a menu that would allow you to control the white segment (on a 10-point scale?). And there was some speculation, but nothing definite, that the Infocus LP500 will automatically disable the white segment through the S-video connection but NOT through the VGA connection.

So to answer your question, SOME conference room projectors CAN be great for HT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies.

Richard, as far as not have the ease of use that a stand-alone DVD player would afford me, I think that I could easily live without it in exchange for a higher quality product at a cheaper price. I figure, once I start the movie, I can just sit back for the next 2 hours, and not worry about a thing.

Tracy, I'm not quite familiar with this white segment problem on DLP projectors. However, I've been looking into getting an LCD projector (not sure which models, but something with 1024x768 resolution would be nice); I'm guessing there isn't an issue with the white segment on LCD projectors, is there?

I suppose the next logical question is: do you have any recommendations for a good, sub-$2000, LCD projector with 1024x768 resolution designed for a conference room?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracyInCary
The HP XB31 I remember had a menu that would allow you to control the white segment (on a 10-point scale?).
The "image optimization" slider in the main menu (in all but the

earliest firmware releases) and the "white peaking" slider in the

service menu of the sb21 and xb31 do indeed regulate the use

of the white segment on a 10 point scale (none to max).

And the default setting is raise or lowered based on what input

you're using. VESA input tends to be computer (PowerPoint), so

10 is used. S-video tends to be video, so a low number is used.

--xb31

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Whether the projector is a "business" or "home theater" projector isnt' relevent to the HTPC. Many people (including myself) use Home theater projectors fed by a PC.

I just built a Shuttle SS51G with 1.7Celeron, 256Mb, 80Gb WD HD, ATI 9000 PRO and Theatertek 1.5 DVD software. It blows away my previous Progressive Scan RP56 DVD player and Component->RGB transcoder setup.

There already is a board that accepts component. Immersive Holo3d card. I think for the money a $40 Xcapture card with S-Video input gets you 98% of the way there for substantially less money.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...o/h3dgraph.asp

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose that my main concern is the 1:1 pixel mapping that everyone seems so interested in, and I can understand why. I hear that it's easy to get 1:1 mapping on the Sanyo PLV-Z1, however I hear problems with noise (and others that Li On have mentioned). Then there's the home theater projector that I was interested in, the AE300, with which no one has been able to get the pixel mapping correct on ... and there's some question as to whether or not it'll ever happen. I haven't seen side-by-side comparisons of the image quality through an HTPC when there is 1:1 pixel mapping and when there isn't, but I'm guessing the difference is significant, because without it, it'll do pixel blurring like when you try to use an LCD monitor and an un-optimal resolution ... which can get pretty ugly, in my opinion.

JPinTO, any complaints about the HTPC + AE100 combo? If not, I might consider getting the AE300.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yes, you need to get 1:1 mapping with any projector to get the benefits of a HTPC. Without it, the projectors internal scaler will kick in introducing all sorts of unwanted results.

Most AE100 owners have been satisfied with a RP56 not feeling that it was worth the effort to go to a HTPC. I know I've done head to head comparisons of RP56+transcoder vs PC+WinDVD... and they were pretty darn close in Picture quality on the AE100.

The AE100 is a bottom end projector, but the HTPC with Theatertek software yields a phenomenal picture... significantly better than ATI DVD player or WinDVD.

I just rewatched (for the 100th time) Charlie's angels on my HTPC and the skin tones are incredibly smooth and realistic and the colors just *POP*. Even my wife noticed the improvement over a RP56. She walks in on the last chapter of the beach scene and just said "wow-- that looks great!".

But I digress... every projector has issues with it. If there was a perfect solution, then this forum would not be needed. The AE100 has horrible banding and marginal screendoor issues. The AE300 reportedly has solved the screendoor problems and the vertical banding.

It's still a relatively low res picture and my next projector will solve the AE100's problems AND have much more lumen and high res for PC gaming. The HS10 might be that projector. Try surfing the web on 856x480 when you are used to desktop monitor running 1280x1024. Not nice!

- JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.