AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an epia 800 MB and i have been looking at a 1u case for a carputer and or HTPC ill prob get a epia-m and use it for a htpc and I like this homemade case http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/blueplate/ doesnt seem to hard.. instead of using the dvd drive like they did maybe a slot load dvd drive.. one day more manuf will jump on the mini-itx band wagon and build this formfactor.. maybe a zif socket for a faster proc.. anyway back to the case.. anyone know of a pci riser that is flexable rather then board based??would be nice to get these things on ribon cables so you can mount them in a shorter case and horizontal inline???

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I have started the process of building my own case using the mentioned thread as a guide.. I am building my first case for my carputer with this i will work out the little kinks i will most likely run into before i build my HTPC case..

I used poster board to lay out the placement of the mobo power supply and hard drive. fits in a pretty tight neat order..

after i laid the parts out and got the size for the base i added 1" on each front and sides to use as lips for the cover the rear i left 5" even though i know i will only be going no more then 3" tall.. i will trim that down after i get me a cutting mat and roller cutter so i can cut it out and then mock up the case for size again making sure everything will work..

next I will find me some 16ga sheet metal or alum the size of the overall unfolded mockup. then i will lay out the lines and bend the base.. I will use plexyglass for the mobo and power supply as an insulater since i have a bunch of 1/16" from work.. need to pick up a couple new blades and stones for my dremil also oh and i am thinking about getting a dremil drill press kit.. depends on weather or not how deep the thing will let me work. if need be i will just drill the inlet holes by hand.. then i will have to find a way of fitting a filter for the case.. I hate when i open my case and i have so much dust and dirt.. and with this being in the car it will only be that much worse..

keep tuned and let me know what you think of my ideas..

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Stunning... For a carputer....

Lack of full height PCI makes full HTPC hard but none the less... eye candy !!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm glad to see some others have interest in this! I have been giving this some thought lately, especially after putting my Asus Nforce based system together. I have always been disappointed with the waste of space inside most cases. I would like a case that would fit a mini-ATX board with room for a DVD drive and PS. That's all I need right now. Most consumer cases are overkill for my purposes.

I do like the look of that small, although limiting, case. I will post if I put something together.

f4

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well ful height pci cards can be taken care of with a riser card.. I havent seen anything that will be as short as can be as well as something that will be able to be shown.. and for the cost to buy one you can build 5 maybe 10 with the cost of some cases..

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A case like this could be an excellent base for an HTPC controller (just one firewire drive, a VFD display, a few buttons for VFD menu navigation), leaving the heavy duty and noisy equipment in a closet... I'd like to see such product in a slick enclosure...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well when i goto build the htpc ill use a uatx mobo.. ill use some big fans at low voltage to drop the noise level.. im considering using a color screen from a car cd player if i can locate someone using them or find someone who knows how ro make one work ;-)what i would like to use is a a mobo that has doc capabilities and boot the doc as a first choice and only load an audio player or dvd player.. and think if i can find someone who can do that in embeded xp that would be sweet.. but for now the case is what i am working on haha..

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hunter
That is a pretty sweet form factor. Although it looks like it would be fun to build, I would actually rather "buy". Have you ever seen a similar case available for sale?
Frys is currently selling a black mini ITX case nearly identical to your picture with an external powersupply for less than 50.00. I sort of wanted one but wasnt sure exactly what to do with it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fifty bucks? well shoot going to have to go get one.. cause that would work out better for the carputer since it will need 12v in i think.. if this is the case then i can wire it directly into the car.. well a second batt that will allow it to keep it powered up..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pen25
fifty bucks? well shoot going to have to go get one.. cause that would work out better for the carputer since it will need 12v in i think.. if this is the case then i can wire it directly into the car.. well a second batt that will allow it to keep it powered up..
You'll find that case requires a regulated 12v supply, whereas the power in your car is unregulated.

A better place to be discussing installation of CarPC's is at http://www.mp3car.com. There's an active forum of people who are doing or have done what you are planning.

C!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually that is where i got my idea for building a carputer.. and well my reason for starting this thread was to maybe share ideas on building our own case instead of spending 400 bucks on a case.. so actually this does fit here. the idea originated with the idea of building an htpc case like the pic listed.. now i have a mini-itx board that i am going to use in the car..

yes the case needs a regulated 12volts.. not hard to build a box that will supply 12volts regulated.. least allot easier then building a whole power supply dont ya think?? anyway have you built your own case?? or have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought the case in dallas wed but it wasnt under 50 bucks.. its the 2677 by morbix and its minitx is how it is listed on the box.. I searched online and couldnt find it tuesday night and since i was only a couple hours away i ran down to dallas.. anyway the case has been reviewed at www.mini-itx.com and goto the hardware section and scroll down till you find the 2677

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.