AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone working on self made apps for their HTPC. I'm interested in what other guys are making.

I've been in the middle of making a pretty front end for selecting DVDs to stream/watch with VLC. Just made some big headway and wanted to share some of my progress.

It's client/server based. The server runs on whatever machine your DVDs are stored. It looks for all folders VIDEO_TS subfolders in a DVD SERVER directory on the root of all your drives. It sends disc name, location, description, and image name to the client which then displays the discs in a grid for you to select from. It's pretty much seamless on an 802.11b network. It should work over the internet as well, albeit slower.

Once you select a movie to watch, the server starts up VLC in streaming mode and the client starts up VLC to open the network stream.

Another side project for this I built was an importer to pull description info from Amazon and posters from another source or Amazon if it can't find an actual poster.

Both items are in Java so it should work on any system thats capable of running VLC.

I'm about 1/100th of the way through putting my DVD collection on hard disk. This may take more time than actual development

·
Registered
268 Posts
Screen shots?

Skinnable?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the long wait.

It's not skinnable and I actually changed the direction significantly and moved away from VNC, although VNC still works within the confines of the system.

Moved the previously mentioned items to an web based interface, so it could be controlled remotely from basically any modern web browser, incuding iPhones and tablet based browsers.

Some pics below. Interface is nowhere near finalized, but the basic workings, work great.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi kaze0,

Is there a reason why you don't contribute your skills and hard work to an existing open source frontend like MeediOS, MediaPortal, etc.? They may already have some of the code you need (cover lookup) already down pat that you could use, but at the same time you could supply the project with your own unique wants. You're free to do whatever you want to do...I was just curious of your motivation.

Good luck!

jawgee

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A combination of ignorance and laziness. I wasn't aware of some of the open source applications close enough to my end goal. And I felt like it's easier to throw something together quickly to accomplish my goal than to learn the architecture of an existing system and make contributions that would fit into that architecture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is interesting. I am planning on building an HTPC later this year and I am also going to write a frontend to let me select and play ripped DVDs from my collection.

Quote:
Another side project for this I built was an importer to pull description info from Amazon and posters from another source or Amazon if it can't find an actual poster.

I use DVDProfiler to catalog my DVD collection, and I will be using the DVDProfiler database to provide info/cover scans. The DVDProfiler database on my PC is binary, but DVDProfiler lets you export it to an XML file, so I will get my data from that. DVDProfiler also stores cover scans on my hard drive so I can link to them.

DVDProfiler assigns every DVD a unique ID, and I will include this ID in the folder name for each DVD, so my frontend can use this to access the database info and the cover scans.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding /forum/post/14400228

This is interesting. I am planning on building an HTPC later this year and I am also going to write a frontend to let me select and play ripped DVDs from my collection.

I use DVDProfiler to catalog my DVD collection, and I will be using the DVDProfiler database to provide info/cover scans. The DVDProfiler database on my PC is binary, but DVDProfiler lets you export it to an XML file, so I will get my data from that. DVDProfiler also stores cover scans on my hard drive so I can link to them.

DVDProfiler assigns every DVD a unique ID, and I will include this ID in the folder name for each DVD, so my frontend can use this to access the database info and the cover scans.

sounds a lot like MyMovies

maybe you can write a front end that does some of the things users for that want but the developer has decided not to do.

I know he's also opened access to his database for lookups for other projects as well in some form.

might look to it to see if it meets your needs for backend better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Meedio can import XML data and display all kinds of movie data and pics using the MovieNight or My Movies plugins. I'm pretty sure MediaPortal can do this as well along with other apps. In Meedio, you can play your video/DVD using its internal Directshow player or tell it to use any video player of your choice. I know that the Meedio plugin devs are open to suggestions on adding additional features to their plugins...or, you can create your own plugin(s).

Other than just for learning or entertainment value, I don't see why anyone would want to create their own frontend just to play DVDs when so many existing open source & non-open source frontends perform this function quite well. But then again, I'm not a developer.

Thanks,

jawgee

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding /forum/post/14400228

The DVDProfiler database on my PC is binary, but DVDProfiler lets you export it to an XML file, so I will get my data from that. DVDProfiler also stores cover scans on my hard drive so I can link to them.

Just in case you aren't aware, there are several front ends that do this. Xlobby supports DVDProfiler xml files. It searches the movie directories, that you supply, and matches the folder names up with the movie titles in the exported dvdprofiler xml file. I really like this feature because I don't have to tell any program exactly where each individual movie is. Makes it easy if I ever move my movies to a different folder or drive. Nor do I have to put any special file in each movie's directory to tell it where to look for the cover art, profile, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts