AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a 42" NEC (PX-42M3A) plasma and planning for it's installation in my family room.

The plasma TV will be going in front of a gas fireplace (which won't be used while the TV is there :)) and may be hung from the mantle... the problem is that we WILL want to use the fireplace (and just move the TV when not in use) so I'm probably going to be making some sort of homebrew solution that will allow me to move the 100 lb TV from the mantle to a few feet to the side of the mantle. Some sort of track to glide it on, or maybe a small jointed arm.

Just curious if anyone out there has made their own plasma mount or stand or anything.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You might try something like this , or this . I could imagine some sort of stand with casters, for example.

- Ken

·
Registered
469 Posts
Randy: Why bother; many Plasma mounts are around $200.00 (dealer cost). Not worth the effort. I do remember, however seeing a really cool motorized plasma mount at the recent CEDIA Show that changes positions between being used, and not being used. If you want to know more about it, I'm sure I could go through my literature and find the company.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Randyl712 -

Interesting idea, I have access to various hardware suppliers since I make custom furniture for a living. I will send you a PM with my number, and depending on your layout we might could find some applicable hardware. The trick is to make it heavy duty enough and look tasteful.

Electric lifts are not cheap, and it sounds like you would rather swing sideways anyway.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking to go the cheap (read: homemade) route, rather than pay $200-400 for a mount or stand. At least at this point :)

I've heard from another owner that the back has screw holes to mount to, I'll probably try devising something that uses those.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the plasma came, and the plasma went! I bought a used unit and fortunately had it shipped COD (by frieght company). Well, the buttons were getting stuck in the unit as I pressed them, and the VGA input gave nothing but garbage and static. So I refused shipment. It'll cost me a negative feedback on EBAY I'm sure but at least I'm not out $2k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.