AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is a picture of my latest hacked together remote controlled 3D wildlife camera.

Naturally the picture has to be in 3D also.

Before the snow hit recently I kept this rig outside and controlled it from everything from my Iphone to my 82" Mitsubishi 3DTV.

I was once controlling it from my Ipad in a restaurant with my anaglyph glasses on and a crowd gathered around to see it.

So far I've recorded over six terabytes of 3D video with it.

The vast majority of it is useless but occasionally it catches something really interesting.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328
You gonna upload some of the vids?
I don't know if I should.

It might not be "Proper 3D Content"

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328
You gonna upload some of the vids?
Here is a short clip from the camera that I slowed down.

It violates every 3D rule in the book I am sure.

I am able to play with the convergence of the cameras while viewing the live video remotely and in this particular case I had toed in the cameras too much.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/squirrelquarrel.ts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha
That thing (those things?) is cool. Next I bet you add some motion detector to turn on the rig only when something out there moves.
He did that on another setup he had. Frank is the man!!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very impressive DIY, I like the servo to move the cameras, very neat men!!! I saw the squirrels one, and was pretty good. I am downloading the other two now. I wish i had a couple of cameras two play around with. I love to diy stuff too.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have started work on another 3D dual camera rig that is much more complicated to build.

It consists of two Canon HF-21's, a beam splitting mirror, dual camera LANC controller and a servo to move both cameras toward and away from a common center.

I will be able to adjust the interaxial distance between zero and 2.5 inches.

Hope to have it finished before spring.

I am currently uploading another video.

Looks like another 5 hours to go.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a longer unedited video from my backyard.

All these videos are shot with a shutter speed of one thousandth of a second with virtually no motion blur(unlike those 3D BluRay movies).

This means that you can pause the video and it remains quite sharp. Try that with a Bluray Movie, especially when there is motion.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7350380/10-18-10-17.ts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts