Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan-

80"x18" shelves ether 2 stack or 3.....made from the following,

wood:)80x18

threaded rod

black PVC...

this will house all my gear,

MC-1

and 3 citation amps+the rest.......shelves will sit 8 to 8 1/2 apart,open on all sides...

instead of painting them black,id like to rap the shelving with black velvet????just not sure how the velvet will react with the heat of my gear???

will this be OK,id rather NOT paint,

thanks-

Tommy

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Tommy-

I think you'd be fine as long as you maintain enough airflow clearance. That said, remember it will be difficult to slide your components if you need to adjust their location on each shelf. Also, if they get dusty, they'll be harder to clean.

If you do decide to do it, You can attach the velvet with a coat of 3M spray adhesive.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve

H'm good points,

i really don`t however see another way,i think paint eventually will scratch...

thanks-

Timmy

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You can use Black laminate like is used on the Sauder furniture kits. Just cut it to size and glue it on with spray adhesive. Or, if you can find it, black contact paper.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Black Melamine with iron on black melamine edge banding. Cheapest - easiest and most durable (next to plastic laminate).

Bruce

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Black Melamine with iron on black melamine edge banding. Cheapest - easiest and most durable (next to plastic laminate).

Bruce
where would i find such a product,HomeDepot??????

ts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Tommy-

No HD only carries white as far as I know.

You will need to find a local Hardwood or Plywood supplier, that carries hardwood veneered plywoods as well and services the cabinet industry. Depending on where you live, some of the plastic laminate suppliers carry it also, such as Nevamar. Check your yellow pages under 'hardwoods' - 'plywoods' - etc., In my area there are places like Paxton's, Central Hardwoods, Austin Hardwoods, as well as the major plywood distributors.

Some of these outfits may only sale wholesale, so you may need to find one that caters to the 'Hobbyist'. Or else just set up a COD account. If they carry Melamine they will more than likely carry the edge-banding, as well.

If you have trouble finding a source, see if there is a 'Woodworking Club' in your area and contact them for where they get their stuff. Most of these clubs are heavily populated with other "Weekend Warriors".

Good luck,

Bruce

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Here's a stupid question, but when I try to call someone to see if they carry Melamine, how is it pronounced?

Mel-a-mine

Mel-a-men

Mel-a-man

Something different?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.