Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HomeMedia v1.0

Fully Functional Home Multimedia Control Software.

Functions:

Cusomized "MyPage" with daily news, sports, weather, stocks, etc..

MP3 Player with Graphical Controls, Album Cover Display, Playlists, etc..

Home Automation. The application will interface with All major X10 objects.

DVD Player, DScaler?, YxY?. It will be made customizable to interface with Projectors.

TV Tuner

CD Burner allowing you to burn a mix of mp3's from your selection.

Plus many more modules.

The entire application will be web based, so you can control it from anywhere in the world.

Interface:

The application will be designed with a 15" LCD interface in mind. There will be an onboard keyboard for doing music searches. The idea is that the LCD would be mounted flush in the wall and you could control everything with a touch. There will also be two versions of the interface (Novice and Advanced). Our intentions are that we want an interface that guests can use without getting too technical (ex. playing music). The Advanced version of the interface would be geared to the HT geeks.

Device:

The device will most likely be a Thin client connected to a HTPC Server. This will drive the price down, although one could just use the HTPC for Server and Client.

What is developed so far:

We have written the MP3 engine, playlist engine, web engine so far. Next we will be working on the DVD aspect of the software. So far we have developed on the .NET platform, but most likely will port to Java also.

What Questions do we have?:

We need feedback on what other things you guys want/need in an application like this. Is there any interest in this software?

Thanks for all your Feedback,

ScAndal

·
Registered
366 Posts
make 2 versions. A net version and a non-net. My HTPC is not and will not ever be connected to the net. I worry a little about viruses and like keeping it bare. It has no cards in it other than vid and sound. No serial or parallel ports or usb. It never has crashed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RossE,

Just because its web based does not mean you need internet connection. You can install a web browser on any pc.

ScAndal

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sounds similar to the custom home control system I have been developing. My only difference is I have based mine on the HTPC as server/client with a Pronto/PocketPC/Palmpilot as the recommended multi-room solution (using simple IR tranceivers).

I have also decided to add support for RS-232 control of devices that support it, but as a home hobbyist most vendors are somewhat reluctant on providing the required protocol info. Still, I will add equipment as I purchase it, but really don't think a market exists for this product unless it becomes VERY affordable. The big guys like Panja and Crestron already have the high-priced market sewn up.

If others feel that this is a valid product, then maybe we could pool our resources? Let me know what you think...

PS: a wall mounted 15" LCD might be a little much for most home decorators to contend with. As an option sure, but I'ld recommend sticking with a 8, 10 or 12 inch screen.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was guessing that by the listing of my page sports news etc that it would be a web based prog. I use programs like dvd profiler and find it a pain that they are in part web based.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.