AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home owners association is complaining that my dish installation can be seen from the street. The dish is mounted on the side of my garage.

Can they force me to move it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You need to read the OTARD to decide that for your self.

In general - if their suggested location will not permit you to receive the signals you desire, you don't have to put your dish in that location.

So if putting your dish on the garage is the only location the dish will work from, you should be OK - but otherwise...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the unreasonable expense section. I'd have to buy mounting masts and all sorts to mount on the back of the garage or house.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Under $100 bucks - forget trying that one.

Besides, whoever said the dish must be ON the house / garage ? Putting it on a pole makes it easier to clear of ice and snow, if that's aa concern. Just get some buriable RG6 coax to go from the dish to where it enters the house.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting people in to dig a trench/bury cable would cost a fortune. Getting someone back in (dish was custom install not free via DirectTV) + pole etc would cost a fortune and move it from the house earth etc....

·
Registered
756 Posts
Going though the same thing now. In order to get the right view angle, I need to mount my dish on a mast located on my second floor balcony (I live on the 7th and 8th floor of an 8 story condo) There is nothing above my balcony and the mast will extend less than 12 feet above the roof line. I also wanted to mount a yagi on the same mast (pointed at the local repeater ~6 miles away) The association insisted that I couldn't do this.

As I read the FCC rules, as long as the dish, ham rig, OAR HD antenna, is located on property which I own and doesn't cause public health risk, and is necessary for reception, the FCC rules trump the association rules.

In any event, I'm doing it and it should be fun...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Point of correction - your ham gear is NOT covered by the OTARD - only antennas for the reception of video programming broadcasts are. So, your dish and your yagi for VHF/UHF are covered.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooper
Point of correction - your ham gear is NOT covered by the OTARD - only antennas for the reception of video programming broadcasts are. So, your dish and your yagi for VHF/UHF are covered.
Scooper, a correction is in order from your statement. While you are quite correct that OTARD does not cover ham gear, it allows a broader range of antennae than you indicate. Antenna types covered by OTARD:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via MMDS (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite. This type is not very common BTW.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.

-and-

(4) An antenna that is designed to receive and enable internet access. I have one of these on the side of my house btw mounted on a surplus DBS dish pipe mount:

http://www.ydi.com/products/etherant-2.php

Also, I would suggest that the person who originally started this thread refer to my earler posts for more specific details on dealing with HOAs. See:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rs#post2185227

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I've read the OTARD - and I remember reading those specific paragraphs as well. It's just that the context for this thread was dishes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the military, and at all stations I have been assigned, mounting dishes on Government Quarters has not been allowed. Do you think this FCC ruling could outtrump, the housing officers policies? I would love to get Sat TV.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klondikejim
I am in the military, and at all stations I have been assigned, mounting dishes on Government Quarters has not been allowed. Do you think this FCC ruling could outtrump, the housing officers policies? I would love to get Sat TV.
Wow, I've never seen one like this one before...........

I would think that since you don't own the roof or struture, DoD policy must prevail, but I could be wrong.

Scooper or anyone else got a lid on this?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klondikejim
If you can't mount the dish to your quarters, how about on a pole just outside and bury the cable..........??

·
Registered
33 Posts
as the housing policy is now, they dont allow any dishes. I know these rules started back in the C band days, you would think they would adjust them with that new technology, but as you know, the Government is slow to change. I was just curious if I could present the law to the housing officer, without getting in trouble. No one likes a troublemaker, and one ALWAYS wants to keep the housing officer happy. Who knows what he could do to ones living situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Or you can try one of these.......

w w w cubsat dot net

Or how about painting the dish the same color as the garage! Or better still there are plastic covers for dish that look like the American flag, they just slip over the dish, now who is going to ask you to take down the nations flag!

Dont give up on satellite!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Camo and subterfuge is great, but seriously, we are in Alaska, which requires bigger dishes, therefore, hard to hide. I was just curious if anyone has broached the subject on this FCC deal, as it pertains to Government Housing. Difficult in the military to put yourself on the line, and say, "You guys are breaking FCC Law" without steping on a few persons toes. Just was curious if anyone had faught policy on those grounds.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Which seems REALLY STRANGE to me - as an ex-military member...

I don't remember reading anything exempting military bases from FCC regs regarding antennas and dishes in the OTARD...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.