AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so probably going with either one of these. but I believe they don't handle whole house audio or video distribution well. true? if so what can I implement to handle this...especially audio? thanks

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
so probably going with either one of these. but I believe they don't handle whole house audio or video distribution well. true? if so what can I implement to handle this...especially audio? thanks
Well, they can handle A/V decently, like some of the older Crestron etc... style systems. But the world has moved on. I think what you really want for A/V, esp whole house audio, is a model where you have Google cast devices (Chromecast Audios in my case), feeding amplifiers directly, and all the control coming from hub/homes and mobile devices, including multizone synced playback.

Keypads that go up on walls tend to become obsolete rapidly and lag behind google/apple/amazon applications support. My approach is much cheaper as well.

Video is more complicated. I rip all my DVDs/BR's to a NAS, and make them available by Plex. LiveTV is done with cable card and plex and recording going to the same NAS and done in plex. And I put android TV boxes on all the TV's that support Plex, Youtube, Disney+, Hulu etc... I put the boxes at the TV's, and then run the audio back to receivers, so no switching is needed, and I don't have to deal with the situation of a cable between a receiver and the TV becoming obsolete because of a new version of HDMI being released. I use Harmony remotes for TV's that drive audio with a reciever, and the STB remote for the other TV's that drive the WHA system speakers. Works well, and my wife can use it without much fuss.

Homeseer isn't involved in playback, but can tell what's being played, where it's being played, and can even control the harmony remotes and switch modes,. etc... So when a TV goes active in the living room, it can control the lighting and set the HVAC appropriately, etc... It can let me know if the kids are playing music too loud as well. :)

But if you like to use something like a Satellite set top box, and use the video provider's gear, it's much more complicated, and doesn't deal with streaming integration nearly as well. They are going out of style, but many people still prefer that model.

good luck,
mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t know much about Homeseer, but I do know they have drivers for Nuvo whole home audio systems.

Nuvo also has keypads, which i particularly like. They’re simple with volume & transport controls, and a top 5 favorites button.

The new Nuvo 5050, 5100, 5200, & P600 players also have Airplay 2. All of those players have line inputs as well; I know in Control4, Vantage, etc the drivers allow the inputs to show up as a virtual matrix allowing you to route other signals into the system outside of the built in streaming services. There is an input for each zone; so the 5xxx which are 3-zone players have three inputs, and the single zone P600 has a single input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Well, they can handle A/V decently, like some of the older Crestron etc... style systems. But the world has moved on. I think what you really want for A/V, esp whole house audio, is a model where you have Google cast devices (Chromecast Audios in my case), feeding amplifiers directly, and all the control coming from hub/homes and mobile devices, including multizone synced playback.

Keypads that go up on walls tend to become obsolete rapidly and lag behind google/apple/amazon applications support. My approach is much cheaper as well.

Video is more complicated. I rip all my DVDs/BR's to a NAS, and make them available by Plex. LiveTV is done with cable card and plex and recording going to the same NAS and done in plex. And I put android TV boxes on all the TV's that support Plex, Youtube, Disney+, Hulu etc... I put the boxes at the TV's, and then run the audio back to receivers, so no switching is needed, and I don't have to deal with the situation of a cable between a receiver and the TV becoming obsolete because of a new version of HDMI being released. I use Harmony remotes for TV's that drive audio with a reciever, and the STB remote for the other TV's that drive the WHA system speakers. Works well, and my wife can use it without much fuss.

Homeseer isn't involved in playback, but can tell what's being played, where it's being played, and can even control the harmony remotes and switch modes,. etc... So when a TV goes active in the living room, it can control the lighting and set the HVAC appropriately, etc... It can let me know if the kids are playing music too loud as well. :)

But if you like to use something like a Satellite set top box, and use the video provider's gear, it's much more complicated, and doesn't deal with streaming integration nearly as well. They are going out of style, but many people still prefer that model.

good luck,
mike
Mike, Your information is not up to date. Chromecast is not a very good solution as the basis of a whole house system. Google killed chromecast audio devices (like they do most every product they introduce). myServer supports Chromecast via Plex so the statement is not because of a limitation of myServer. Allonis supports all DLNA devices (lots of them) as well. We have our own line of DLNA audio products. Or use your own DLNA device as DLNA is a STANDARD that is used by many companies (unlike proprietary Chromecast). Put them in a rack and use central wiring, or put them next to a room's AV setup as an input, or connect the amp versions directly to traditional speakers - using WiFi or Ethernet.
myServer can manage a renderer, or can also render audio on it's own.

As far as "going out of style"...that can be said of any solution. The set top box is still here for years and is the defacto standard.

Again, the comments are not because of a limitation of myServer as it supports all of the described architectures and approaches. But there are good reasons to not use Chromecast as the basis of a whole house media system. Good that it's working for you though for your needs.

Recommended is to wire a central rack components feeding speaker wires to the zones you want audio or video in. More expensive but most versatile, reliable, clean, less stuff in the rooms, most amount of compatible equipment, most stable across years. This is if you can run the wires.

If wires can't be run, then ethernet or finally WiFi players connected to equipment in the room.

Pick who you are (for your playlists and favorites), pick what Room (zone) you want to enjoy media, select audio or video, pick a source (Pandora, Internet Radio etc), pick which channel (your favorite), change the volume, enjoy. The next time you use the system, just hit Play to reuse the above settings you already set. Simple. The automation controller takes care of the software, content, streamers, players, amps, etc. for the user. The automation controller insulates the user from having to understand the system architecture, the devices, the sources etc. Creates consistency of user experience across disparate devices and services.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm shoulder-deep in the Homeseer camp, integrating it with my legacy NuVo GC system, so I'll add my thoughts. IMHO, there are a few fundamental questions you should ask yourself about how involved you want to be in maintaining the system. Ergo DIY vs Fixed solution. Do you want to put everything together yourself, or pay someone else to do it? And then the the second question you should ask is how you want to access your system. Are you OK taking out your phone every time you want to listen to music? Do you want voice access? Do you want wallstation access? Do you want all three?

My thoughts on Homeseer - As far as Home automation, I'd put Homeseer in the "light-touch" department. It can serve as the glue to many things- but not without some tinkering. Homeseer integrates with a bunch of 3rd party music solutions, can be expanded with a little effort to integrate with anything that has a published API, and is very price competitive. It has a downside, in that to get it to work properly typically requires a fair amount of "you-time". The music plugins are all maintained by 3rd parties, who IMHO have varying skillsets. The Sonos plugin is quite extensive, and works quite well, and is a good example of what can be made to work with a blended multi-room system used in a wallstation environment. The NuVo Portfolio plugin is fairly limited, and doesn't appear to be refreshed all that often. CCA plugins work fine, and that would be an inexpensive solution for an All-phone-control option, so long as Google supports it in their apps.

I myself am on a legacy NuVo multi-room system called Grand Concerto, which was developed in the golden age of published APIs maybe 12 years ago, so I can pretty much interface it with anything that has an API. I've successfully integrated it with a bunch of "has-been" systems using Homeseer, such as Sonos S1, Chromecast Audio, Squeezebox, and now more recently with more modern offerings like NuVo Portfolio, Heos and Airplay 2. Of all the systems I've used, I prefer Heos the most, because they have a well-documented open API, a nice phone App, and decent pricing.

Futureproofing is a tough call, because IMHO the music world is likely going the way of the walled garden, which could render some decisions you make today moot. I've insulated myself fairly well for the next 5 years, so I can punt on any decisions for now. That said, If I were to dump anything start over, I'd probably look at the Heos solution as a foundation, especially because it comes built-in to other goodies, like a high-end media room receiver. BUT - there's limited 3rd party Homeseer support apart from writing your own scripts to access it, as I've done. If you end up going the HS route, you are welcome to have my scripts, but they are specific to my system, so they would only serve as a starting point for you, with more work ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts