AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am planning to equip my basement living room with 5.1 surround sound. It will be used for 75% movies and 25% music. I am also planning to use as a home office with the desks by the back wall. I have attached a floor plan of the room. I am zeroed in on HSU research system. Based on the input I got from HSU, I am planning to purchase the following:

HB1-Mk2 bookshelf speakers (2) go by the side of the TV on a speaker stand.
HB1-Mk2 bookshelf speakers (2) go on the back wall, hung on the wall directly.
HC1-MK2 center that goes above the TV.
VTF-1 MK2 subwoofer goes behind the sofa under the desk.

I hope someone can chime in and answer my following questions.

1. The sofa is going to be about 16 feet away from TV. Are these speakers good enough to listen at that distance?
2. Is the subwoofer adequate for this size room or should I step up?
3. I have a Yamaha RX-V867 receiver/amplifier which I will be using now. I will probably upgrade to a better one in the future.

I appreciate any and all answers. I am little budget minded but ok to spend couple of hundreds more to get the right setup.

arvind.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
The speakers can handle that distance with no problems. As for the sub, can it handle it, well that depends on how much bass you like. At that distance, the sub should be enough for normal people, but the bass won't be breath-taking. There is only so much a 10" driver can do. I would try to go for the VTF2 if you are interested in deep bass. The VTF3 mk5 would give you absolutely tremendous bass in that location.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The biggest problem with your proposed setup IMO is the distance between your display and the seating. If you had a 65" TV, for example, your 16' seating distance would yield an angle of view of 17 degrees. Moving your sofa 8' from the set would provide an angle of view of 33 degrees. That would give you a more cinematic experience.

Secondly, I would position the center of the sofa so that it is equidistant between the side walls. That should improve the acoustics versus having the sofa against the wall.

I agree with the previous posters' advice on the sub upgrade. If you enjoy action or sci-fi flicks, a good sub will make the movie much more enjoyable. I'd go for the VTF-3 if you can swing it.

Good luck with your new HT!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
^^^^^this. Move your seating position much closer and center it. You'll get a much better experience.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Lol, that sub at that proximity to your listening positions will be a lot of fun! Make sure you report back to use how it sounds, it should be pretty amazing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol, that sub at that proximity to your listening positions will be a lot of fun! Make sure you report back to use how it sounds, it should be pretty amazing.
I hope you are being serious. The LOL makes me think otherwise :)

I have another question. At 16" X 8" X 8", the HSU HB-1 MK2, is going to stick out of the wall, I am afraid. Should I opt for a different set of speakers for the surround? Can I mix the speakers this way? If yes, then can someone recommend some good compact speakers that can go with the HSU system?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Since you didn't say what that upper left area is for, my suggestions below might not even apply...also don't know your ceiling height?

Option 1: put the TV and front speakers in the upper left area on the short wall, facing right. Loveseat up front, couch on a riser behind. Hopefully this would leave adequate space for entering the room and walking behind the couch/riser to your desk at the location currently shown. Room width in this left section might prevent you from considering this option, if you can't walk past the couch to get to the loveseat.

Option 2: put the TV and front speakers at the very bottom area (where your desk is shown), facing upwards towards the room entrance. Configure the loveseat/couch as mentioned above. Desk would now be located in the upper left area. This arrgt might also allow bar stools set up in a third row for bigger gatherings for movies, sports, etc.

Also, if your Yamaha has preouts for external amps, I'd personally keep it for now and just upgrade that way down the road. Also, you might plan for room treatments too...always improvements to make! :)

Just throwing out ideas, from my own media room buildout two years ago, and a second row/riser addition about five months ago.

Edit: both options would be facing away from the "eyesore" box covering the water meter. Maybe the barstool folk could use it to set their drinks on! Just take your time to plan it all out - you'll be much happier in the long run, IMO.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
At 16" X 8" X 8", the HSU HB-1 MK2, is going to stick out of the wall, I am afraid. Should I opt for a different set of speakers for the surround?
Ideally every speaker should be the same make & model so when sounds pan around the room the character of the sound stays the same. I'd recommend not only using the HB-1's for the mains & surrounds, but the center channel as well. The traditional Mid-Tweet-Mid center channel design compromises off-axis sound since the audio's arrival time from each mid driver will be different. It may not look as nice using an HB-1 as a CC, but it should sound better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ideally every speaker should be the same make & model so when sounds pan around the room the character of the sound stays the same. I'd recommend not only using the HB-1's for the mains & surrounds, but the center channel as well. The traditional Mid-Tweet-Mid center channel design compromises off-axis sound since the audio's arrival time from each mid driver will be different. It may not look as nice using an HB-1 as a CC, but it should sound better.
Thank you Henrich3. I will go with the HB1s.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I hope you are being serious. The LOL makes me think otherwise :)

I have another question. At 16" X 8" X 8", the HSU HB-1 MK2, is going to stick out of the wall, I am afraid. Should I opt for a different set of speakers for the surround? Can I mix the speakers this way? If yes, then can someone recommend some good compact speakers that can go with the HSU system?
You will see what I mean when you hear it, it will be cool. As for the speakers, like Henrich said, you can use the bookshelf just as easily as the center for the same channel. It's not optimal, but horizontally aligned drivers are never optimal. One thing you will want to do is rotate the tweeter horn, as the HB-1 horn is aligned for vertical orientation. This is easy though, it only takes 5 minutes and a philips head screwdriver. Just unscrew the horn, rotate it 90 degrees, and screw it back in, and you are done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you didn't say what that upper left area is for, my suggestions below might not even apply...also don't know your ceiling height?

Option 1: put the TV and front speakers in the upper left area on the short wall, facing right. Loveseat up front, couch on a riser behind. Hopefully this would leave adequate space for entering the room and walking behind the couch/riser to your desk at the location currently shown. Room width in this left section might prevent you from considering this option, if you can't walk past the couch to get to the loveseat.

Option 2: put the TV and front speakers at the very bottom area (where your desk is shown), facing upwards towards the room entrance. Configure the loveseat/couch as mentioned above. Desk would now be located in the upper left area. This arrgt might also allow bar stools set up in a third row for bigger gatherings for movies, sports, etc.

Also, if your Yamaha has preouts for external amps, I'd personally keep it for now and just upgrade that way down the road. Also, you might plan for room treatments too...always improvements to make! :)

Just throwing out ideas, from my own media room buildout two years ago, and a second row/riser addition about five months ago.

Edit: both options would be facing away from the "eyesore" box covering the water meter. Maybe the barstool folk could use it to set their drinks on! Just take your time to plan it all out - you'll be much happier in the long run, IMO.
The height of the room is about 7'. The material above is a drop ceiling.

Option #2 is out because I have a electric main switch board on the wall and I cannot hang TV on that wall. Option #1 looks good to me except that the eye sore box comes right in the middle. I know it doesn't look that apparent in the picture but in person it looks pretty dumb thing right in the middle.

I see that a lot of people have a riser and it looks great actually. In my case however, riser may not work. This is not a dedicated theater room. The room is a multi purpose room. I have young kids who hang out with their friends in this room. I have my home office there. Occasionally the family gets together as well in this area. Only after the kids go to sleep this becomes a theater for me and my wife :). Therefore a riser will have to wait until we can pack off the kids to college!

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Option #2 is out because I have a electric main switch board on the wall and I cannot hang TV on that wall.
Yep, that'd be a problem! Extreme solution would be a projector and retractable screen, but that's a whole new ballgame... ;)

Option #1 looks good to me except that the eye sore box comes right in the middle. I know it doesn't look that apparent in the picture but in person it looks pretty dumb thing right in the middle.
How tall is the "box" that's there, above the floor? Pictures? Maybe build a shelf unit above the box for your displaying pictures etc, with removable panels on the bottom to access the water meter. Or use the shelving for AV gear since the TV/front speakers would be just to the right.

I see that a lot of people have a riser and it looks great actually. In my case however, riser may not work. This is not a dedicated theater room. The room is a multi purpose room. I have young kids who hang out with their friends in this room. I have my home office there. Occasionally the family gets together as well in this area. Only after the kids go to sleep this becomes a theater for me and my wife :). Therefore a riser will have to wait until we can pack off the kids to college!
Ah, makes complete sense. Should you do go a bit crazy with the room, a riser can be simple and cheap to build. I was able to build mine in the garage and walk straight into the media room, though suspect you'd need to build it inside the room. Here's a link to a picture of the riser base (2x8 frame, 2x6 stringers) being assembled, before added insulation and OSB top and hauling downstairs. I don't remember the exact cost, but less than $100 for everything, less the stick-on carpet squares which were ~$90.

BTW, I also agree with the others about your subwoofer - consider moving up the line if you can...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, that'd be a problem! Extreme solution would be a projector and retractable screen, but that's a whole new ballgame... ;)
Now we are talking :). Looked into how much it would set me back and realized that there is no way I can do this now. I guess that is something I can do in future. Thank you for the suggestion though.

How tall is the "box" that's there, above the floor? Pictures? Maybe build a shelf unit above the box for your displaying pictures etc, with removable panels on the bottom to access the water meter. Or use the shelving for AV gear since the TV/front speakers would be just to the right.
The height is about 25". I am planning to stain it and have a granite slab on top of it and keep pictures and stuff. It should be fine in the current layout. If I used the original layout then the box is definitely right in the middle messing up the whole room.

Ah, makes complete sense. Should you do go a bit crazy with the room, a riser can be simple and cheap to build. I was able to build mine in the garage and walk straight into the media room, though suspect you'd need to build it inside the room. Here's a link to a picture of the riser base (2x8 frame, 2x6 stringers) being assembled, before added insulation and OSB top and hauling downstairs. I don't remember the exact cost, but less than $100 for everything, less the stick-on carpet squares which were ~$90.
Thanks for the link. It is a sick thread by the way. You got me thinking into the riser thing. Next year may be.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts

BTW, I also agree with the others about your subwoofer - consider moving up the line if you can...
With a 7' ceiling, risers are pretty much out as an option.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Now we are talking :). Looked into how much it would set me back and realized that there is no way I can do this now. I guess that is something I can do in future. Thank you for the suggestion though.
You'd be surprised how little you could spend on a PJ+screen, if you search for good deals! My house purchase about 2.5 years ago came with an older 720p Optoma and manual pull-down ~92" dia. screen, which was my first entry into the PJ arena. After redoing the media room in general about six months later (new lighting/paint/dark rugs/in-wall surrounds & wiring), I upgraded to a used Epson 7500UB via CL for $700 (IIRC, might have been $750) and a 135" fixed frame Elite screen via Amazon open box deal ($335). Instant home theater! :D

With a 7' ceiling, risers are pretty much out as an option.
Not necessarily 100%, if only doing a single riser. My second-row riser (fixed seats, so riser only about 42" deep) which is about 8"+ high, is about two inches from the back wall, with a 7' soffit overhead that comes out about 30" from the back wall. The attached pic shows the basic riser in place - before the carpet tiles and before replacing the director's chairs with dark club chairs similar to this style. You can see the soffit above, with the PJ just forward of it. Granted the main ceiling is at 8', but seems a full-room 7' ceiling should only come into play when people are standing on the riser. Once seated, I wouldn't think the 7' ceiling would matter too much...IMO, of course. I might feel differently if my entire ceiling was only 7'...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
You'd be surprised how little you could spend on a PJ+screen, if you search for good deals! My house purchase about 2.5 years ago came with an older 720p Optoma and manual pull-down ~92" dia. screen, which was my first entry into the PJ arena. After redoing the media room in general about six months later (new lighting/paint/dark rugs/in-wall surrounds & wiring), I upgraded to a used Epson 7500UB via CL for $700 (IIRC, might have been $750) and a 135" fixed frame Elite screen via Amazon open box deal ($335). Instant home theater! :D

Not necessarily 100%, if only doing a single riser. My second-row riser (fixed seats, so riser only about 42" deep) which is about 8"+ high, is about two inches from the back wall, with a 7' soffit overhead that comes out about 30" from the back wall. The attached pic shows the basic riser in place - before the carpet tiles and before replacing the director's chairs with dark club chairs similar to this style. You can see the soffit above, with the PJ just forward of it. Granted the main ceiling is at 8', but seems a full-room 7' ceiling should only come into play when people are standing on the riser. Once seated, I wouldn't think the 7' ceiling would matter too much...IMO, of course. I might feel differently if my entire ceiling was only 7'...
Well, at 6'5", I have a different perspective. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts