AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me in my quest for the truth? I'm looking for current, accurate retail sales numbers for the following:

HD DVD

Standalone Players

Xbox 360 add-on

Discs
Blu-ray

Standalone Players

PS3

Discs
I freely admit my ever-increasing bias towards HD DVD, but often find it difficult to defend my position in trying to convince others from a market perspective for lack of reliable numbers. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma /forum/post/0


your numbers are coming from what credible source? Report, date or issue number plz?
360 92,000 sold

You can also do a google search and get many other sources for this

100,000 Toshiba HD DVD players


You can also do a google search and get many more sites which have this number. These are really the only official numbers that are out there unfortunately
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up5dn /forum/post/0


You want honest retail numbers?


HD-DVD player - $249.00


BD player - $999.00 +




Chris.....

wrong wrong wrong a standalone is $699 at b&m stores


killer deal huh you pay about 3x the money. and you get the same picture quality and sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

360 92,000 sold

You can also do a google search and get many other sources for this

100,000 Toshiba HD DVD players


You can also do a google search and get many more sites which have this number. These are really the only official numbers that are out there unfortunately

Not yanking your chain, and I'm not a BD fan or foe, but when you put out numbers, have a credible source to back it up with or it's meaningless. Thanks for the links.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Although I own a HD DVD player I am really format neutral but in the BD forum seems like most of the people own PS3 not a standalone player if that is the case I don't see blueray as stong in the war as most people buy PS3 to play games with movies as a second thought Just my .02 cents. The low cost of HD DVD standalone players will eventually make it the leader. Blueray sells more movies because there catalog is bigger if any of the BD studio's should start making HD disc too those numbers will surely change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,562 Posts
Sales numbers are so subjective...we'll never know the truth... So who cares.


Software sales is better tracked and the best way to gauge a format's health.


But there are other things to consider.


You get more potential exclusive titles with Blu Ray.

Better player reliability with Blu Ray.

Far more titles with lossless sound (most HD DVD's use lossy DD+)

Less disc playback issues with Blu Ray


You get a cheaper player with HD DVD.

You get the Matrix on HD DVD


You get the best of both worlds with both players. I have the Panny BD and an XA2. I like them both.


Bottom line, the format war will be around for a long time and, thus, 2 separate libraries of HD films. The best bet is to invest in both formats rather than deprive yourself of half the HD content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0


Sales numbers are so subjective...we'll never know the truth... So who cares.


Software sales is better tracked and the best way to gauge a format's health.


But there are other things to consider.


You get more potential exclusive titles with Blu Ray.

Better player reliability with Blu Ray.

Far more titles with lossless sound (most HD DVD's use lossy DD+)

Less disc playback issues with Blu Ray


You get a cheaper player with HD DVD.

You get the Matrix on HD DVD


You get the best of both worlds with both players. I have the Panny BD and an XA2. I like them both.


Bottom line, the format war will be around for a long time and, thus, 2 separate libraries of HD films. The best bet is to invest in both formats rather than deprive yourself of half the HD content.

That's the way I see it too as soon as I make a decision on which BD. player I am going to get one so I can watch what ever I want in both formats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn /forum/post/0


Although I own a HD DVD player I am really format neutral but in the BD forum seems like most of the people own PS3 not a standalone player if that is the case I don't see blueray as stong in the war as most people buy PS3 to play games with movies as a second thought Just my .02 cents. The low cost of HD DVD standalone players will eventually make it the leader. Blueray sells more movies because there catalog is bigger if any of the BD studio's should start making HD disc too those numbers will surely change.

Not true. I think more and more people are getting a PS3 to use as an inexpensive Blu-ray player. It's arguably the best Blu-ray player out there. That's the reason I got one - Blu-ray. Yes, I own three games but I never play them. Also own an XA2. Format-neutrality is HD heaven...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa /forum/post/0


Format-neutrality is HD heaven...


With that statement my friend you are so true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
If you've got a lot of money, and just as important, a lot of free TIME, then get both.


As for me, I have very little free time, so I bought a refurb XA1 for $200ish - a great upconverting player and I get HD-DVD as a bonus. No need for me to spend the money on the BD player, when I don't have enough time to watch the movies I already have, or are coming out on HD-DVD.


In a couple of years, if BD is still around, I'll pick up a cheap BD or combo player.


For now, I think HD-DVD is the way to go if you can only get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma /forum/post/0


Not yanking your chain, and I'm not a BD fan or foe, but when you put out numbers, have a credible source to back it up with or it's meaningless. Thanks for the links.

I can put more sources if you don't think those are credible


92,000 360 HD DVD players
Engadget HD


100,000 HD DVD stand alones
Highdefdigest


Provifing links is pretty much the best I can here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,697 Posts
The problem with the original poster's premise is he is sort of suggesting that if he had accurate current retail sales numbers he might be able to predict the outcome of the format war.


However, even with perfect numbers, as long as the combined sales for both formats is less than a percent of total DVD sales, any predictions based on those statistics would merely be predicting what an insignificant niche market of enthusiasts are likely to do, not what the mass market is likely to do. The fact is that until recently, player pricing hasn't even been close to what the mass market requires to pique their interest.


Jeff's (theBland) simplistic point is irrefutable. If you don't mind spending the extra money, hedge your bets, go format neutral and forget about predicting.


However, if you don't want to buy two players or a universal player, then you have a lot of factors to consider in predicting a winner. Of course with such meager sales numbers, a change in any influencing factor is prone to quickly change sales almost over night. Therefore, simple trendlines based even on accurate retail sales, might still not yield reliable predictions of what the mass market is ultimately going to do.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0


I can put more sources if you don't think those are credible


92,000 360 HD DVD players
Engadget HD


100,000 HD DVD stand alones
Highdefdigest


Provifing links is pretty much the best I can here

No.. we're cool. I meant when you originally quote numbers, just like in a book or a news article, the sources are always referenced to give credibility to the statements. Your statements didn't do this originally, hence the numbers can be considered by others to just be your own, personal stab in the dark unless you provide some reference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma /forum/post/0


No.. we're cool. I meant when you originally quote numbers, just like in a book or a news article, the sources are always referenced to give credibility to the statements. Your statements didn't do this originally, hence the numbers can be considered by others to just be your own, personal stab in the dark unless you provide some reference.

oh ok gotcha
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top