AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm ready to pluck down the money for a HD receiver, will I expect the HD pictures viewing comes out just like a progressive scan dvd player hooked up by component cables or better?

I have a Toshiba 65" HD ready rear projection with no DVI input, only components and S video inputs.

If the HD receiver comes out better than the dvd player it will really be worth it.

Any honest opinions is deeply appreciated. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Toshiba cinema series 50 inch using RCN Moto 510dct box component out.

I also own the Panny xp-30 for dvd viewing.

quality is very close depending on the quality of the transfer. LOTR twin towers looks superb.

I will say this the hd channels especially ABC MNF, HDNET

I will watch just about anything that is on in HD> I would def upgrade.

On a 1080i channel like PBS it beats the prog dvd by a little bit.

Be warned though.. once you see hdtv you will not want to watch anything in 480i, it really ruins it.

Hope this helps...

By the way do you have cable, sat, etc??

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I would agree - to me, HD programming is definitely better than watching DVDs. And I was surprised at that; I thought it would just be comparable. Any time I have someone over, I show them the PBS HD demo loop, and they're amazed. And MNF is a joy.

I have a Hitachi 51UWX20B, Sammy SIR-T151, and an interlaced DVD player, so I can't really compare to a progressive scan DVD (although the Hit does a great job of scaling).

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I just got HD in the past couple of weeks (Sony 46" CRT based RPTV, and Samsung SIR-T160 using both OTA & DirecTV, fwiw). So far, I'd say it varies widely, based on the material and the transfer. I've seen HD broadcasts that look much better than DVD, and some that actually look worse. I've seen HD broadcasts that look worse than Fox's "enhanced resolution" 480P broadcasts, but of course Fox 480p can't compete with a good 720p or 1080i broadcast.

When it's good, it's incredible. When it's bad, well, it's generally still better than SD broadcasts.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have on several occasions gone between DVD and HiDef. For example watching Schrek on DVD you think it just can't get any better and then you see in HiDef and you are suddenly saying, boy that DVD is blurry....you will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do have to say though that I am a bit disappointed in the haphazard manner that HD content is available. Don't get me wrong - the picture is amazing but I don't like the fact that it switches to 4X3 during commercials and sometimes the local broadcasters forget to "flip the switch" during an HD broadcast. I just don't think HD is quite ready for primetime for the masses. The picture is amazing though - after watching Monday Night Football, I really find it hard to watch a SD broadcast of a football game.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On a big TV (more than 40") HD will make a big difference for you. Smaller than that, I don't believe it will, unless you have really good vision. :)

The fact is that 20/20 vision gives the eye a resolution of about 1/60th of a degree "dot pitch", or something around there I believe. When choosing resolutions for HDTV, manufacturers undoubtedly took this and the average viewing distance into account. The length between you and your TV is supposed to be double the screen size. I saw someone do the math right (I may have the numbers slightly wrong), but it showed that when the viewing distance was double the screen size, the minimum horizontal resolution the eye could see was actually greater than the dot pitch of the HDTV, meaning that HDTV has a HIGHER resolution, at optimal viewing distance, than the 20/20 human eye can discern.

Long story short, if your TV is much smaller than 1/2 your viewing distance, HD resolutions will be somewhat lost on you, at least in comparison to 480p DVDs. If your TV is larger than 1/2 your viewing distance, you'll want HDTV or better resolution. So in your case, you're likely not sitting 10+ feet away from your TV, so I'd guess that you'll benefit substantially from HD compared to DVD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the feedbacks, I'm going to order from D* today. I think it will be well worth it from all the replies. We cannot get cable tv here, ony satellite because I live way out in the boondock 6 miles past Time Warner cable borderline. One more important question, is anyone using a 5 X 8 cascadable switch? I was told I needed one because I'm running Ultimate TV and all 4 inputs from the dish is full (2 inputs to Ultimate and 2 to other 2 receivers in other rooms) and the switch is 427.00 from smarthome.com?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxshepard
Thank you all for the feedbacks, I'm going to order from D* today. I think it will be well worth it from all the replies. We cannot get cable tv here, ony satellite because I live way out in the boondock 6 miles past Time Warner cable borderline. One more important question, is anyone using a 5 X 8 cascadable switch? I was told I needed one because I'm running Ultimate TV and all 4 inputs from the dish is full (2 inputs to Ultimate and 2 to other 2 receivers in other rooms) and the switch is 427.00 from smarthome.com?
Will the new HDTV receiver/STB replace one of your current receivers? If so, you will most likely not need a new multiswitch. I did and purchased a 5x8 from this guy on e-bay for less than $100 last year. I see that he does not have the exact model I purchased but here is an example:

66.135.192.135/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32840&item=3045899775

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I also have a Toshiba 65" widescreen TV. I can tell you that HD is much better than DVD. As good as DVD is, HD is much better. However, some HD broadcasts are not up to the capabilities of HD. They are getting better. Still, virtually all HD is the same or better than DVD. Discovery HD and the local PBS HD loop have the truly outstanding HD that I show to my friends.

Rick R

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered from D*, total price is 443.00 and installer with box will be here this Friday afternoon, will post outcome.

Rick, is yours a 65H80 and was there any problem with it?

Gr8reb8, the D*rep said hooking the HD box together with the UltimateTV box will save me 5.00 per month and plenty of customers are doing it with Tivo and Ultimate, I'm waiting to see how much the installer will hit me for the cascade switch if needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.