AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really stuck here so hopefully I can be detailed enough not to turn this into a tomato throwing thread.

Here is my room: 20x16x8(?) One large opening, one small opening.

HT 95% Music 5% (could change though meaning more music)

I have done tons of research so I will post my concerns over both and my questions.

SVS PB12-ISD

cons:

smaller amp vs the HSU

Some say suffers from "one note" syndrome

HSU VTF3-MKII

cons:

Bottoms out when pushed too hard

Price is $100 more or so after shipping

I looked into the tubes but I really think my wife would freak. I really want this sub to go low but be accurate. I guess thats what everyone wants. I also havent ruled out the HSU STF3, the amp is smaller so I was worried I would need the extra power in my room. If anyone who owns either of these can talk about my concerns specifically, that would be great. I already know the plus side of these subs. Thanks.

· Registered
15,021 Posts
I have an older VTF-3 in a 14x18x9 room. I think it is great and it has never come close to bottoming out or pushed.

The PB12-ISD, STF-3, or VTF-3MK2 will have no problem with your room.

If you can, it is best to try to listen to the different offerings. While spec. sheets offer value for window shopping, the subs sound different in person.

· Registered
392 Posts
Like Curtis said any of those three subs would work fine, and the VTF-3 does not bottom out easily, any sub will bottom if pushed too hard, that is a given and should not be a concern with the VTF-3, just calibrate it and you should never have to worry about it. Also the 30 watt difference between the amp on the HSU and the SVS is negligible and should not be a factor in your decision. Honestly if it was me I would probably go with the VTF-3, but with either sub I am pretty sure you will end up happy and probably not even think “I wonder how the SVS (or HSU) would have soundedâ€.

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, interesting responses. The thing with the amp thing is I am wondering how much clean output at around 20 or below these subs would get. Now I know they arent tuned that low but lets be honest, well would like output that low.

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes thats a good read but it doesnt have much about the VTF3 in there. Since the VTF has a 50 watt advantage over the STF3 so I expect it would have a greater output at lower levels, is this accurate? Plus, I am more curious as to direct experience with some of the concerns I had.

· Registered
6,308 Posts
Quote:
Since the VTF has a 50 watt advantage over the STF3 so I expect it would have a greater output at lower levels, is this accurate?
Just comparing wattage as you're doing, the difference is less than 1dB.

I believe the STF is tuned higher, so a 20Hz tuning could certainly give the VTF the edge down there.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
The watt difference doesn't mean much between these subs. If everything but power level remains the same it takes doubling the power for every three 3dB increase in sound. I haven't heard of VTF-3s bottoming out.

· Registered
3,536 Posts
I also have a VTF-3(R) and have never bottomed it out. Which one of the 3 is cheapest? I'll bet you could not distinguish between them in a blind test...

John

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, I was thinking that myself. Would I really hear the difference? Especially between the ST3 and VTF3. I might catch differences with the SVS but theres only one way to find out. My WAF is going to dictate what I can do as far as a sub. I can only have one show up because Im padding what its going to cost : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.