AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mesa, Ariz., April 1, 2015 - As a leader in the cinema, home theater, and Pro-AV screen industry, Severtson Corporation (www.SevertsonScreens.com) has a history of creating top quality screens, screen materials, and screen coatings. Today, on the USA day of pranks known as "April Fool's Day", 2015, Severtson is making history once again with the announcement of a revolutionary product: a postcard-sized screen that expands to full size as soon as it is thoroughly moistened in water.

"It sounds unbelievable, too good to be true," said Toby Severtson, CEO of Severtson Corporation. "But this is no joke. We've invented cinema screens that increase in size - astronomically expand - when they get wet. With the space-age technology and techniques we use here at Severtson, we can make a screen as small as a postcard which makes shipping a breeze anywhere in the world! All the installers have to do is open the envelope, pour some water on the screen, stand back, and watch the magic happen."

These "Just Add Water" screens (or JAW screens, for short) are engineered to expand one time, and one time only. They will not contract or expand thereafter, even if exposed to excessive heat, or put in a room with a humidifier. The permanent nature of these JAW screens prevents against possible shrinkage or growth caused by angry movie-goers armed with hair-dryers or water balloons.

Once water is added to the dehydrated screen and the expansion is complete, screens can range in size from small home theater screens to massive sixty-feet-tall and hundred-feet-wide movie screens. Smaller screens will require the addition of less water, while larger screens will require the addition of more water. Roughly, one cup of water is added for every five square feet of final screen size. Again, the initial expansion is final, and therefore crucial. Severtson Corporation is concerned that inexperienced do-it-yourself'ers will attempt to avoid a reputable installer and accidently apply too much water, resulting in a giant format cinema screen instead of the smaller Mom & Pop sized screen they originally desired.

Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of these new JAW screens is their low cost of shipping. Severtson customers have already seen the significant savings that have sprung from the ever-popular folded SēVision 3D GX screens that ship in small wooden boxes. Since these JAW screens can fit inside small padded envelopes, shipping costs are reduced to nearly the same cost as a simple letter.

How did the invention of these new screens come about? It all started when Kirk Severtson, CTO and head of research and development, was working on new ways to fit screens into smaller packages. "I was taking a break outside, drinking a cup of water, and thinking. It was a nice morning with a clear blue sky. I gazed down at the water in my cup, and I thought, 'I love water. Water makes sponges grow. Water makes flowers grow. Why can't water make movie screens grow?' And that's when the idea for the expandable screens came to me."

From that moment, Kirk pursued the dream of creating JAW screens. But making the dream a reality was another matter entirely. "I knew it was going to be difficult," said Kirk, "so I consulted a long-time friend of mine who is a lot smarter than me, Dr. April McFoolerson."

Dr. April McFoolerson is a professor of Hydro-Science and the Physics of Expansion at Foolerton University. When questioned, all April would say is, "Go away! I won't be revealing my mysterious and multitudinous methods for making movie screens expand with water. My methods are simply too mysterious and multitudinous to be revealed."

Severtson believes these new JAW screens will be the next big innovation of the cinema screens industry and is ramping up productions to meet their forecasted demand. JAW screens will be available in all of Severtson's industry respected Stellar White and SēVision GX 3D coatings and gain levels as well as acoustic transparent options of both standard & micro perforations. Dan Maxwell, COO & VP of the Cinema Screen division at Severtson stated, "Due to our folded screen technology and coating, it has enabled us to create the JAW screen that can be expanded to virtually any size without damaging the screen's surface or coating. It's the perfect answer for what was once an impossible scenario for a large format cinematic 2D or 3D screen."

Paul Whetten, Severtson's comptroller, is thrilled with the profit potential of the new JAW screens. "The margin on these screens is so unbelievable that I literally don't believe it. Our liquidity will increase by hundreds of thousands of gallons!" Whetten said thirstily.

The new JAW Stellar White and SēVision 3D GX Cinema Projection Screens include all the same specifications Severtson is recognized for with all their screens:

• coated surface that is harder to bruise and scuff
  • small micron flake coating produces a sharper image, eliminating graininess in bright scenes
  • viewing angles range from 30 to 40 degree half-gain depending on the specific screen gain requested
  • water-based coating promotes longevity by maintaining optical properties over time, eliminating flaking and cracking of the screen surface

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
I've been at their shop about 6 miles from me! Today I bought the screen carried it home. And I went swimming in my backyard watching. A very large white screen. I am waiting for a waterproof tint projector which expands in water to use with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts