AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 7.1 surround sound system for my new home I'll be moving into the first of the year.

Would like to hook an HDTV and my PC to an audio receiver.

Don't have a TV yet, but will get a late model, higher end HDTV sometime in the future. Also, do not have a receiver yet, and don't really know anything about them and don't know what to look for.

The PC I have has an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (NewEgg.com Item # N82E16813131365R ), which has an S/PDIF Out, 1x Coaxial, 1x Optical.

I don't have a speaker system yet (what I have now is several speaker sets rigged into one system for my PC, but only as a left and right channel, not "true" surround sound). A friend has a couple BOSE Acoustimass (they are the AM-5 if that matters) hooked to his laptop PC, two for the "center" speakers on his HDTV home theater, and a couple on his golf cart. They sound INCREDIBLE on each application. I'm thinkin' of going with the BOSE Acoustimass cube speakers for my setup because they sound great, are compact, and look nice.

By the way, I first posted this on another website (before I found this one) and I was recommended an Onkyo HTS system. On this website, I read 7 or 8 pages out of however pages there are on the thread about the Onkyo HTS990 system. It seems to be an excellent system, but, perhaps something better could be done by buying everything separate. I just need some help on everything! lol

On the PC and TV I'll be playing games, watching shows and movies in SD and HD via cable, Netflix, and DVD and BD-ROM, and listening to music via HDD, cable, and iPod/iPhone.

So, is it just a matter of getting a nice receiver that'll do 7.1 and getting the right cable to make it work?

Receiver(s) that I should get considering? HDTV(s) I should be considering (thinkin' a Samsung 46" LED-LCD would be sweet, myself
)?

Do I need anything special to make this system easily switchable between PC games on the PC and movies on the TV?

The TV'll also be hooked to the PC, by the way. Although gaming, e-mail, Internet surfing will be done on my three 27" monitors.

I hope this ain't too confusing. lol

Thanks, ya'll!!!

P.S.

Here's my PC specifications:

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT CPU Cooler

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

ASUS EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Times 2 (RAID 0) - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for System Builders

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA

Internal Blu-ray Burner 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20LK

Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared Sensor

Times 2 - Western Digital My Book Essential WDH1U10000N 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Times 3 - LG W2753V-PF Black 27" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package

APC BR1500G 1500 VA 865 Watt 10 Outlets Power Saving Back-UPS RS 1500

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Your video card is limited to three (3) monitor output using Eyefinity, so it will be difficult to add a fourth monitor with your current equipment.

Do you have a free PCIe slot to add another video card? Perhaps a passive (fanless) ATI 5450 with HDMI would do the trick -- costs roughly $30 to $50.

Any receiver you buy would then be seen by Windows as a fourth monitor, and you could output all audio over the 5450's HDMI, as well as video if/when you also want the PC to display on the TV (by manually selecting it via a tray application in Windows).

Your best bet would be to post this question in the Home Theater Computer section of these forums. Perhaps someone who has more experience with ATI's Eyefinity, specifically, could help you there...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I started another thread over in the HTPC section. This forum is absolutely amazing, by the way!

The video card I have has two DVI, one DisplayPort, and one HDMI spot. I know that for Eyefinity only the two DVI and the DisplayPort can be used to make that work, which is what I have going now. I've never tried to hook a fourth display up to it, but it wouldn't work?

Another card may be the way to go. Hmm, never thought about that not working. I do have enough room in my case and on the motherboard for another HD 5870.
But, man, I'm already spending so much money on the new house and other stuff it's not even funny. LOL

Thanks, man

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSANSS /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply. I started another thread over in the HTPC section. This forum is absolutely amazing, by the way!

The video card I have has two DVI, one DisplayPort, and one HDMI spot. I know that for Eyefinity only the two DVI and the DisplayPort can be used to make that work, which is what I have going now. I've never tried to hook a fourth display up to it, but it wouldn't work?

Another card may be the way to go. Hmm, never thought about that not working. I do have enough room in my case and on the motherboard for another HD 5870.
But, man, I'm already spending so much money on the new house and other stuff it's not even funny. LOL

Thanks, man

I read the specs for your card and it said "up to three monitors." But, since you're not currently using the HDMI, you could probably use that for the receiver and just manually switch to that port in Windows whenever you want to output to JUST the TV.

I think you'd have to choose between the TV, -or- the other three monitors, at any given time.

You also don't need a 5870 for home theater. If you go with a second card, in order to run all four monitors at the same time, a 5450 is sufficient for full 1080p and HD audio bitstreaming to your receiver.

Make sense?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get an AV receiver and use your PC as an input to it, then hook your TV to the AV receiver. You shouldn't need to hook both the AV receiver and your PC to the TV.

I suggest you do some serious looking before settling on Bose. You can easily get much better sounding speakers for less money. Read this: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If you want to go with HTIB, Onkyo has what is considered the one of the best, if not the best sounding offerings.

For more money, around what an Acoustimass 16 system costs, you could get a nice AV receiver (eg Onkyo 608) and main speakers from SVS or Ascend Acoustics and a nice 10" sub. Such a system would sound far better than either the Bose or the Onkyo HTIB. The main speakers would be a little larger than the cubes. There's no "magic" to the cube speakers. There are problems related to physics that can't be overcome with design. They just don't go low enough.

Tell us more about your budget and room size.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Ackk, yeah, stay away from that BOSE garbage. Head over to the speaker forum and we'll be glad to help you find a much better solution.

Just out of curiosity, what's your total budget for receiver, speakers, and sub?

A good rule of thumb is to spend 1/3 of the budget on a receiver, and then 2/3 on speakers and a sub...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts