Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I installed a 20db RF amp to improve my picture due to 100' of cable..now I'm getting an audio hum too...anything I can get to fix this...my picture did improve with the amp.

thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mike:

You mentioned that you used 100' of cable. What cable RG-6? RG-59 is not acceptible. Center conductor is too small and shielding is inadequate. You say you used a n RF amp with 20 dBof boost. What brand. It must be a 1 gHz amp. If you have Digital cable , you should use a return path amp, also. What kind of splitters did you use? Should be 1 gHz splitters. 900 mHz splitters don't cut it. Who put the fittings on and who put them on? You should use RG-6 fittings that are properly crimped on. All of these factors are very important, and if you don't do it this way, you likely will have problems. If you do not know the answer to these questions, that explains why you are having these problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using RG-6 cable....not sure of the brand of amplifier...I got it at my local high end stereo shop ....$19.99.......I was able to use it without the splitter......My receiver is a Dish 501PRO ........I could've sworn I saw 2.4Ghz on the back of the amp...I'll have to remove it from the wall and check. The amp is chrome and plugs into the wall......I did notice a screw that can be adjusted on the amp and the word "tilt" is by it...any other suggestions?

Thanks,

MIke

·
Registered
599 Posts
If the audio is buzzing than the visual carriers are bleeding into the aural carriers.

You've got too much gain on your amp.

Go back and get a 10db or adjustable one.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Tilt

Refers to how much gain is on the upper part of the band vs. the lower part of the band

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"If the audio is buzzing than the visual carriers are bleeding into the aural carriers.

You've got too much gain on your amp.

Go back and get a 10db or adjustable one."

Yep, my Wavetek signal analyzer would have indicated the same thing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.